Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"No medical advice" "No legal advice" Other potentially dangerous advice ok

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

There seems to be a bit of an inconsistency. There are some pretty extreme recommendations given out on the nutrition and diet forum. These are presented as proven fact when they're not. People buy into it and make potentially dangerous lifestyle decisions based on it. This can't be a good idea surely. The thread that prompted this is here, where very high cholesterol diets are advocated. Research is presented incorrectly suggesting that it has been proven that this is true.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

Advice should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

From the charter:

Feel free to offer your advice and opinions
    on diet and nutrition in relation to the diets
    of others. Your input is most welcome.
    Please, however, be sensitive toward the
    users you address - don't be a food nazi.
    People vary widely in their approach to diet
    and nutrition and what works for you may
    not work for others. Also, consider the
    advice that you are offered, particularly by
    those who have achieved and are achieving
    their health and weight-related goals. I
    would ask for a combination of realism and
    tolerance.
    Quoted from Dragan (why edit perfection?
    )
    Quote:
    We are all hear to learn and to teach. We
    will be sharing information. It is perfectly
    fine to point out options and choices to
    people, or guide them when they may be
    going wrong but it's important to remember
    that Nutrition is not an exact science and
    differences of opinion will always exist.
    Remember, you are not here to tell anyone
    what to do, merely to offer insight and
    opinion based off your own learnings and
    experience. Seek to help, by all means but
    do so in a respectful manner. Anything else
    will be met with a ban.

Bear in mind we are not professional
    nutritionists and we are not doctors, so
    don't look for medical advice. Please seek
    advice from your Dr. or a Nutritionist before
    embarking on any major overhaul of your
    eating habits. If you have any pre-exisitng
    condition that requires specific nutritional
    needs please note that the N&D forum is
    NOT a substitute for a qualified dietician.
    We cannot advise on the best diet for these
    circumstances and any posts doing so will
    be edited/ deleted as necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Advice should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

From the charter:
    etc
    The disclaimer makes sense, but it is at odds with the sort of content I'm talking about. Potentially dangerous and pretty extreme ideas presented as proven fact when they're not. The thread I linked is a good example.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Good idea for a thread.

If everyone started a thread in the feedback forum every time they couldn't win an argument on boards.ie the admins might let us post lolcats in here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Is feedback the AH of the mod world or something ? Theres no end to you lot thanks whorin in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Good idea for a thread.

If everyone started a thread in the feedback forum every time they couldn't win an argument on boards.ie the admins might let us post lolcats in here again.
    yeah cos that's what it was. wow. Too much aggravation. Screw this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Kadongy wrote: »
    Good idea for a thread.

yeah cos that's what it was. wow. Too much aggravation. Screw this.

You made him close his account. :( that would be the rattle firmly out of the pram so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Perhaps the point made by OP should be addressed.

I, for one, think that the disclaimer in the forum charter is an inappropriate abdication of responsibility. The gap between dietary advice and medical advice is often worryingly small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

MugMugs wrote: »
    You made him close his account. :( that would be the rattle firmly out of the pram so. :D

....I think it took a lump out of the plasterboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Perhaps the point made by OP should be addressed.

I, for one, think that the disclaimer in the forum charter is an inappropriate abdication of responsibility. The gap between dietary advice and medical advice is often worryingly small.

It does state that posts giving dietary or nutritional advice as medical advice will be removed though. So people are free to reccommend anything they have learned from their own experience but not as medical advice to someone with specific nutritional needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

this is a mad thread. I'm going up and down the page and I just cannot see where high cholesterol diets were advocated.

did this set him off?
    Dietary cholesterol reduces the amount of cholesterol you produce in the liver. Eat less cholesterol, and your liver will make more to compensate.

Eggs are exceptionally nutritious and good for you, I love them but I'm intolerant to them.

perhaps he read the first sentence and thought this was a recommendation to eat more cholesterol. Seemed more just a statement of fact.

Thing is; aside from being wrong and probably mostly just posting this thread in anger - he may have had a point.

Is offering nutritional advice but not medical advice sort of contradictory?

In real life someone close to me has type two diabetes from being overweight. His medical advice seems loopy to me. I'd love to suggest a primal diet but a little voice inside me says "what if the high fat content causes a heart attack. or what if they have an unrelated heart attack anyway and someone knows you suggested a high fat diet...." said guy is also high risk for heart attack in other factors such as smoking alcohol and lack of exercise.

so i just say nothing. seems immoral to me but I'm not a qualified dietitian or doctor. its not my place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I, for one, think that the disclaimer in the forum charter is an inappropriate abdication of responsibility.

Abdication of whose responsibility? The mods? The posters? Boards.ie?
    The gap between dietary advice and medical advice is often worryingly small.

If a person is foolish enough to take advice from an untrusted randomer on the internet that may impact their personal well being, that person has bigger problems.

Where is the personal responsibility. It continually saddens me the amount of people who blindly and unquestioningly believe everything they read on the internet.

Until such people cop on and take responsibility for their own actions, I don't see why anything should change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

@dr Bollocko: good idea for a response, next time can you keep it on topic or dont post. If you find somethign you think is against the forum charter, then please, by all means, report it.

@Mungbean: same applies. Not every argument has to be stepped up to. report a post and walk away.

@MugMugs & Nodin: not helpful or on topic and also not feedback. Next tiem you feel the urge to post inanity like that again, dont.

The OP has closed their account but the topic is valid feedback and is open for discussion. Thanks to those posters who have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In reality it all boils down to what will get boards.ie sued, it's not about protecting users from potentially hazardous advice. This isn't wikipedia. It should be accepted that all advice given is a poster's personal opinion and not absolute or proven fact.

Medical and legal advice is always expressly forbidden because that can easily land boards in court - even if the advice is perfectly correct and sound.

Otherwise it's really only outlandishly dangerous stuff that's prohibited, like, "The best diet is 2 litres of hydrogen peroxide before bed".

Comments that, "Eggs may not be high in cholesterol" are not going to land boards.ie in court. If someone believes that a particular piece of advice is incorrect, then they should refute that advice with the relevant links and facts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This can be a hard one to call at times. Boards wide as well as specific forums.

In this case the posts against the OP's side of the debate had scientifically valid studies linked rather than just supposition. The latter tends to be much more common in many online debates. As for the OP's accusation of extreme diets they themselves appear to be vegetarian which may be construed as "extreme"* by some and lacking in nutrients if not careful. Vegan even more so and vegan posts have popped up in there before with no great issue.

Given their on thread and subsequent responses they appear to be quite committed to this particular cause, so the "hobby horse" angle might be a large part of their objection in this case. Would a committed anti bloodsports persons take in the hunting forums be taken as a "fault" in said forum kinda thing?

Stepping back from the hobby horse(and we all have them), where does the line get drawn? Again hard one. We could go back and forth on the moral front with regard to advice, but for me I'd go the legal front as a basic yardstick. Is advice anywhere on the site likely to cause legal difficulties for the site or the volunteers on the site? We can debate the moral angle beyond that line drawn.

*not by me personally, just noting it as an example.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I know the account has since been closed but howandever...
    Kadongy wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of an inconsistency. There are some pretty extreme recommendations given out on the nutrition and diet forum.
    In all honesty I don't think there were any recommendations made - there were examples of people's personal diets which could be construed as extreme, but not one of those people suggested that their method was the way to go.
    Kadongy wrote:
    These are presented as proven fact when they're not.
    Again, you'll find that in reality any 'extreme' diets are not allowed on the forum. I have yet to see anyone recommend the "40 eggs a week" diet. What will be suggested is that (in this case) folk shouldn't be afraid to eat eggs and yes, that has been backed up with plenty of scientific examination.
    People buy into it and make potentially dangerous lifestyle decisions based on it.
    I'm more worried about people buying into the recent revelation that pizza can be legitimately classified as contributing towards one of your five a day. And don't get me started on the whole five a day notion of arbitrary numbers...

Facetiousness aside, I don't see that there is anyone advocating an extreme nutritional lifestyle. I do see very entertaining and often heated discussions about an area of science that is constantly changing and evolving, but all we can go on is the facts before us, and the take-home message has always - and will continue to be - it's a discussion forum, have a read, make up your own mind and find what works for you.

The Nutrition and Diet forum has been a bone of contention since its inception, but tbh the quality of posters that we have there now, while at first glance may appear to be stoically biased towards a certain way of eating, are actually some of the most well-read and informed posters I've seen on boards and they would be the first to engage in a balanced debate about any nutritional topic presented to them. Don't assume that passion for a topic forbids open-mindedness.

If there is a genuine concern that the topics on the N&D forum are straying into dodgy territory then I'm all ears, but to my mind I only see heated debates about scientific findings, not anyone trying to pass off dodgy diet advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

A lot of it can boil back to this, edit to suit your forum.
    Now the biggest caveat to remember here is this is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about. Don't assume the advice given is correct. Maintenance tips offered by forum members, whilst helpful, may not necessarily be correct solution, so if in doubt then contact your nearest dealer or qualified mechanic. If you do something as a result of what you read here, you agree that boards are in no way liable for anything at all - you are responsible for your own actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Originally Posted by Motors DIY Forum Charter
    Now the biggest caveat to remember here is this is a public forum used by people with no idea what they are talking about. Don't assume the advice given is correct. Maintenance tips offered by forum members, whilst helpful, may not necessarily be correct solution, so if in doubt then contact your nearest dealer or qualified mechanic. If you do something as a result of what you read here, you agree that boards are in no way liable for anything at all - you are responsible for your own actions.
    Why can't something like this cover Legal and Medical advice aswell??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I imagine that just relying on the above disclaimer for legal and medical topics would lead to discussions in grey areas, areas that may be litigious or even a risk to health.
    The Boards policy of shutting the barn doors even before any discussion can ventrue into grey areas seems to me to be a sensible precaution.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The legal and medical professions are covered by specific legislation which makes it illegal for someone to practise in either of these areas without being specifically qualified to do so. Even purporting to provide legal or medical advice without being legal to do so (even if the advice is perfectly sound), is illegal in itself.

On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent someone from setting up as a car mechanic, regardless of whether they have any recognised qualifications. In those cases, errors or omissions by the mechanic would be covered by tort or contract law, but it is not specifically illegal for someone to give advice on car mechanics without being qualified to do so.

"I am not a doctor" or "I am not a lawyer" would only be a partial defence. It would probably protect the poster, in the same way that a homeopaths aren't taken to court for pretending to give out curing potions.
    But from boards.ie's point of view, simply having a policy of allowing the advice leaves grey areas open. If the site operates a strict no-advice policy, then it can't be argued that medical or legal advice is allowed on boards.ie in some form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's a fair and logical viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Where is the personal responsibility. It continually saddens me the amount of people who blindly and unquestioningly believe everything they read on the internet.
    I feel this is particularly relevant to the survivalism forum, there are a LOT of natural remedies that have stood the test of time, and some more modern ones with a good bit of support. One example would be taking activated charcoal pills or activated charcoal neat like you'd find in some car air filters to help absorb recently consumed poisons.

This is well known in some circles, and could easily save someone's life if they eat something they shouldn't out in the wild, but as things stand nobody can talk about this stuff, some of it dating back centuries.

It would be great if we could just get a blanket legal disclaimer and make sure that claims are backed up by an outside link or something. I mean the kid gloves come off in survival situations.

seamus wrote: »
    The legal and medical professions are covered by specific legislation which makes it illegal for someone to practise in either of these areas without being specifically qualified to do so. Even purporting to provide legal or medical advice without being legal to do so (even if the advice is perfectly sound), is illegal in itself.

On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent someone from setting up as a car mechanic, regardless of whether they have any recognised qualifications. In those cases, errors or omissions by the mechanic would be covered by tort or contract law, but it is not specifically illegal for someone to give advice on car mechanics without being qualified to do so.

"I am not a doctor" or "I am not a lawyer" would only be a partial defence. It would probably protect the poster, in the same way that a homeopaths aren't taken to court for pretending to give out curing potions.
    But from boards.ie's point of view, simply having a policy of allowing the advice leaves grey areas open. If the site operates a strict no-advice policy, then it can't be argued that medical or legal advice is allowed on boards.ie in some form.

In that case there's a very relevant parallel with the nutrition forum.

Anyone can set up a nutrition clinic and tell you they are a nutritionist without breaking any laws.

The same cannot be said about dietitians. Dietitian is a legally protected term and to claim you are one you need a qualification from a recognised institution.

If you have kidney problems you may be sent to a dietitian because a specific diet is required. If your kid is born with PKU you'll be sent for the same reason.

Therefore people asking questions about something like renal diets should fall under the same category as medical advice. I've read the forum the last few years and there have been times where this kind of thread has not been closed immediately and discussion was allowed.

There are grey areas too. Morbidly obese people can be sent to dietitians. However their threads are tolerated. Personally I think this is okay because morbidly obese people also go to gyms and the likes of motivation clinics.

Could it lead to lawsuit attempts though? I wouldn't bet against it.

Could it lead to lawsuit attempts though? I wouldn't bet against it.
    Ah mihole this isn't America.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Ah mihole this isn't America.

Thinking courts ordering to pay out for ridiculously frivolous claims is exclusive to America would be very much mistaken.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC at one point the Irish were on a par with or even more litigious than Americans. We can be quick enough with the solicitors letters, especially in the media arena. I'd reckon there are enough letters of that nature to the boards office over the course of a year. 99 times out of 100 they're likely chancers with less of a leg to stand on than Heather Mills, but all it takes is one ambulance chaser with an in and a judge who thinks moveable type is new fangled to cause problems, real financial problems for a site like this. Never mind the moral issues that may be involved.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thinking courts ordering to pay out for ridiculously frivolous claims is exclusive to America would be very much mistaken.
    Regulation is there to prevent snake oil salesmen and the like setting up shop, scoring off suckers, and scuttling back into the woodwork, not to stop people honestly sharing information that doesn't need a third level masters degree and seven years of internship to understand. A bit of backup/support would surely cross the t's and dot the i's.

I mean what there's dozens if not hundreds of bushcraft sites all across the US and UK where this stuff isn't verboten, none of them seem to have folded up due to litigious tourists who decided to serve up a caesar salad of bad advice yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Irish laws are different, it's that simple.

Also there are many different contra indications with herbals many of which people forget
    and the strength and preparations cause quite the variation on simples.

Never mind people who will try and find a quick cheap fix for an issue which requires medical oversight instead of going to a dr, ergo smart and informed discussion should be possible but there will be too many dumb people on what is a general site to try and foster the community and best standards needed.

Honestly all it takes is one joke about having a nice cup of rhubarb leaf tea and some one will try it and then boards.ie can be sited in a wrongful death suit.

Sharrow wrote: »
    Irish laws are different, it's that simple.
    Not really, Irish laws are based on English laws and there's no shortage of bushcraft sites there. A far more litigious environment is the US, and the overwhelming majority of these resources are based there.

The record just doesn't indicate it will be a problem.

What actually could cost someone's life is not being informed.

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Not really, Irish laws are based on English laws and there's no shortage of bushcraft sites there. A far more litigious environment is the US, and the overwhelming majority of these resources are based there.
    You are not comparing like with like. UK laws are subtly different with regard to media law. I'm sure if there are solicitors reading this they'll explain this in more detail.You also forget the constitutional US right to free speech angle which contrary to popular belief is not applicable in the same way in this country and certainly not applicable to a private website. There are things one could write on a US based website that would land you in court in Ireland in a heartbeat. The medical advice thing for a start. US websites seem to have no issue with doctors giving online advice. Do that here and the doctor would be investigated if not struck off.

Like I pointed out before the Irish can be just as litigious as Americans, especially where it comes to the media, print, telly and online. Try suing a newspaper in the US and try the same here. You'll get much further here as people have. This site was already the subject of a lawsuit in the past and I'm sure they've had others chancing their arm that luckily never saw the light of day. IMHO the reason the place has avoided being sued into the ground is because of the tight control of certain subject matters. Matters that include medical and legal advice.

What actually could cost someone's life is not being informed.
    Informed by whom? Randomer on the interweb? How do I know your advice is correct? How do you know mine is? See the problem? I could go into any number of online forums and find really bogus even dangerous advice touted by unqualified and anonymous posters. Hell even on a well managed mature site like Boards I see incorrect and horribly uninformed posts on a weekly basis. But and it's a big but, on Boards the subject matter of such posts won't get people injured or killed.

Advertisement