Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emails work via Wifi, not via 3G

Options
  • 20-11-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello

I have sent/received emails during the last 4 months via my smartphone without any problems (Samsung Galaxy S2 / Three). Since a couple of days I have problems with receiving/sending emails via 3G, but it is working without any problems via Wifi. I haven't changed settings (POP3 and SMTP) and settings are exactly the same like on my desktop PC.
    Any feedback regrding this issue is appreciated.

DDDoc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Test normal internet works first. Toggle airplane mode to fix if it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DDDoc

Thanks srsly78!
    Internet browsing works always fine, just emailing not. Flight mode is not active!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

what email provider do you use?
    does email work sometimes or just not work all the time?

Gmail and a German email provider.
    On WiFi it works always. On 3G it works for a couple of hours and then not for a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have a similar issue myself. With O2 and have a galaxy mini that quite often (but not always) will not be able to our exchange server over 3G but will over Wifi. Internet works during these periods and the exchange server is accessible through a web browser on the phone.

• Advertisement

Interesting to see that you have exactly the same issue with O2 like me. Could you do something to improve the situation? I just found out when leaving 3G not active 24/7, it works when I activate it when necessary.

A custom ROM seemed to alleviate it some what. however the Galaxy mini was only a stop gap phone and I have since moved to another stop gap phone (acer liquid metal) due in part to email issue. This has a seperate email client on it other then the bog standard android client and this seems to be working without issue.

So I'm not sure if the issue is a conflict between Samsungs firmware, O2 and exchange or android's standard email client, 02 and exchange.

By any chance do you know what version of Exchange your company runs? truthfully it had been driving me nuts trying to figure out were the issue and thinking it was just our set up so at least knowing that someone else is having the problem is a bit relieving

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

I had a similar problem with the Samsung S2 email client that came preloaded on the phone. I switched over to K-9 and have not had any issues. It really bugged me for ages.

I switched over to K-9 and have not had any issues. It really bugged me for ages.

K-9 won't work with exchange 2010 it seems

@ justsomebloke: it is a private phone, so it isnt linked to a company exchange.
    @ lostindharma: k9 didnt work for - it worked only when the other email app worked but didnt work when the other email didnt work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement