Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Infastructure

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not good when they are using the old GAA logo that stopped being used about 12 years ago.

Architects might not be as invested in the GAA as they should? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nice to see the GAA counties investing in both design AND functionality as opposed to an idea of the just identikit sheds and space eyesores that popped up over the last 30 odd years.... great looking stadium. The walkthrough vid is more impressive than the photos.

https://fb.watch/4ZseTWLWrj/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Never liked Tullamore, just isn't a great atmosphere and the open end of the ground lets it down

For location in a town you cannot beat Cusack Park in Mullingar. Few drinks and stroll into the game.

Should Parnell be on it considering Dublin don't use it?
    I have seen Dublin playing in Parnell several times, the hurlers not the football/basketball team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Strumms wrote: »
    Nice to see the GAA counties investing in both design AND functionality as opposed to an idea of the just identikit sheds and space eyesores that popped up over the last 30 odd years.... great looking stadium. The walkthrough vid is more impressive than the photos.

https://fb.watch/4ZseTWLWrj/

Looks impressive and would be great addition to the stadium but I think a new main stand should be the priority at STP, the existing stand is decrepit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What is the new PUC like anyway I was never in it. It looks very impressive structure wise. But what is the atmosphere like in it? Does it take time for an atmosphere to 'bed in' ?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Looks impressive and would be great addition to the stadium but I think a new main stand should be the priority at STP, the existing stand is decrepit.

Due an upgrade too I believe.

Edgware wrote: »
    I have seen Dublin playing in Parnell several times, the hurlers not the football/basketball team

Oh that's a low blow :D
    Parnell is still my fav stadium by far. Croke Park is great structurally but not so hot when not full. Bit souless.

Nowlan park is probably my choice after that it is the right size, looks decent.
    Ballybofey/Killarney has great scenery

As an other poster alluded to I think a lot of GAA grounds go for a 'generic' look.
    It would be nice if county boards think up a little twist here or there to make it unique to that county. Plenty of creative people out there.

I was thinking would it kill GAA stadiums to put in reasonably comfortable seats? Instead of those auld bench yokes? That would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was thinking would it kill GAA stadiums to put in reasonably comfortable seats? Instead of those auld bench yokes? That would be a start.

A lot of the old stands can't fit the new seats. PuC tried a few years before the refurb and they had to cut the backs off em in the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Castlebar is a work in progress. But those stone benches they have on one side would burn the ass off ya in summer. And do the opposite in winter.

Work in progress? Apart from extending the pitch which they are doing this year i cant see anymore development taking place with the debt hanging over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Never liked Tullamore, just isn't a great atmosphere and the open end of the ground lets it down

For location in a town you cannot beat Cusack Park in Mullingar. Few drinks and stroll into the game.

Same in Ennis, can be having a pint in Ciarans Bar, ten minutes before the start and still be in for the throw in. Was at Mayo V Clare qualifier few years ago, was a brilliant day and night out, town was hopping. Having a stadium in town makes a huge difference imo. Ground itself was fine, comfortable enough, easy access etc

Work in progress? Apart from extending the pitch which they are doing this year i cant see anymore development taking place with the debt hanging over it

Didn't they put one new stand in so far?
    How many years ago was that?

Apparently Louth GAA still pushing ahead with the new stadium, tender should have began and construction work to start this summer;

Louth step up drive to build new €12m stadium

[url=hhttp://apps.louthcoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/listfiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19730]Planning docs are here[/url]

There seems to be a lot of space at the front which could have been a great opportunity. Instead they show 64 "Additional less abled carparking", that is in addition to the 79 in the car park area for less abled. I'm sure they'll let anybody park at the the front and are just using the less abled as an excuse to get in more parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Apparently Louth GAA still pushing ahead with the new stadium, tender should have began and construction work to start this summer;

[url=hhttp://apps.louthcoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/listfiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19730]Planning docs are here[/url]

There seems to be a lot of space at the front which could have been a great opportunity. Instead they show 64 "Additional less abled carparking", that is in addition to the 79 in the car park area for less abled. I'm sure they'll let anybody park at the the front and are just using the less abled as an excuse to get in more parking.

Is there something in the constitution of the State that doesn't allow sufficient overhangs on stadia?

Is there something in the constitution of the State that doesn't allow sufficient overhangs on stadia?

The roofs on both stands extend right the way to the front of the stands, you can see it in the Landscape Plans Drawings-General 3D views doc.

• Advertisement

[URL="hhttp://apps.louthcoco.ie/idocswebDPSS/listfiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=19730"]Planning docs are here[/URL]

Looks like a really nice ground and good to see the have not gone for something stupidly oversized

Fair play to them I was at a Louth v Wicklow championship match in Parnell before (for the craic) and the passion from the fans was intense.

I hope the Wee County get the stadium built.

The phrase 'less abled' makes me laugh though. Are they going to start using that phrase instead of 'so called weaker counties' ? Less of a mouthful!

Fair play to them I was at a Louth v Wicklow championship match in Parnell before (for the craic) and the passion from the fans was intense.

I hope the Wee County get the stadium built.

The phrase 'less abled' makes me laugh though. Are they going to start using that phrase instead of 'so called weaker counties' ? Less of a mouthful!

Less abled is probably a nice cop out word. It will be parking for people who "need it" but it will fall short of being actual blue pass disabled parking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The roofs on both stands extend right the way to the front of the stands, you can see it in the Landscape Plans Drawings-General 3D views doc.

And?

I said "overhangs". The top of the roof lines up very nicely with the feet of the punters in the first row. Rain doesn't come from one direction only.

It's maddening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

And?

I said "overhangs". The top of the roof lines up very nicely with the feet of the punters in the first row. Rain doesn't come from one direction only.

It's maddening.

In particular for the smaller county/provincial grounds, the nature of football and hurling means any significant overhang isn't practical. We play a game where the ball is regularly kicked/pucked to a height that is higher than the stand roof at most county grounds, and the front row of seating in most grounds is within 3-4 metres of the sideline.

Any meaningful overhang from a stand roof would very quickly encroach to overhang the playing surface and potentially interfere with play.

Certainly a different story for bigger grounds - but for most county grounds it is actually a factor that has to be considered in stand design

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    In particular for the smaller county/provincial grounds, the nature of football and hurling means any significant overhang isn't practical. We play a game where the ball is regularly kicked/pucked to a height that is higher than the stand roof at most county grounds, and the front row of seating in most grounds is within 3-4 metres of the sideline.

Any meaningful overhang from a stand roof would very quickly encroach to overhang the playing surface and potentially interfere with play.

Certainly a different story for bigger grounds - but for most county grounds it is actually a factor that has to be considered in stand design

And in Limerick the rain comes in so sideways it's actually falling up so you would need to turn the stands into enclosed boxes to have any hope of staying dry

I'm not sure I have ever seen a stand roof extending beyond the front row of seats, anyone have an example? I certainly haven't seen one with a noticeable extension beyond the front row. There are some where the roof doesn't extend far enough.

Obviously the prevailing wind will have a big influence on whether people under the roof get wet. If a strong wind is blowing into the stand, the roof would have to extend significantly beyond the seats to keep all dry. For the few times you have such a situation combined with a capacity crowd meaning seats in the front few rows have to be used, it isn't worth building the roof out further. The further it goes, the bigger a structural challenge it is and the more expensive it becomes. Once the roof covers all seats, and there are no columns obstructing views, I think they will have done what can be reasonably expected of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

another issue I believe with Salthill is the lack of a GAA tradition in Galway City, Tuam Stadium is seen as the home of football and the ground in Athenry for hurling within the county, if I'm wrong Galway supporters feel free to correct me.

Pearse Stadium has that rare distinction of pissing off the football crowd, the hurling crowd and the locals. Its inconvenient for everyone. The main stand is decent but the terracing is in back nick around the ground plus the pitch is generally ****e as other lads have said.

Not that it'd ever happen (pitch size among other things would restrict you :D), but it'd be a dream to have a 25-30k modern stadium where the Sportsgrounds is for both Galway & Connacht. The modus operandi of the GAA in the early 2000s seemed to be throw up terraces and stands with big sticker capacities and **** all facilities or thought towards transport in/out. Hence MacHale, Pearse, Gaelic Park etc.

cson wrote: »
    Not that it'd ever happen (pitch size among other things would restrict you :D), but it'd be a dream to have a 25-30k modern stadium where the Sportsgrounds is for both Galway & Connacht. The modus operandi of the GAA in the early 2000s seemed to be throw up terraces and stands with big sticker capacities and **** all facilities or thought towards transport in/out. Hence MacHale, Pearse, Gaelic Park etc.

Shared stadiums regularly get talked waffled on about on this thread but Galway is the one place where it could actually work. The capacity requirements are similar and fans being further away shouldn't be a big issue for Connacht Rugby as that already exists with the presence of the dog track. The dog track could be provided instead at the horse track, like in Dundalk.

Shared stadiums regularly get talked waffled on about on this thread but Galway is the one place where it could actually work. The capacity requirements are similar and fans being further away shouldn't be a big issue for Connacht Rugby as that already exists with the presence of the dog track. The dog track could be provided instead at the horse track, like in Dundalk.

Are Connacht really at the 25/30k capacity level. That would make it the biggest rugby club ground in Ireland

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Are Connacht really at the 25/30k capacity level. That would make it the biggest rugby club ground in Ireland

It could have a lower fixed capacity with possibly to temporary add more. Fixed stands either side and some kind of adaptable modular stands behind the goals, or something like that. For a big GAA game, put temporary stands behind the goals the full width of the GAA pitch giving a big boost when you need it. Galway GAA don't need a permanent 25/30k stadium either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I Taught I read some where that the reason for the space at the front is for future expansion if ever needed.

Cusack Park in Mullingar also in line for upgrade. Serious safety issues with the dunnes wall

https://www.westmeathindependent.ie/2021/04/15/plans-for-improvements-at-teg-cusack-park-outlined/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

It could have a lower fixed capacity with possibly to temporary add more. Fixed stands either side and some kind of adaptable modular stands behind the goals, or something like that. For a big GAA game, put temporary stands behind the goals the full width of the GAA pitch giving a big boost when you need it. Galway GAA don't need a permanent 25/30k stadium either.

No county bar Dublin need a 25k stadium.
    Pearse should be sold to developers. The city doesn't suit a GAA stadium and it doesn't pick up qualifier games as a result either. Connuaght won't leave the city and I can see why as they need the hotel capacity/city experience for foreign fans for the european comps.

The GAA should build a purpose built 15k stadium with Croker quality pitch in Athenry. Apex of two motorways, a nice walkable town with plenty of pubs and two hotels within a short distance. Its the ideal location for a GAA stadium and with the right design it would be the best stadium in the country for atmosphere and fan experience, even club games would be rocking.

threeball wrote: »
    No county bar Dublin need a 25k stadium.
    Pearse should be sold to developers. The city doesn't suit a GAA stadium and it doesn't pick up qualifier games as a result either. Connuaght won't leave the city and I can see why as they need the hotel capacity/city experience for foreign fans for the european comps.

The GAA should build a purpose built 15k stadium with Croker quality pitch in Athenry. Apex of two motorways, a nice walkable town with plenty of pubs and two hotels within a short distance. Its the ideal location for a GAA stadium and with the right design it would be the best stadium in the country for atmosphere and fan experience, even club games would be rocking.

I think you will find Munster need at least 1 50k capacity stadium and despite it not being full often I would not take less tan 35k for Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I have the opposite experience of Tullamore. Always felt there was a brilliant atmosphere there for games. Have only been to Cusack Park once but I agree with you on that one - good ground.

The strangest ground I have been in is Brewster Park. I am not sure if this is done regularly there but the stewards made everybody go into the stand side of the ground. We were quite tightly squeezed in. I think its probably the only ground I have seen doing that as most would just leave the terrace open for anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

I have the opposite experience of Tullamore. Always felt there was a brilliant atmosphere there for games. Have only been to Cusack Park once but I agree with you on that one - good ground.

The strangest ground I have been in is Brewster Park. I am not sure if this is done regularly there but the stewards made everybody go into the stand side of the ground. We were quite tightly squeezed in. I think its probably the only ground I have seen doing that as most would just leave the terrace open for anybody.

In Wexford Park the stewards have often closed the terraces behind the goals but there's always two stands open so it's not really a problem. In some cases I think it's an issue with regards the number of stewards needed if there's people in every stand, it's easier to steward if the fans are closer together and not spread out all over the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

kksaints wrote: »
    In Wexford Park the stewards have often closed the terraces behind the goals but there's always two stands open so it's not really a problem. In some cases I think it's an issue with regards the number of stewards needed if there's people in every stand, it's easier to steward if the fans are closer together and not spread out all over the ground.

Yeah, I thought it created a better atmosphere overall to be honest. Was just the first time I ever seen it done. Have never made the trip to Wexford Park - one of only a handful of county grounds I am missing!

I think you will find Munster need at least 1 50k capacity stadium and despite it not being full often I would not take less tan 35k for Limerick

Every province needs one high quality high capacity stadium but not every county. 10 to 15k is more than enough for all bar Dublin.

Every province needs one high quality high capacity stadium but not every county. 10 to 15k is more than enough for all bar Dublin.

Not a hope of only having 10 to 15k stadiums for the Munster championship it would be a joke. Having one central stadium in Munster would mean away days for 5 counties for every game which would be terrible for fans just like it is now in Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No it isnt. The crowds going to Munster hurling games show a higher capacity than that is needed though some of the Munster stadiums would be better off with a slight reduction in capacity if it meant a better quality stadium was in place.

No it isnt. The crowds going to Munster hurling games show a higher capacity than that is needed though some of the Munster stadiums would be better off with a slight reduction in capacity if it meant a better quality stadium was in place.

My point was that all championship games should be centralised to the high capacity high spec stadium whilst the smaller county grounds were used for league etc.

My point was that all championship games should be centralised to the high capacity high spec stadium whilst the smaller county grounds were used for league etc.

Where would your centralised stadium be in Munster ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The Round Robin showed that you could have 35,000 in Cork of a Saturday night followed by 35,000 in Tipp the following day. The appetite was huge for travelling .
    I'd a fantastic weekend in Waterford at a round Robin game ...and Waterford is 2.5 hours away. All those train journeys to Thurles,Cork,Limerick ,Waterford and Ennis..all to he sacrificed? Don't be silly. Maybe a central catch all stadium would work im every other province especially Connacht with its smaller geographical footprint but it would be a disaster in Munster.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

The Round Robin showed that you could have 35,000 in Cork of a Saturday night followed by 35,000 in Tipp the following day. The appetite was huge for travelling .
    I'd a fantastic weekend in Waterford at a round Robin game ...and Waterford is 2.5 hours away. All those train journeys to Thurles,Cork,Limerick ,Waterford and Ennis..all to he sacrificed? Don't be silly. Maybe a central catch all stadium would work im every other province especially Connacht with its smaller geographical footprint but it would be a disaster in Munster.

Having been to both PnG and Thomond Park plenty of times I wouldnt swap all the giant mess that is PnG for little Thomond Park and all its mod cons.

• Advertisement

Where would you build one anywhere? It makes no sense to have centralised stadiums when most counties already have a stadium which can host all bar the odd exceptional championship game. Improving facilities at these grounds would be a better use of funds. The vast majority of Championship games don't need a high capacity, high spec stadium. You'd lose supporters who attend a game locally but can't/don't want to travel.

Where would you build one anywhere? It makes no sense to have centralised stadiums when most counties already have a stadium which can host all bar the odd exceptional championship game. Improving facilities at these grounds would be a better use of funds. The vast majority of Championship games don't need a high capacity, high spec stadium. You'd lose supporters who attend a game locally but can't/don't want to travel.

I agree. It was Threeball not me that said every county should only have 10/15k wth 1 larger per provence which is fine for some areas but a bad idea for Munster

I agree. It was Threeball not me that said every county should only have 10/15k wth 1 larger per provence which is fine for some areas but a bad idea for Munster

Yes I know. That idea gets trotted out here every few months but when you scratch below the surface, you see it doesn't stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭major interest

What is the new PUC like anyway I was never in it. It looks very impressive structure wise. But what is the atmosphere like in it? Does it take time for an atmosphere to 'bed in' ?

It has been good for the Munster round robin games I have been to, the Limerick game on the sat night in 2018 bringing the best atmosphere and about 35k attendance. Sight lines all pretty good from the stands, including high up on the second tier of south stand.

It has been good for the Munster round robin games I have been to, the Limerick game on the sat night in 2018 bringing the best atmosphere and about 35k attendance. Sight lines all pretty good from the stands, including high up on the second tier of south stand.

Can't wait to finally go there and see the new stadium. The old place was one of the biggest kips I have been to for a GAA match and a county like Cork bit it's big fan base and teams at the sharp end of all competitions deserved better

Having been to both PnG and Thomond Park plenty of times I wouldnt swap all the giant mess that is PnG for little Thomond Park and all its mod cons.

I like them both..better view in Thomond overall and its a good evening out but the Gaelic Grounds is unique. I was there for many munster finals. Its got some history..probably the third most important stadium for the hurling games played in it, going back to the Cork v Tipp clashes of the 60s and beyond. It wasnt quiet full for the All Ireland semi of Mayo v Kerry but the atmosphere was electric.....18th best ground according to some absolute eejit writing in a national paper this week..lol

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

I like them both..better view in Thomond overall and its a good evening out but the Gaelic Grounds is unique. I was there for many munster finals. Its got some history..probably the third most important stadium for the hurling games played in it, going back to the Cork v Tipp clashes of the 60s and beyond. It wasnt quiet full for the All Ireland semi of Mayo v Kerry but the atmosphere was electric.....18th best ground according to some absolute eejit writing in a national paper this week..lol

18th best if you are there on a quiet day when only the Mackey and its crap views is open. The uncovered stand and the city terrace are great come championship

Its everything thats wrong with most GAA stadiums. Too big, obstructed views, no shelter from the elements, pitch that doesn't hold up in wet weather, no proper food or toilet facilities. Its just a big lump thats good once every 5yrs when it gets a big championship game on a fine day. Any stadium is good on those days.

Its everything thats wrong with most GAA stadiums. Too big, obstructed views, no shelter from the elements, pitch that doesn't hold up in wet weather, no proper food or toilet facilities. Its just a big lump thats good once every 5yrs when it gets a big championship game on a fine day. Any stadium is good on those days.

I don't remember the pitch being a problem in PnaG no more so than anywhere else anyway. Toilets are one thing it has no problem with there are plenty in comparison to most stadiums I have been in.

The laziness not to build real shops in the new stand and the stupid planning requirement to put the floodlights inside the stands really take from the place though

It wouldn't have been able to host an All Ireland semi if it was smaller. It wouldnt be able to host Munster finals if it was under 45,000 or so . And thats essential for Limerick. The facilities could be improved but the ablutions are good all over the grounds. The food outlets are poor overall.
    Your basic premise that Munster should have one large stadium in Thurles was never a runner. Unacceptable on many levels. Tipperary getting to play all finals in their home stadium that they train on every week. Thurles doesn't have the hotel capacity ,that's why it lost out on the All Ireland semi. The way it is now is perfect.. Munster finals rotating regularly between the GG, Athletic Grounds and Thurles.
    In my opinion you don't need both stands covered either. Hurling is a summer game and 1 large covered stand is sufficient for winter.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

It wouldn't have been able to host an All Ireland semi if it was smaller. It wouldnt be able to host Munster finals if it was under 45,000 or so . And thats essential for Limerick. The facilities could be improved but the ablutions are good all over the grounds. The food outlets are poor overall.
    Your basic premise that Munster should have one large stadium in Thurles was never a runner. Unacceptable on many levels. Tipperary getting to play all finals in their home stadium that they train on every week. Thurles doesn't have the hotel capacity ,that's why it lost out on the All Ireland semi. The way it is now is perfect.. Munster finals rotating regularly between the GG, Athletic Grounds and Thurles.
    In my opinion you don't need both stands covered either. Hurling is a summer game and 1 large covered stand is sufficient for winter.

Hopefully the plans go ahead to roof the uncovered stand so that can be turned into the main stand for league and club games where a roof and hot food/coffee are a bit more important in the crap weather. The Mackey stand is crap and ide happily see it knocked for a new steeper stand even if that meant a smaller one.

And Thurles might have history but I don't really like the town and I much rather head down to a bigger city like Cork for a big occasion like a Munster final

• Advertisement
Advertisement