Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infusing flavour into chocolate, how?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I want to make solid chocolates for a gift for someone for Christmas, however I have no idea how to infuse the chocolate with flavour without destroying it.

Any method of infusion that I know requires liquid to be added, but you cannot do that with chocolate. I really don't want to make truffles,as I have to send the gift abroad and have no idea how long shipping might be, plus if they are left until christmas to be opened then will just be vile.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd imagine adding good quality oils or essence would be the way to go or whole or ground spices.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kajor

That's the thing, as far as I can ascertain, you can't add oils or essence to chocolate. If you can I need to know how. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I found this on article on About.com I have no idea how well they work.
    "Oil-based flavorings, sometimes called “candy flavoring,” can be added directly to melted chocolate without causing it to seize. Common oil-based flavorings include mint, cherry, strawberry, hazelnut, cinnamon, and orange. Many of these flavorings are potent—especially mint—and should be used more sparingly than their alcohol-based counterparts. Oil-based flavorings can be found at some specialty cooking stores, craft stores, and online confectionery retailers."
    You should probably experiment first. Here's a link to that page if you care to check out the whole article
    http://candy.about.com/od/workingwithchocolate/a/chocflavors.htm
    hope it's of some help:)

Cheers Deki, I'll give it a go and see what happens. Should I be successful I'll report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

You can add oils to chocolate deffo, I added the orange extract which is oil based to some white chocolate coloured orange lately to make chocolate and orange cake pops.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    You can add oils to chocolate deffo, I added the orange extract which is oil based to some white chocolate coloured orange lately to make chocolate and orange cake pops.

Magic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've had chocolate with cardamom seeds and chocolate with pink pepper corns in, both of which were really good.
    Also, Divine do a 70% with freeze dried raspberries in it which is fantastic too.

Advertisement