Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composite/RF out pc card for a build

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking to find a link/site for a tv out card for a dell optiplex. I would like the card to have a RF output (for coaxial distribution around the house to other tvs for media playing purposes) and/or a composite output (yellow video output connector) and possibly a hdmi output.

I would like the RF output preferably but failing that, at least a composite output with a HDMI output

Am i dreaming or is there any card with these?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Any help with this would be very much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I've used this card on quite a few Optiplex PCs, including 380, 780 and 960 models. It is a low profile card though, to fit in the smaller DT case, but it will work in the full tower case if you take the plate off the card.

The card has Dual DVI output and an S-Video output. It is very rare that a video card has composite video output, so instead, just use a converter like this one to do the job.

Hope that helps.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

an old video recorder will do the job of Composite to RF. but if your up to it, you can pull the module and build it into your pc. 5volts, Cvid in, Gnd. then RF out, j:P

whizbang wrote: »
    an old video recorder will do the job of Composite to RF. but if your up to it, you can pull the module and build it into your pc. 5volts, Cvid in, Gnd. then RF out, j:P

Thats basically the same as a RF modulator... have one spare so i am sorted on that front for now....

I do like the recommendation from robbie1876, on the DVI/s video out card and i might go with that one, but just before i make the buy... would anyone else have a solution for my idea above?

HTPC running XMBC distributed over coax to other tvs... would the ATI card mentioned above -> using s-video out -> s-video to composite convertor cable (and separate audio cable for sound) -> to RF modulator to all tvs via coax distribution amp in attic work?

Anyone tried this?

(Failing all this, i would just connect the HTPC directly to my main sitting room tv via HDMI, - but just the thought of XMBC available to be view from any tv is too tempting to pass up!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i think you would be bat**** crazy to use RF for video distribution these days :P
    is it just for cheapness sake or is it already wired into the house?

if you are deadset, i cant see any issue why it wouldnt work. i had a media pc (svideo (gfx card) to composite + audio (sound card)) to rf modulator (vcr) to tv (28" crt) about 10 years ago without any issues (except it being terribly **** picture and sound quality :))

best of luck

• Advertisement

subway wrote: »
    is it just for cheapness sake or is it already wired into the house?

Already wired into the house as have sky plus distributed to all tvs via coax so the infrastructure is already there to do it that way. It would just be easy to link into the coax distribution amp. (rewiring the whole house with cat5/6 or HDMI is not an option im afraid).

I do understand it might not be the greatest way of getting the picture around the house, but at least the tv in the sitting room will be connected directly to the htpc via HDMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Well then go for it :)
    It will work but you will need a modulator and maybe an rf remote so you can control the tv through the walls

Advertisement