Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse and Keyboard Suggestions?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hey guys!

I am in the process in buying a Gaming PC and need to get a decent mouse and keybaord. My budget is 50 euro. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

I just finished my first build, the mouse I went for was the Microsoft sidewinder X3. It was pretty cheap, has dpi switching, and doesn't look ridiculous. The Logitech g400 is probably nicer, and still within your budget.

I bought a Microsoft 600 keyboard - it's cheap, and it feels pretty good to use. It's not a gaming keyboard - if you want one with macros etc it will obviously cost more, but I'm sure one of the knowledgeable members can advise you on a good choice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I have some dell yoke from about 7 years ago as my keyboard, no macros, no lights, no fuss, and it seems to be ridiculously reliable, so no point in replacing it. I'd estimate the cost at about 15€.

I had a madkatz R.a.t. 7 up until about a week ago, when it got irreparably damaged by battlefield rage and a badly placed sharp corner. I liked it, but I'm not sure the price was justifiable. Currently got a CM Storm Sentinel on order, got it for 38€, hopefully it'll perform as well as the old mouse.

short version: get a cheap keyboard, more expensive mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

For gaming I found the simple slim aluminium apple keyboard is really good. I use that and a razer lachesis mouse on my pc. The razer deathadder is supposed to be good value/performance mix. I will order one of them soon in the left hand version.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Have become a fan of Steel Series mice. Work well, pretty well designed and some cheaper ones available if you're on a budget. Their keyboards are pretty decent too but pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd be in agreement with deceit here - mind you, I suppose it depends what games you play - but for me, cheap(er) keyboard, (more) expensive mouse.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    I'd be in agreement with deceit here - mind you, I suppose it depends what games you play - but for me, cheap(er) keyboard, (more) expensive mouse.

Depends if you like mechanical keyboards or not really. Or play a game where macro keys are useful.

Separate keypad thingies like the Belkin Nostromo are great fun for RTS games and MMORPGs.

nesf wrote: »
    Depends if you like mechanical keyboards or not really. Or play a game where macro keys are useful.

Separate keypad thingies like the Belkin Nostromo are great fun for RTS games and MMORPGs.

Oh of course, yeah. My G11 is finally starting to give out (after four years), so my next keyboard will probably be a nice mechanical one. I'm just saying on a budget, if I really had to choose, I personally would prioritize the mouse.

Oh of course, yeah. My G11 is finally starting to give out (after four years), so my next keyboard will probably be a nice mechanical one. I'm just saying on a budget, if I really had to choose, I personally would prioritize the mouse.

Yeah, I'd agree on that, though tbh the likes of SteelSeries do very nice optical mice and the Logitech opticals are more than good enough for most purposes. I used the predecessor to this one for years very happily: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/logitech-g400-black-gaming-mouse-8-button-3600dpi-usb

Oh yeah they do, keyboards too. I've been tempted by the Merc Stealth for a while. It's only downside being that it doesn't have proper ins/home/del/etc. keys (which I use a lot for Freespace 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I have used the old version of the G400 for the last 5 years without incident (MX518).
    Girlfriend has a G15, is nice but big. I've had a Saitek Gamers Keyboard for 5 years too, never use the Command Pad though.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah they do, keyboards too. I've been tempted by the Merc Stealth for a while. It's only downside being that it doesn't have proper ins/home/del/etc. keys (which I use a lot for Freespace 2).

Yeah, I need a gaming keyboard to double as a regular keyboard so yeah need a full set of buttons for accounting stuff and similar.

Have one of these: http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-7g

But it's a bit too big to be comfortable. Am looking at a Razor Lycosa but am unsure. That, and my kids are taking off the keys and hiding them on me. :(

Looking at this one, maybe: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/razer-lycosa-unstoppable-gaming-keyboard-non-slip-rubber-backlit-keys-uk

LOL, crafty kids.

I was actually looking at the Lycossa back for my first build, but... I dunno, it doesn't exactly scream "quality" so much as "G4M3RZ 1337!!11".

I was actually looking at this for a while, but lack of decent dedicated media keys makes me think no.

LOL, crafty kids.

I was actually looking at the Lycossa back for my first build, but... I dunno, it doesn't exactly scream "quality" so much as "G4M3RZ 1337!!11".

I was actually looking at this for a while, but lack of decent dedicated media keys makes me think no.

Hmm, pricey. Yeah the mechanical keyboards tend to lack the extra buttons and be more bare-bones. They tend to last *forever* though.

I've got to mull over this a bit. Reviews are hard to come by and by definition very subjective on this kind of stuff.

nesf wrote: »
    Hmm, pricey. Yeah the mechanical keyboards tend to lack the extra buttons and be more bare-bones. They tend to last *forever* though.

I've got to mull over this a bit. Reviews are hard to come by and by definition very subjective on this kind of stuff.

Agreed.

Pity we don't have any decent computer stores here. This is the sort of thing - along with, oh... speakers, monitors, mice... - that you really want to be able to physically try before you buy.

Agreed.

Pity we don't have any decent computer stores here. This is the sort of thing - along with, oh... speakers, monitors, mice... - that you really want to be able to physically try before you buy.

Eh, I live in Cork, so even if we had them in this country I probably wouldn't have one close to me. All roads (and computer stores) lead to Dublin etc. :p

The SteelSeries 7G is a very good keyboard, it's just big. That may or may not suit you etc. The regular Black Widow is a better first step into mechnicals I think given it's only around 60 Sterling which is more tolerable. I wouldn't pay for the Ultimate Edition though, the features don't warrant it.

For me they do. I'm visually impaired, so the backlights really do help when finding the odd key (F keys mostly) that I can't hit blind.

And yeah, I suppose you're right on that. What I wouldn't give for a Best Buy or NCIX over here...

For me they do. I'm visually impaired, so the backlights really do help when finding the odd key (F keys mostly) that I can't hit blind.

Ahh, that makes sense then. Fortunately only medication related blurred vision here so only have problems with far away screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

I have the Lycosa right now, I just bought it to go well with my Deathadder really, but I'm not impressed by the keys. I often miss out on letters. Maybe I'm just not used to it because I've used laptops for so long.

The Lycosa has flat keys though. Surely being on laptops would help you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

They're slightly curved and bigger, but if you don't press them down in the center they tend to get stuck so it makes it difficult for typing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

If it was me, I'd stay away from Razer keyboards. Their mouse is ok but not the keyboards.

Is the budget EUR50 for both keyboard and mouse or separate? If its separate :-

Keyboards - Sidewinder x4
    Mouse - Mionix Naos 3200

If its EUR50 for both, I would just suggest save the money and get the standard keyboard+mouse combo.

Advertisement