Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry interent

Options
  • 20-11-2011 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

hi, i know this has probably been asked before, but my sister is thinking of getting a 9300 for christmas on meteor on prepay. You can get data for €30 per month but there is also a blackberry add-on. is this blackberry add-on really needed for the likes of bbm and internet browser?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

hi, i know this has probably been asked before, but my sister is thinking of getting a 9300 for christmas on meteor on prepay. You can get data for €30 per month but there is also a blackberry add-on. is this blackberry add-on really needed for the likes of bbm and internet browser?

cheers

Yes the blackberry add-on is essential if you want BBM, email and possibly wifi (all require service books sent once you've activated BIS, BlackBerry internet services). But you might get the web browsing on meteor working with out the BIS add-on. Although in my mind owning a BlackBerry without the BIS add-on significantly handicaps the BlackBerry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Yes the blackberry add-on is essential if you want BBM, email and possibly wifi (all require service books sent once you've activated BIS, BlackBerry internet services). But you might get the web browsing on meteor working with out the BIS add-on. Although in my mind owning a BlackBerry without the BIS add-on significantly handicaps the BlackBerry.

Do you need to have an Internet add-on or package, as well as the BIS, or will the BIS on its own provide email, browsing etc.

It depends on the network. So most networks supply data when you subscribe to BIS on bill or prepay but I know O2 don't charge for BIS subscription but they do require you to have their 700MB data add-on on pre pay (9.99 euro).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It depends on the network. So most networks supply data when you subscribe to BIS on bill or prepay but I know O2 don't charge for BIS subscription but they do require you to have their 700MB data add-on on pre pay (9.99 euro).

Unusual for O2 to gouge customers:rolleyes:
    eMobile are offering 3GB Blackberry service, so you can get the 9900 for €169 and €27pm all in which seems pretty good. Thats 12 months €19pm plus the BB add-on of €8pm.

to be fair they're not price gouging. It's just how they handle it. On prepay:
    Meteor charge 9.99 for BIS and it comes with 1GB
    O2 dont charge for BIS provisioning but you have to have the 9.99 700mb data add-on
    Emobile charges 9.99 for BIS and it comes with 1GB
    Vodafone charges 50cent per day for BIS and unlimited data over the blackberry.net APN

I'm with three on sim only bill pay and pay 30 euro per month for classic flex max with the AYCE data and BIS is free with them. No extra charge.

• Advertisement

to be fair they're not price gouging. It's just how they handle it. On prepay:
    Meteor charge 9.99 for BIS and it comes with 1GB
    O2 dont charge for BIS provisioning but you have to have the 9.99 700mb data add-on
    Emobile charges 9.99 for BIS and it comes with 1GB
    Vodafone charges 50cent per day for BIS and unlimited data over the blackberry.net APN

I'm with three on sim only bill pay and pay 30 euro per month for classic flex max with the AYCE data and BIS is free with them. No extra charge.

According to the eMobile site its €8 for 3GB.

The emobile price your quoting is for the Bil pay add-on whereas I was quoting the pre pay emobile BIS price.

The emobile price your quoting is for the Bil pay add-on whereas I was quoting the pre pay emobile BIS price.

Okay, thanks. Very good price for billpay for a BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭hughes2558

If I get a blackberry on 02 bill pay and unlock it for use with meteor pay as you go will I have to pay for the bis every month??

hughes2558 wrote: »
    If I get a blackberry on 02 bill pay and unlock it for use with meteor pay as you go will I have to pay for the bis every month??

Yes, AFAIK, if you want to use the BB browser and mail.

• Advertisement

wihterebel is correct. Without BIS add-on the phone will really only function for calls and sms. MMS, email and browsing wont work as they need service books, as does wifi. If you want these service books you could get them by subscribing for one month to pre pay BIS then unsubscribe. You'll hold on to the service books for wifi and mms but email wont work. If you download the opera browser that should work without BIS for browsing the web but it'll cost you money if you've no data add-on

Advertisement