Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to ice eyes?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I can't look at this site anymore it's just so cute it makes me wanna cry (sad I know)

http://cutestfood.com/4553/shreks-gingerbread-man/

Can anyone tell me how do you make the white eyes on Gingy so they come out neat like the ones in the pic? It does look like thick regular icing but how do they make it so neat? What do you use for his mouth? Is it just coloured icing, and what about his eyebrows?

I loves Gingy and would love to try and make him:D other problem I'd have though is his shape, he's not a typical traditional gingerbread man shape is it possible to get a Gingy cutter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I reckon that's thick royal icing piped by someone with a very steady hand. I'd bet it's just coloured for the eyebrows. As for his shape, you could print it out, cut it out in cardboard and then just use that to cut around with a knife.

http://www.diamondsfordessert.com/2010/12/gingy-bread-men.html

or even better, make your own cutters!

And don't for get his buttons, "not his gumdrop buttons!" :)

I love me a Ginger, I do.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you had that roll out icing you could rollout balls for eyes and lines, just like plasticine. Then use regular icing as "glue" if the roll out stuff does not press on easily.

You can get oversized foodgrade syringes in pet shops for hand feeding small animals, these should let you pipe icing with good control.

You could also pipe it out onto baking paper and let them harden and then pick off the good ones and "glue" them in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Roll tiny balls of fondant and when you flatten them onto the cookie hey presto you'll have eyes :)

His stitches and stuff could be made from it too, you can pick some up in Tesco.

Advertisement