Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4S

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a new smartphone and I've narrowed my choices down to the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the new iPhone 4S. From what I can see, the iPhone wins hands down in terms of usability, music support, number and quality of available apps and access to operating system upgrades so on that basis I was thinking of going for the 4S.

They match on camera specs, and the Galaxy S2 CPU is clocked a little higher and has a slightly bigger screen, but I just know from past experience (Europa and Galaxy Mini) that Samsung Android phones tend to be buggy and because Android upgrades are distributed via your network provider rather than the phone manufacturer, they tend to arrive late, if at all.

I'm just wondering if other people have a different take on this or if the Galaxy S2 has some amazing features that I'll miss out on with the iPhone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

lenovoguy wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a new smartphone and I've narrowed my choices down to the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the new iPhone 4S. From what I can see, the iPhone wins hands down in terms of usability, music support, number and quality of available apps and access to operating system upgrades so on that basis I was thinking of going for the 4S.

They match on camera specs, and the Galaxy S2 CPU is clocked a little higher and has a slightly bigger screen, but I just know from past experience (Europa and Galaxy Mini) that Samsung Android phones tend to be buggy and because Android upgrades are distributed via your network provider rather than the phone manufacturer, they tend to arrive late, if at all.

I'm just wondering if other people have a different take on this or if the Galaxy S2 has some amazing features that I'll miss out on with the iPhone?

The Galaxy S2 is imo still the best phone out there.

It is unbelievably smooth, though so is the iphone 4s
    It has a great camera, though so does the iphone 4s
    The Galaxy has a better screen
    With a micro SD slot available, I think they are both great to use as an mp3 player.

What sets the galaxy apart, imo, is:

- expandable storage
    - hardware is as good if not better in most areas
    - FM radio
    - customization (flash alternative OS, themes, wallpapers, widgets)
    - will soon be upgraded to Ice-Cream Sandwich, the latest version of android, which looks fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I got a Galaxy S2 yesterday and the Galaxy S2 is a much better piece of kit than the 4S

It is better than the 4S in the following ways;
    - Bigger screen
    - Better processor
    - Better, less Fisher Price like OS
    - Much better battery life (at the moment anyway)
    - It is lighter and thinner than the 4s
    - It is cheaper than the 4s
    - It has a micro-SD card slot

The S2 also has voice recognition on board, unlike the 4s which uses online servers. The voice recognition is quite impressive, it even censors swear words :rolleyes:

As for updates, Apple is having a fairly bad time with their iOS 5 update at the moment. The networks and manufacturers test the updates before they are applied to the phones to ensure that the phones still work after the update

There are rumours that Samsung are going to release a modified version of the Galway S2 with Windows Phone 7. This would probably be the best smartphone ever, but for now, that title is held by the S2

Check out the reviews of the 4s and S2 here;
    http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/samsung-galaxy-s2.htm

http://www.mobile-phones-uk.org.uk/apple-iphone-4s.htm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jahalpin wrote: »
    There are rumours that Samsung are going to release a modified version of the Galway S2 with Windows Phone 7. This would probably be the best smartphone ever, but for now, that title is held by the S2
    Naming a global brandname gadget after Galway would be the smartest move of all time, bring it on Samsung! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

It really depends on what you need. Id pick the 4S over the S2. I had the S2. Didnt see the big fuss tbh. Yeah its cool and stuff but i mean thats where it ends. Most of the iPhone experience get extended with apps . Which there are plenty

Why? Because specs dont really mean anything. Fine if you want something that has a big V8 and you can brag about what it can do probably S2 is the better choice as it has better hardware in all cases except when it comes to screen resolution.

iPhone is more of a complete package. Where it just simply works and most apps have higher quality and consistency compared to Android market. The phone itself will retain alot more value than compared to the SGS2 will drop it quite fast. You can already pick one up on adverts for sub 400 where as iphone will keep it for years.

But hey brace yourself with lots of other people trying to prove me wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lenovoguy

iPhone is more of a complete package. Where it just simply works and most apps have higher quality and consistency compared to Android market.

This was my own perception. I've used a few mid to low-end Android phones, from LG, Samsung, HTC etc, and found that the software can be horrendously unreliable - one Samsung would randomly freeze up and the screen would go black, requiring a reboot. It would also randomly disconnect from wireless networks or mobile data would disappear.

This is where system software updates become important, but on Android you may never get a system software update because they have to be vetted by your mobile provider and operating system updates add new functionality which removes the incentive to upgrade to a newer phone. I couldn't believe it when I heard that the iPhone 3GS is two and a half years old and it still got the iOS 5 update, although it'll probably be the last major update it gets before it's retired.

Additionally, it seems to me that Android users are second class citizens when it comes to app choice and availability. iPhone as a platform is given priority by most of the big name app vendors like Facebook, Twitter right down to our own indigenous ones like Dublin Bus and AIB.

It's these two factors which are kind of making me lean towards iPhone. It's just that it's so much money, I don't fork out on a sub-par device :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

But hey brace yourself with lots of other people trying to prove me wrong ;)

But that's what you've just tried to do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

lenovoguy wrote: »
    iPhone is more of a complete package. Where it just simply works and most apps have higher quality and consistency compared to Android market.

This was my own perception. I've used a few mid to low-end Android phones, from LG, Samsung, HTC etc, and found that the software can be horrendously unreliable - one Samsung would randomly freeze up and the screen would go black, requiring a reboot. It would also randomly disconnect from wireless networks or mobile data would disappear.

This is where system software updates become important, but on Android you may never get a system software update because they have to be vetted by your mobile provider and operating system updates add new functionality which removes the incentive to upgrade to a newer phone. I couldn't believe it when I heard that the iPhone 3GS is two and a half years old and it still got the iOS 5 update, although it'll probably be the last major update it gets before it's retired.

Additionally, it seems to me that Android users are second class citizens when it comes to app choice and availability. iPhone as a platform is given priority by most of the big name app vendors like Facebook, Twitter right down to our own indigenous ones like Dublin Bus and AIB.

It's these two factors which are kind of making me lean towards iPhone. It's just that it's so much money, I don't fork out on a sub-par device :)
    You can't compare a high end device like the iPhone with lower end Android devices

I was comparing iPhone 4S to the S2. Unless your trying to tell me the S2 is a low end device :)

I have a few friends who got the S2 and are happy with the phone. Most of their response was wish they could get iOS or Windows Phone 7 on the S2. Because it is a class phone. I just think Android lets the S2 down.

If we had the Samsung Focus S in Ireland then we would be in business :)

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

If you like tinkering with a phone, you can load a few ROMS on the Galaxy S2, its simple to play with. This might enhance the experience for some who found issues with the standard ROM. If this is the case then the GS2 may be for you.

'Tinkering' is not possible with the iPhone, what you see is what you get. You are tied into Apple services and Market. If you don't like tinkering with phones and want it to work from the box with no hassle, then the iPhone may be for you.

I like trying different Rom's and customizing phones to my taste, therefore I would take the S2, even ahead of the new Nexus which doesn't facilitate memory expansion but has a slightly better screen and comes with ICS(Android 4.0).

Its horses for courses.....

My 2drachma

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

jahalpin wrote: »
    I got a Galaxy S2 yesterday and the Galaxy S2 is a much better piece of kit than the 4S

It is better than the 4S in the following ways;
    - Bigger screen
    - Better processor
    - Better, less Fisher Price like OS
    - Much better battery life (at the moment anyway)
    - It is lighter and thinner than the 4s
    - It is cheaper than the 4s
    - It has a micro-SD card slot

As for updates, Apple is having a fairly bad time with their iOS 5 update at the moment. The networks and manufacturers test the updates before they are applied to the phones to ensure that the phones still work after the update
    Im sorry dude, but almost all of that is just not true.
    - Bigger Screen - Yes, but lower resolution.
    - Better Processor - Spec wise yes, benchmarks suggest the 4s is faster than any currently shipping Android, including the SGS II
    - Battery life on the SGS II is not better than the 4s, either on manufacturer specs or in my experience (I own both, find the 4s lasts longer)
    - Not true, the SGS at it's widest point is thicker than the 4s at it's narrowest point, due to the camera bulge
    - Not much cheaper, same price on 3, comparable sim-free prices
    - SD Card - yes true.

Networks DO NOT test iOS updates, Apple rolls them out, regardless of what carriers think. It is up to them to optimise using carrier files. No bloatware from the carriers, same experience across all carriers.

In it's favour the 4s has access to the best app store currently available, great manufacturer support and fantastic build quality. There is a great suite of iCloud, iTunes, iWork and Mac apps, not to mention the incredible Apple TV which is a joy to use. Add to this an incredible array of accessories, peripherals and 3rd party uses make the iPhone simply unmatched by any other ecosystem.

The downsides are the smaller screen than the likes of the Galaxy, fewer ways to personalise your phone (unless you jailbreak). Flash is DOA, so not worth mentioning.

It's a personal thing, the SGS II is a very nice device, but I just don't enjoy using it as much as the iPhone on a day-to-day basis. I spend more time fiddling with it to make it "perfect" than actually using it as a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

bd250110 wrote: »
    Im sorry dude, but almost all of that is just not true.
    - Bigger Screen - Yes, but lower resolution.
    - Better Processor - Spec wise yes, benchmarks suggest the 4s is faster than any currently shipping Android, including the SGS II
    - Battery life on the SGS II is not better than the 4s, either on manufacturer specs or in my experience (I own both, find the 4s lasts longer)
    - Not true, the SGS at it's widest point is thicker than the 4s at it's narrowest point, due to the camera bulge
    - Not much cheaper, same price on 3, comparable sim-free prices
    - SD Card - yes true.

Networks DO NOT test iOS updates, Apple rolls them out, regardless of what carriers think. It is up to them to optimise using carrier files. No bloatware from the carriers, same experience across all carriers.

In it's favour the 4s has access to the best app store currently available, great manufacturer support and fantastic build quality. There is a great suite of iCloud, iTunes, iWork and Mac apps, not to mention the incredible Apple TV which is a joy to use. Add to this an incredible array of accessories, peripherals and 3rd party uses make the iPhone simply unmatched by any other ecosystem.

The downsides are the smaller screen than the likes of the Galaxy, fewer ways to personalise your phone (unless you jailbreak). Flash is DOA, so not worth mentioning.

It's a personal thing, the SGS II is a very nice device, but I just don't enjoy using it as much as the iPhone on a day-to-day basis. I spend more time fiddling with it to make it "perfect" than actually using it as a phone.
    This is the very reason I'm back to an actual phone, that makes calls and texts and has a battery life greater than a week:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

My main reason for choosing an android phone would be because i can use winamp on it and play FLAC files.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    My main reason for choosing an android phone would be because i can use winamp on it and play FLAC files.

What kind of flies are FLAC? Would VLC play those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

bd250110 wrote: »
    What kind of flies are FLAC? Would VLC play those?

Free Lossless Audio Codec.
    Basically compressed audio but no loss of audio quality that you get with MP3, AAC, WMA etc.
    Apple's take on it is AALC.

Massively bigger than your typical MP3 file though, about 400MB for a typical album.

VLC does play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Spec wise most people won't notice much difference. But, Just pick up them both together and you will see the difference. The i phone is like a brick! It weighs a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

pabloh999 wrote: »
    The i phone is like a brick! It weighs a ton.

Really? Of all the things you could throw at an iPhone that's the one that sticks out for you? There's a difference of 30g.

Really? Of all the things you could throw at an iPhone that's the one that sticks out for you? There's a difference of 30g.
    The i phone feels a good deal heavier.

It does. Id still prefer the weight of HTC and iPhone. It gives a good solid feel in your hand.

Not saying S2 isnt a solid phone (except for the flimsy back cover)

My only problem with the iPhone is explained here

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Spook80

Personally i'd go for and have gone for the 4s and find it much better.

As for the video above, well like any expensive phone i think if you're in the habit of dropping it then i don't think ya should buy one but for the 4s i find the official bumper is a must.

Each to their own and all that! Little things with the i phone annoy me. The lack of a "back up" button or menu button can be very annoying. I suppose you would get used to it.
    Also the i phone is a nightmare trying to bluetooth anything to another non i phone device. I couldnt bluetooth pics from my s2 to a 4s.
    Was i missing something??

• Advertisement

DaveM80 a phone shouldn't be as brittle as iPhone is. Nearly everyone i know that has an iPhone 4 has cracked screen. 90% of them. They dropped it, some one else dropped it, some one stepped on it. Through out my whole history of phones not one phone was broken and they got a good few drops. I think my HTC HD2 was the most hardcore phone I ever owned.

I do really see iOS as a great product. But you shouldn't be tied to buy a case just in order to keep a phone in shape. I haven't had a rubber case on my Omnia 7 for months now. Just a wrap because the phone metal isn't rubberised and its really slippy.

You cant send files via Bluetooth on iPhone or Windows Phone 7.

Just email the pics or use the likes of Dropbox.

Advertisement