Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why could you never live abroad?

• 20-11-2011 11:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 reasons that in 3 minutes become 1

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Does life get any better than this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

brennans and kerrygold are available online in the USA. Some stores stock them too. So you are now free to leave Ireland.

Edit; And Tayto too.

http://www.foodireland.com/ (just one example)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

But I could? In fairness so could you. You ma could post stuff to you. Unless she's dead I guess. Amazon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Melion wrote: »

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Hate to state the obvious but you've a very boring life don't you? :pac:

Also brown bread and king crisps. So there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭wolf moon

The 3 things that would make me fat and my cholesterol rocketing up.

No thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The bread would never taste the same as when its bought first thing in the morning here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Had to have brown sauce sent over to Korea, brought some over again myself when I was home and went back.

Nothing to make me not live abroad, except for my family, but skype and visits home every now and then sorts that out

The bread would never taste the same as when its bought first thing in the morning here

You could always make your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Brennans bread is terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Prefer king crisps , bagels and low low to keep dreaded colesterol down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I'm almost certain you can get bread, butter and crisps anywhere in the world. Unless you're in Burma or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

professore wrote: »
    Brennans bread is terrible

Chalk it down. And nearly always stale. :mad:

maxfresh wrote: »
    Prefer king crisps (hell yes) , bagels (umm. okay) and low low (f*ck no) to keep dreaded colesterol down :)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Convicted sex offender :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Why couldn't I? Sher the place is crawling with foreigners

joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Livin like a king on d dole,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I don't have any reasons.
    I'd love to live abroad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Guinness and Irish Women

inmyday wrote: »
    Guinness and Irish Women

Two reasons to stay, or two reasons to leave? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

You forgot the Barrys tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

Don't forget about Lyons Tea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Tayto, i can take them or leave them. walkers ready salted are nicer.
    Brennans bread, never buy it but don't eat much bread anyway.
    Butter, for all of it i eat it would not matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

I'm almost certain you can get bread, butter and crisps anywhere in the world. Unless you're in Burma or something.

As someone who moved to Ireland from England 5 years ago I can wholeheartedly confirm that these products(or similar) are very much available in England at least, if nowhere else.

Abi wrote: »

Cof Lyons cof.

Redlion wrote: »
    Don't forget about Lyons Tea!

gtfo :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Livin like a king on d dole,

didn't know you could

gtfo :mad:

Back to Cork with ya! :P

chin_grin wrote: »
    Cof Lyons cof.

And you can gerr out and all!

Back to Cork with ya! :P

Lyon's is tarry flavoured shyte :p

OT, Not technically abroad - but I'd love to move to Engerland. I've family living there years, and I've loved it every time I've been. Would still be able to get mah tae handy enough too (:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Yes it does, its called living in a stable country called Canada with an excellent standard of living and decent career prospects, something which doesn't exist in Ireland for most people anymore.

I think Ill live without the above three items as a trade-off.

• Advertisement

Lyon's is tarry flavoured shyte :p

OT, Not technically abroad - but I'd love to move to Engerland. I've family living there years, and I've loved it every time I've been. Would still be able to get mah tae handy enough too (:

I couldn't read the first part of that post because of the enjoyment of a lovely cuppa Lyons :D

Ah wouldn't mind living in England either, has been great any time I've been over...but let's agree on something, any Irish tea is still better than Tetleys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

1) king are waaaay nicer, if i were a bigger crisp fan i'd miss them alright
    2) bread is bread (and the missus is on some diet that doesn't allow bread so there's none in the house, meh)
    3) kerrygold is freely available in tesco here

one thing I do miss a bit is club orange, but most o'neills and gaa clubs here do stock it so i get my fix every other week :D

things i don't miss. . .
    1) everybody has a job
    2) nobody's pissing and moaning constantly

also, surprisingly, the weather is so much better but I don't want to jinx it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Was never a big fan of Tayto, much prefer Walkers. Although if I wanted I could get it at the Irish pub near me.

Hate Brennan's, German bread is waaay better. They actually make slices of toast that FIT in the toaster.

And most places I've been in the world you can get Kerrygold in the shops. It's actually the only butter I use because most of it over here is that unsalted cr*p.

I do miss proper tea. Germans don't like tea for some reason. Thank God they sell Rooibos here...

I couldn't read the first part of that post because of the enjoyment of a lovely cuppa Lyons :D
    /sips

You can have it buddy, I'm happy the feck out with my glass of red :pac:

Ah wouldn't mind living in England either, has been great any time I've been over...but let's agree on something, any Irish tea is still better than Tetleys!

Done!

/shakes paw

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

didn't know you could
    ah well now, living at home, get my meals cooked for me, have a few cans of an evening, dont mingle with the commoners too much...

Not exactly coke and hookers, but shur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's always some thieving bastard with an Irish shop in the ghetto. Four thousand quid for a lump of rancid Kerrygold, and a bottle of red lemonade laced with piss for a couple of hundred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

OneArt wrote: »

Hate Brennan's, German bread is waaay better. They actually make slices of toast that FIT in the toaster.

Silly Germans, tell them bread goes in the toaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

ban these 3 and cut the cost of the HSE in half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Kerrygold is the only thing in the OP that I'm arsed about.

Tayto - meh.
    Brennan's - it's grand, but I avoid sliced pan these days. Homemade soda bread FTW, so easy and you can make it in any country!

If you ever go, be warned, the pig products aren't up to Irish standards. Well, actually, in some areas they are but what you'll find in the UK is that certain areas are great for certain things but that quality doesn't spread nationwide like it would in Ireland.
    theteal wrote: »
    2) bread is bread (and the missus is on some diet that doesn't allow bread

You think so, but bread in the UK is dire. Strangely flavourless. I took to making my own bread over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Lived in the States up until this past Spring.

Kerrygold products are available in a lot of US supermarkets. Once you do the euro to dollar conversion, they are actually cheaper to buy there than they are here. Go figure !

Most American cities will have an Irish or English food store, or CostPlus World Market where you can get all the Tayto's, Heinz salad cream, Cadburys choccies, Bisto gravy granules, Barry's tea, Digestive bikkies and even Selection Boxes etc etc that your little homesick heart can possibly desire.

Ya got me on the Brennan's bread 'tho ! First thing I always lashed into whenever I came home was a Superquinn sossie sambo on Brennans bread....nom nom nom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Lyons Tea & Donegal Creameries milk...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

ProudDUB wrote: »

Ya got me on the Brennan's bread 'tho ! First thing I always lashed into whenever I came home was a Superquinn sossie sambo on Brennans bread....nom nom nom...

Yeah, outside of the big cities getting decent bread is near impossible. The corner store near me in small town New Jersey used to sell bread with an 18 month shelf life :eek:.

I missed rashers as well, American bacon....no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I could never live abroad because of their fockiing accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Lived in the States up until this past Spring.

Kerrygold products are available in a lot of US supermarkets. Once you do the euro to dollar conversion, they are actually cheaper to buy there than they are here. Go figure !

Most American cities will have an Irish or English food store, or CostPlus World Market where you can get all the Tayto's, Heinz salad cream, Cadburys choccies, Bisto gravy granules, Barry's tea, Digestive bikkies and even Selection Boxes etc etc that your little homesick heart can possibly desire.

America really does have the blandest food, like everything you buy in the supermarket is way too processed and ends up tasteless. Europe is the best place for food IMO. could never leave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

. The corner store near me in small town New Jersey used to sell bread with an 18 month shelf life :eek:.

Really 18 months ? I am suspicious of bread that has a 3 or 4 day shelf live never mind 18 months i would love to see the ingredient list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Don't they make different mixtures of tea leaves for tea around different regions around the world, and even in one country? I know in G.B. they do.

It's actually someones job to check the blend and make sure it tastes good with each towns water supply.

My housemate brings Barrys tea over here to Wales and it tastes like ****e compared to at home... because the water's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Really 18 months ? I am suspicious of bread that has a 3 or 4 day shelf live never mind 18 months i would love to see the ingredient list.

Yeah, it really was 18 months eek.gif. We thought it was a misprint originally but it was on all the loafs and it happened for around 2 months in a row. We didn't sample the "bread" as you can imagine. I don't even want to guess what ingredients were in it.
    America really does have the blandest food, like everything you buy in the supermarket is way too processed and ends up tasteless. Europe is the best place for food IMO. could never leave it

Ah that's a bit unfair. The rural towns and villages of the US have some truely awful food, no doubt about that. But all the major cities are generally up there with European one's for the most part, particularly with ethnic dishes.

New York, DC, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle etc. all have thriving restaurant scenes. I didn't find Boston particularly good for some reason though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

most of the stuff mentioned in this thread are sold in england in quite easy reach places,kerry gold is without doubt the easiest thing to get in england as its sold as standard in supermarkets and shops.

surprised no one mentioned club orange and galtee black pudding.:cool:
    mum and dad used to go to several irish shops over here to get their fixes,mums major thing is irish soda bread.

one place that woud chose if was moving countries, woud be to donegal,woud have some land-only a bungalow with a few acres,one stable and a horse,lots of pet chickens,a guard llama,a pet sheep,a pet cow plus its mums hometown,love the country side.

in reality though will never move country,that woud mean change on a deeply painful profound level.
    in fact am not allowed to move out the borough here-living in residential care the council will only fund within the borough they do not want to fund out of borough.

Fart wrote: »
    My housemate brings Barrys tea over here to Wales and it tastes like ****e compared to at home... because the water's different.

You're bang on there. It can be a combination between the water and / or the milk when you're away. Not the same!

Btw, your username always cracks me up :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You can buy most of the items listed in any Irish centre in England but you'll pay the extra charge which could be anything from 50p to over £1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Weather.

We have it good in Ireland. No matter how many people moan and whinge.

Not too hot in the Summer, and not too cold in the Winter. Also no mosquitoes, I hate them with a passion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement