Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stay invested in Allied Irish Banks

Options
  • 20-11-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello

In 2009 I invested £2670 worth of shares in Allied Irish Bank in my pension fund when each share was worth £1.36. Each share is now worth about 6.5p and my AIB fund value is presently worth £126 or thereabout.

I am considering whether to sell or not. On the one hand you have a bankrupt company being propped up by a bankrupt government, on the other hand, it is a bank, and will always be in existence in one form or another as it will not be allowed to go under.

As this fund is part of my pension I consider this to be a long term investment (20-22 years). So is the bank going to drift on as it is or will it start to become a profitable business once again and provide a good return to the shareholders? Should I stay the course or sell.

All opinions appreciated.

Wesley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Banks do disappear - do you really see any of the Anglo investors getting their money back?

The most you can lose is €126.

Note that for tax purposes you can offset the gains on one share with the loses on another.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement