Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coving

• 20-11-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I put up some coving in my first house 17 years ago when I was younger and fitter:o. I'd like to put some up in my current house but I don't think I can stand for ages holding a piece of coving over my head waiting for it to stick to the ceiling. Is there any new product that will give almost instant adhesion, a bit like that "no more nails" stuff? When I did it many moons ago, I did a pretty decent job of it but I've forgotten the tips and tricks to doing this so I'd appreciate a few reminders;).

Btw the room is a simple rectangle with just 4 internal corners so no external corners to do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

When i did mine i hammered 4 skinny nails into the ceiling and wall. panel pin type nails. Then i actually siliconed the coving. I though it would not like it so this is why i used silicone.

Anyway when i stuck down the coving i just bent the nails over it to hold it on while it stuck.

I hindsight i would not use silicone as if it gets on the edges as it did its a feck to get paint to stick to.

But you catch my drift as to what i done to hold it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

screw a 2 x 1 onto the wall and then start screws on your coving and lift it up screw into place and fill the screw holes wit caulk after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I put up some coving in my first house 17 years ago when I was younger and fitter:o. I'd like to put some up in my current house but I don't think I can stand for ages holding a piece of coving over my head waiting for it to stick to the ceiling. Is there any new product that will give almost instant adhesion, a bit like that "no more nails" stuff? When I did it many moons ago, I did a pretty decent job of it but I've forgotten the tips and tricks to doing this so I'd appreciate a few reminders;).

Btw the room is a simple rectangle with just 4 internal corners so no external corners to do.

Did you price how much it is to get professionally done these days? It mightn't to to bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I used Gyproc jointing compound in the yellow bag. You have to mix it yourself, but it goes off very quickly and all you will need is a few panel pins here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Some of the coving places have coving adhesive. That is what we used. I think it is pretty similar to jointing compound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks for the replies lads.

Advertisement