Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrapers

• 20-11-2011 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭

Can anyone here give advice on automatic scrapers ? We want to put them in three channels that are twenty foot long each running onto slats . Im keeping an eye on secondhand ones but they are mostly long single ones or doubles .
    Can the chains be seperated, say from two lenghts of sixty foot into three new twenty foot tracks and then buy just one new scraper head for the last channel ? Will the same motor that powered two sixty foot scrapers be able to work three twenty foot scrapers ?
    Lastly any problems with using secondhand scrapers or particular makes ?
    Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Not many chain scrapers around. The rail scrapers will work extra channels my one is working 2 channels but will work up to 6 channels. Secondhand you would want to inspect them carefully as I've seen ones completely rotten from rust, cowsh1t aint too friendly on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

They dont have to be chain scrapers . Rail type is fine too if they can be shortened or lenghtened thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just my 2 cents. Stay away from second hand chain scrapers, the chains stretch, then come off the pulleys too. Bar and ratchet are more reliable.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

moy83 wrote: »
    They dont have to be chain scrapers . Rail type is fine too if they can be shortened or lenghtened thanks
    Yes they can be shortened. You can cut the last length of rail to suit the length of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents. Stay away from second hand chain scrapers, the chains stretch, then come off the pulleys too. Bar and ratchet are more reliable.

+1 I have also seen older chain types where the chains start breaking with wear and corrosion. Which is a pure pain to repair and will probably only happen in mid january in freezing temperatures where walking across the yard is a chore in itself!! :rolleyes: We have four of the rail types. Only got the last one about 2 years ago and we were on the lookout for ages for a secondhand one. But they were very few and far between and any that were around were not worth looking at. Go for a new one definately. As well a lot of the older ones we saw (and have 2 of our own) arent galvanised which is a pure pain as the internal workings dont run as free as they should and often get stuck. All the newer ones are fully galvanised and there's not a bother with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭fastrac

I have heard good things about the rope ones sold by Dairypower in Cork.Worth a look .I assume there are outher dealers nationwide.

http://www.dairypower.ie/html/rope.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thanks for the replies so far . Ill give that crowd a ring even though id say new will be out of my price range :)

Advertisement