Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why could you never live abroad?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There are things I'd miss like going for walks in certain places. I can't think of any food I'd miss though.

By the way, did you notice the word IMPORTED in big black capital letters on the Kerrygold butter? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Black pudding, the kerry countryside and my girlfriend.

But then again, I do still live abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Brennan's bread, cadbury's chocolate and the OH.
    The atmosphere of friendliness in Maynooth and all my friends!
    Three weeks and six days til I move home again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

I live overseas for work. I can confirm that butter is widely available and tastes great. Lays crisps are for sale here and are better than Tayto. Not much in the way of bread but no harm, it's great for the waistline.

I do miss certain foodstuffs but nothing that I can't happily live without. In saying that, I'll be back briefly at Christmas and will be gorging myself on beef, pork, spuds and chocolate. I would hardly use food items as a valid reason not to live abroad, that's a bit sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, I've lived abroad over 10 years and there are better options than Tayto, Kerrygold is everywhere (they even have their own cheese and bread brands) and fresh bread from the bakery blows Brennan's away any day.

But I've yet to find a blood sausage (French come close) as good as clonakilty's black pudding!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

People listing the food as a reason not to emigrate :D

If culchies didn't exist you would have to make them up, just too comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I dont think i could move to anywhere that they dont show Home And Away, id miss all the other soaps aswell, never got into the habit of downloading shows, and if i did, i wouldnt be bothered with emmerdale or eastenders or the rest, i just dont get watching tv on demand, on a computer, i dont use sky+, i like my programmes on at a certain time, on a proper television screen...

I dont think i could move to anywhere that they dont show Home And Away, id miss all the other soaps aswell, never got into the habit of downloading shows, and if i did, i wouldnt be bothered with emmerdale or eastenders or the rest, i just dont get watching tv on demand, on a computer, i dont use sky+, i like my programmes on at a certain time, on a proper television screen...
    You wouldn't travel, live abroad etc because of home and away :confused: am I re..what? you serious? is it that integral to your life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, I've lived abroad over 10 years and there are better options than Tayto, Kerrygold is everywhere (they even have their own cheese and bread brands) and fresh bread from the bakery blows Brennan's away any day.

But I've yet to find a blood sausage (French come close) as good as clonakilty's black pudding!

Try a proper Bury Black Pudding. They put all the Irish ones to shame.

• Advertisement

summerskin wrote: »
    Try a proper Bury Black Pudding. They put all the Irish ones to shame.

Cheers, will keep an eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

inmyday wrote: »
    Guinness and Irish Women

Guinness is rank and Irish women are stuck up geebags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Barrys Tea is pretty much the same as Yorkshire Tea (Equally good anyways)

Here in NL you can get Cathedral Chedder in the Supermarket, Rashers, Sausages, Kettle Chips, Burts Chips (Both are way better than Taytos)

When I'm in work in Germany nearly every supermarket sells Kerrygold, although in reality all Kerrygold is, is salted butter.

Beer in Germany beats the pants off of the Pisch in Ireland, and a crate can be purchased for as little as 6 euros.

The local offie across the road from my gaff (5 minutes walk) has the biggest beer selection i've ever seen :D

http://www.mitraslijterijvanbergen.nl/en/category/bier/

I can get a train to Amsterdam, takes around 1hr 35minutes,
    A train to London takes 5 hours.

I can cycle over the border to Belgium to get big fireworks for new years (NL has resrictions on the size you can buy)

I can drive down to Luxembourg or Munich for a few days, or fly direct from one of the best connected airports in the World (Amsterdam-Schiphol) or with Ryanballs from Eindhoven or even Weeze, flight to Dublin is usually around 40 euros return with that Mastercard Debit Card.

A shopping trip can be done to Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys/M&S if you really want UK/Irish specific stuff with the Ferry or Eurostar (were heading over in a few weeks, ferry is costing us 100 euros return)

You can even buy funny cigarettes in some certain local shops if your into that kind of thing (I'm not)

Honestly the only thing I can think of that I can't get a decent substitute for is Lucozade and thats probably a good thing.

The longer I live here the less I want to live in Ireland, it great, our Neighbourhood is fantastic and I can get places without needing a car.

When I'm in work in Germany nearly every supermarket sells Kerrygold, although in reality all Kerrygold is, is salted butter.

I got caught out by this a few times :D

You can get Kerrygold unsalted as well, not very obvious on their packaging, there is a swirl somewhere under the logo that will have either salted or unsalted on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Leftist wrote: »
    You wouldn't travel, live abroad etc because of home and away :confused: am I re..what? you serious? is it that integral to your life?
    well, a whole lot more than Taytos and Brennans bread are, anyway...

In terms of food, i would miss Club Orange, not that i drink it that often, and McCambridge brown bread, (dont have it that often either), maybe the fry-up, i dont know how hard it is to get a good sausage or black pudding abroad. Basically, id survive on whatevers put infront of me.

And as was mentioned, the weather, i dont like the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

Live in Holland.

Miss clonakilty white pudding, lucozade and sausages food wise. And decent rashers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Lived abroad for years, other than Family & relations, Never missed any of the Regular Irish :necessities: when in rome do as the romans do.

well, a whole lot more than Taytos and Brennans bread are, anyway...

In terms of food, i would miss Club Orange, not that i drink it that often, and McCambridge brown bread, (dont have it that often either), maybe the fry-up, i dont know how hard it is to get a good sausage or black pudding abroad. Basically, id survive on whatevers put infront of me.

And as was mentioned, the weather, i dont like the sun
    Club orange and brennans bread. Just, wow.

The continentals haven't a clue with their fresh bakeries littered everywhere.

Grey sky, wind & rain > sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

simonmln wrote: »
    Miss clonakilty white pudding, lucozade and sausages food wise. And decent rashers.

Don't get the obsession with Lucozade, it tastes mank to me. And is so sugary, it makes cola look like the purest of spring water. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

theteal wrote: »
    one thing I do miss a bit is club orange, but most o'neills and gaa clubs here do stock it so i get my fix every other week :D
    Only the Irish could invent a fizzy beverage that has 50% more sugar than full-fat Coca Cola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Melion wrote: »
    I have 3 reasons that in 3 minutes become 1

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Does life get any better than this?

They sell kerrygold in Tesco in the Czech Republic. I'll post a picture when I have one to prove it.

They also sell warburtons bread which is very similar to Brennans.

You can stock up on tayto and dennys sausages and rashers when you go home at Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Club orange and brennans bread. Just, wow.

The continentals haven't a clue with their fresh bakeries littered everywhere.

Grey sky, wind & rain > sun.

My sister lives in Cyprus and the weather there can get up to forty degrees in the summer. There's hardly any rain so there's often water shortages. I'll take wet weather over that any day.

I went to see her a few years ago around Christmas time and it was about twenty degrees. One day my sister complained that it was "like Siberia". If I lived somewhere that got so hot that twenty degree weather seemed "like Siberia" I'd crack up.

It's nice to visit in the cooler months of the year but no way could I live there.

syklops wrote: »
    They sell kerrygold in Tesco in the Czech Republic. I'll post a picture when I have one to prove it.

They also sell warburtons bread which is very similar to Brennans.

You can stock up on tayto and dennys sausages and rashers when you go home at Christmas.

One thing I hate about czech is the aisles of fresh baked bread, it makes me yearn for brennans or a baguette that's been frozen in a warehouse for a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Brennan's bread is pure schite. Especially that white one.

Worst bread has to be in the US though. So packed with sugars and crap it actually tastes sweet. Ick.

UK bread is fine.

But brown soda bread FTW. With a cup of Barry's Tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Only the Irish could invent a fizzy beverage that has 50% more sugar than full-fat Coca Cola.

It's unbelievable the difference in Fanta between the UK and Ireland. I never drank it in Ireland because I don't like beverages where the only discernible taste is sugar, but used to have the odd can in England because it was nowhere near as sugary and had a nice orange juicy flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

in about 3 years Im moving close to jackson national park in Wyoming fingers crossed

Don't get the obsession with Lucozade, it tastes mank to me. And is so sugary, it makes cola look like the purest of spring water. :pac:

Ah I know. I cant help it. Even when im drinking it, I look at how luminously orange it is and dont understand why im drinking it. Still though, its the job for a hangover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

simonmln wrote: »
    Ah I know. I cant help it. Even when im drinking it, I look at how luminously orange it is and dont understand why im drinking it. Still though, its the job for a hangover!

So is a dioralyte, and about 50 times better for your body.....

So is a dioralyte, and about 50 times better for your body.....

Ya I know. I dont drink it just for its hangover curing abilities. I also like the taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

professore wrote: »
    Brennans bread is terrible

As is any bread from Dublin generally.

One thing I hate about czech is the aisles of fresh baked bread, it makes me yearn for brennans or a baguette that's been frozen in a warehouse for a year.

Get the Warburtons then. Its really nice. Exactly the same as what I call normal bread. Not the dense toast bread they usually have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    As is any bread from Dublin generally.
    I really didn't think you could do any worse than Dublin bread until I moved to Meath. Donegal bread for the epic.

Either way, as someone who's done a little bit of living and working abroad, I'd gladly sacrifice Tayto/Brennans/Kerrygold. There's so much good stuff out there in mainland Europe that your head would explode.

If your world is limited to those things then you might as well add 'the way Mammy washes and irons my clothes' to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Ah here, I hate this idea that looking down on everything Irish is somehow really cool and hip. There's tonnes of bakeries with yummy bread all across Ireland or even Superquinn if there isn't a local one. If you can't find fresh baked bread in Ireland you're just talking pure bollocks. Making homemade brown bread is really simple if it's that big an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Get the Warburtons then. Its really nice. Exactly the same as what I call normal bread. Not the dense toast bread they usually have.

I think he's being sarcastic actually...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I find the Tayto lasts well but the Denny's stuff tends to grey and smelly after about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

tayto-500w.jpg
    brennans-bread.jpg
    Butter-Bar.gif

Commentary like this is the reason I live abroad. It vastly, however not completely, reduces my risk of interacting with Irish idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

My sister lives in Cyprus and the weather there can get up to forty degrees in the summer. There's hardly any rain so there's often water shortages. I'll take wet weather over that any day.

I went to see her a few years ago around Christmas time and it was about twenty degrees. One day my sister complained that it was "like Siberia". If I lived somewhere that got so hot that twenty degree weather seemed "like Siberia" I'd crack up.

It's nice to visit in the cooler months of the year but no way could I live there.

I used to dream about cold rain, the place I was living in had no air conditioning and I had to wake up and drive around in the car at 3am in the night to cool down.

If you are cold, you can do things to get warm, but if you are hot there is not much you can do about it. Pure misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

conakility black, a pint or two of the black stuff might be pined for if abroad but other than that, living abroad was interesting and not an idea abandoned just yet.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Commentary like this is the reason I live abroad. It vastly, however not completely, reduces my risk of interacting with Irish idiots.

Thanks for stopping by arseburger, you stay classy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

ArseBurger wrote: »

Answering posts on Boards.ie would probably reduce the risk of interacting with us Irish idiots even more :confused:You sound like a dick

TheUsual wrote: »
    I find the Tayto lasts well but the Denny's stuff tends to grey and smelly after about a week.

I find the sausages and rashers dont last a week :)

• Advertisement

Ah here, I hate this idea that looking down on everything Irish is somehow really cool and hip. There's tonnes of bakeries with yummy bread all across Ireland or even Superquinn if there isn't a local one. If you can't find fresh baked bread in Ireland you're just talking pure bollocks. Making homemade brown bread is really simple if it's that big an issue.

Innnnnnnnnnncorrect. There's about 3 superquinns left and having worked for a while in cold storage in Dublin I know that fresh bread is actually frozen for about a year prior to dispatch and cook.

Advertisement