Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Vandalised

Options
  • 20-11-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi
    I am looking for a bit of advice, My borther in law's car was keyed when he and my sister were visiting me. I incident happened in the car park of the appartment complex. His insurance wont cover the cost (third paty fire and theft), I am just wondering if the managment comapny would be liable. There is no signs in the car par saying cars parked at your own risk. It has been reported to the gaurds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

elprez wrote: »
    Hi
    I am just wondering if the managment comapny would be liable.

I very very very very much doubt this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Absolutely not. Why should owners of properties in the development pay for cosmetic repairs to the car of a visitor...or an owner come to think of it. Cars are always parked at your own risk regardless of location.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hi op, if your brother in law is gonna have to stump up for this himself, I can recommend a guy who does car repair / paint work, to an excellent standard for a fraction of what other places were quoting me, let me know if you want me to pm you details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 OKeeffer

elprez wrote: »
    His insurance wont cover the cost (third paty fire and theft)

You've answered your own question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you prove that it was vandalized in your car park? Well even if you can, it doesn't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TPFT, is just that. Any damage caused to a third party by you would be covered. If you car was nicked or set alight, it would be covered.

The insurance would regard keying as your 'own' damage, and you'd have to cover the cost. Annoying I know, as it's happened to me.

The only chance you might have, might be if the car park was covered by CCTV, you got hold of the footage and pass it on to the Gards to see if the culprit might be identified.

There's usually a notice in car parks (both public and private) saying you park at your own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Haven't a hope I would say.

Bit selfish if they did also because management companies are funded by service charges so (I assume you pay them) he would just be taking money that should be for your services - services that you are presumably paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have a check if there are any cameras in the carpark; they may have footage of someone doing it, or walking towards the car, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

There was a total of 9 cars in total damaged on the night in question, the person was caught on CCTV and it was reported to the gaurds. Thank you one and all for your feedback on this matter.

Advertisement