Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost power to garage

Options
  • 20-11-2011 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone can help me but I hope so. We have a detached garage with a double flourscent light in it and a freezer. Both of these are run off a double socket (not sure if thats right term sockets side by side in one box). Each has their own plug. I was using chop saw today in garage and piece of wood (logs) got jammed in it so I stopped using cleared jam and went to go on but no power. Worried cause freezer has no power at the mo so I've extenstion lead going to it from house but garage has no power on it own.

There is a single black wire going from ground to the socket box. anyone any ideas? All the switchs in the house fuse box are up but I dont know if there is anything there for garage cant read the tiny writing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Do you know where the cable exits the house for the garage? Check around to see if they put a fused spur off one of the socket circuits. This fuse luke be gone.

How thick is the cable feeding the garage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Hi Dilbert

Checked cant see where its leaving the house for garage they have it buried under from house and comes up in garage. It pipe that leads into socket box is 15mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

One of the MCBs may have tripped out but the indicater has stayed up,
    flick them all down and up again.

they the switchs in house fuse board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

sounds like a popped circuit breaker - check your fuse box

• Advertisement

will it stick out like a sore thumb cause everything looking uniform and i already switch the main switch not individuals tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Have a look at the circuit breakers - one might have a separate black button next to it or near it for residual earth, which may have tripped. Move it to both positions in turn (if it's there) and see what happens then.
    There might be a fuse board in the garage for your sockets and lights, so it might be worth looking there as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

aujopimur wrote: »
    One of the MCBs may have tripped out but the indicater has stayed up,
    flick them all down and up again.

try this again
    pull them all down(to reset)
    then push back up fully

any pic of fuseboard

is there a sub board in the garage

Good news :D There is a black switch with a small circular button on it. I pressed that it flicked switch down and also turned off pc :eek:. I done them all and the light worked in garage and food is freezing again :D Thanks for the help guys I would have never gone near fuse board if it all looked good :)

Advertisement