Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im Going Dosing!!

• 20-11-2011 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

right.

I asked this before , and i just took a look back on the page and it turned in to a health and safety thread on headlocking bullocks.

I am not going dosing in mouth. no headlocking. .. ok. i have only 3 bullocks 450kg, a 40 hr week job. . it wasnt very hard to calculate whether i should headlock them or not . .:D

ok, I am going to use Closamectin pour-on.

I hear also i should get an injection for worms. can i buy this stuff and inject myself? (just read that . .sounds funny). . if so whats the name of the product?

Reason why im posting this. . its like asking about red sauce and brand for the dinner. . . all i hear is hynes go with hynes.. then no no no u stupid idiot. . its Chef. . Chef all the way. . .. then another post.. dont be wasting money .. tesco white label all the way. . they are all crap anyway. . .

so i told u my plan. . now give me some slack and come up with a better product. . !:p.. .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think you've summed up the situation nicely there with the sauce anaology!! :D:D No matter what advice lads or lassies give ya on here, you've still got to go try the sauce for yourself!

You've closamectin in your head, so go with that. As with all medicines, ensure not to overdose! How do you know their weight? Are they just recently bought?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

r

ok, I am going to use Closamectin pour-on.

I hear also i should get an injection for worms.

You are covering all you need to cover worm-wise. The only real query is if you are covering fluke sufficiently.

FROM THE DATASHEET:

For the treatment of mixed trematode (fluke) and nematode or arthropod infestations due to roundworms, lungworms, eyeworms,
    warbles, mites and lice of cattle.

Gastrointestinal roundworms (adults and fourth stage larvae)

Ostertagia ostertagi (including inhibited O. ostertagi), Haemonchus placei, Trichostrongylus axei, Trichostrongylus
    colubriformis, Cooperia spp, Oesophagostomum radiatum, Nematodirus helvetianus (adult), Strongyloides papillosus (adult).
    Lungworms (adult and fourth stage larvae)
    Dictyocaulus viviparus

Trematodes (adult and late immatures)

Fasciola gigantica
    Fasciola hepatica
    Treatment of fluke at 12 weeks (mature) >95% efficacy.
    Treatment of fluke at 7 weeks (late immature) >95% efficacy.

Eyeworms (adult)
    Thelazia spp

Cattle grubs (parasitic stages)
    Hypoderma bovis, Hypoderma lineatum

Lice
    Linognathus vituli, Haematopinus eurysternus, Damalinia bovis

Mange Mites
    Chorioptes bovis, Sarcoptes scabiei var bovis

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

Muckit wrote: »
    I think you've summed up the situation nicely there with the sauce anaology!! :D:D No matter what advice lads or lassies give ya on here, you've still got to go try the sauce for yourself!

You've closamectin in your head, so go with that. As with all medicines, ensure not to overdose! How do you know their weight? Are they just recently bought?

ya, bought in Sept at 410 a peice.. . so roughly guessing now. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

How much is closamectin ? :) it would sure be handy for 'dosing' cows when they go in, just the one treatment would do them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

polod wrote: »
    How much is closamectin ? :) it would sure be handy for 'dosing' cows when they go in, just the one treatment would do them :)
    It's handy but I think you'd need to shave their backbone first to make sure it gets to the skin..
    We went away from using it as we weren't happy with the results.. I thought allot stayed in the hair..
    Cconsidering the low volume applied any amount not getting to the skin would have a big effect on the outcome..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

bbam wrote: »
    It's handy but I think you'd need to shave their backbone first to make sure it gets to the skin..
    We went away from using it as we weren't happy with the results.. I thought allot stayed in the hair..
    Cconsidering the low volume applied any amount not getting to the skin would have a big effect on the outcome..

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. . never thought of this, hair. or a good curly hair bullock?

I was planning on keep them in for a day or two or watch the weather. ..
    just so it doesnt wash off..

never heard of the shaving back bone before.. .. im sure most people just pour it on. . pour-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

We never shave the back and have no problem..consider dosing for liver fluke too...Trodax injection, messy stuff but important to dose for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

bbam wrote: »

hard to know so, it nearly seems to good to be true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

oldsmokey wrote: »
    We never shave the back and have no problem..consider dosing for liver fluke too...Trodax injection, messy stuff but important to dose for..
    I thought closamectin is supposed to cover everything, fluke,worms, lice etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

k mac wrote: »
    I thought closamectin is supposed to cover everything, fluke,worms, lice etc.

Ive done all mine with Closamaectin Injection E95 500ml but im not sure as to its effectiveness to Lice, an awful lot of licking going on in younger heifers.. going to get some cheap Youngs Pour on for them, not very happy as thought this should cover everything, wont be using closamectin again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Bodacious wrote: »
    Ive done all mine with Closamaectin Injection E95 500ml but im not sure as to its effectiveness to Lice, an awful lot of licking going on in younger heifers.. going to get some cheap Youngs Pour on for them, not very happy as thought this should cover everything, wont be using closamectin again

Any injectable ivermectin, including Closamectin, will only kill Sucking Lice as the Biting Lice may not get enough drug via the little bit of blood they take.
    Also clipping along the back can help with scratching due to 'sweating' etc.

Pour on ivermectins usually kill both types but I have no references for this!!

LM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »

Any injectable ivermectin, including Closamectin, will only kill Sucking Lice as the Biting Lice may not get enough drug via the little bit of blood they take.
    Also clipping along the back can help with scratching due to 'sweating' etc.

Pour on ivermectins usually kill both types but I have no references for this!!

LM

thanks and that does make sense alright and now that I remember it I used a pour on with ivomec classic injection before as they were licking like crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Anyone drenching with those new dosing hooks? Are they any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Muckit wrote: »
    Anyone drenching with those new dosing hooks? Are they any good?

What ya mean? Any picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

have one for years and takes time to get used to it i see new ones out and i dont like the look of them as they have the hook and handle as one piece my one has the hook then a lenth of tube then the handle so if a cow moves up the crush with the hook in her mouth you can still dose her by leaveing go the hook, does that make sence:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mallethead

Yep i have one very handy for dosing cows and especially the bull
    they cost about 70 euro
    Just take a bit of getting used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Hook drenchers are the job. I have put through 50L of drench in the last few months and its a pleasure, even handier than injecting. I have done mad heifers, stubborn bulls you name it. Jesus the hard work it used to be before catching animals. I was looking for one for a few years before getting one. something I should have imported years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/beefcattle/1700815

Is this the one in photo 3?

Haven’t drenched a beast in a while, think i was traumatised as a child trying to put the old straight plastic gun into toothy bullocks while dad nosed them :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

that one in the fourth picture is like a jet pack. looks a serious weapon, thankfully I keep my left hand well exercised to pull the trigger on the dosing gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the gun i have holds 150ml... would much prefer this over the 60ml as cows need 120 ml of some doses, cost me €65 its orangey in colour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

looking at an offer in the journal . if you buy 7.5 litre pack of albex it comes with a free dosing hook any one try this brand of hook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 johnny1

Hook gun is best bit of equipment i ever bought. Mine is a 60ml but very easy giving a second dose as you dont even have to take the hook out of the mouth. You have great control over the animal. I bought mine for €60 here http://www.agridirect.ie/index.php/dosing-drencher-c-w-hooked-nozzle.html the one shown on donedeal is a philips which is probably stronger but also probably 3 times the price. I wouldnt even attempt to go dosing with it again.

Advertisement