Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Kittens in my shed - what to do?

• 20-11-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭

A local cat (I think it's a pet, doesn't look wild) has just had kittens in the unused shed at the bottom of my garden. We just noticed 3 kittens creeping out of there yesterday morning. They look about 5 or 6 weeks old - they're well able to run and play.

So I don't know whose cat the mother is - I live in a pretty large estate, so going door to door is not really an option. I assume that she's set up home in my shed because her own home probably has other animals (dogs?) and she didn't feel it was safe? My shed is almost overgrown and is very secluded and sheltered, so a perfect spot to raise little ones, I guess.

I need some advice here. I love animals but am in no position to take on these little mites at this point, as much as I'd like to. If I start feeding them, I'm effectively taking ownership, but I don't want to see them go hungry, or go wild!

So what do I do?

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you can start to feed them and try to hand tame them, you could probably find homes for them.
    This is a very late litter, kittens born this late in the year don't do that well, so need a little help.
    Any cheap cat food (dry is best value) would do if its a money issue, you just need to get them tame enough to handle and catch. Call around rescues and tell them you have kittens, they may have people looking.

I would also advise catching mum, she will have more litters in the spring, so needs to be neutered. If you ask any local vets, you may get lucky and get a voucher for cheap neutering.

The mother was probably gotten as a pet and left go stray and get pregnant, if she has been a pet she will be easier to catch, but she could be feral, they don't always look rough.

Advertisement