Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifting Questions Thread

• 21-11-2011 12:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Rules, equipment, training... let's see em!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hanley wrote: »
    Rules, equipment, training... let's see em!

http://youtu.be/BewJ0gFA47M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Answer: No, that's not powerlifting :)

Answer: No, that's not powerlifting :)

Close enough:D
    How about this,this is powerlifting atleast;)

http://youtu.be/i1O-yISszn4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I was previously trying to improve my bench. I figured if I knew what my max was to start with, I could do 6 reps at 80% for four sets . Increasing the weight every few weeks like. Is this the best way?

Dunno exactly when I'll get back to it. But looking back could I have done something as straight-forward and achieved a decent result?

Close enough:D
    How about this,this is powerlifting atleast;)

http://youtu.be/i1O-yISszn4

No, that's a hitched deadlift with straps :D

• Advertisement

No, that's a hitched deadlift with straps :D

fair enough,you win:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Why do people lift equipped?

What is the attraction of being literally pulled, dragged and beaten into a squat suit, bench shirt and or deadlift suit and being left bruised, sometimes bleeding, and sore while increasing the length of your training sessions from 1-2 hours up to 3-4 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

What is the attraction of being literally pulled, dragged and beaten into a squat suit, bench shirt and or deadlift suit and being left bruised, sometimes bleeding, and sore while increasing the length of your training sessions from 1-2 hours up to 3-4 hours?

cause its an awesome feeling...

I dunno. Interesting question. I suppose in my limited experience in equipment...shirted bench...i tried it as i was told it would have a carry over to my raw lifts...I was 100% against equipment back in those days...once i got into it my opinions changed. Lifting in gear is very technical and I had a new found respect for the guys that lift in it.

Because it's SO much fun. Seriously, I don't think it's something you can describe. It's like the whole CF thing of when someone asks what Crossfit is, the easiest way is to show em, similarly w/ equipped lifting the only way to know the attraction is to experience it.

The technical component is another thing that can't be explained. It's SO much more technical than raw lifting, on a different planet like. A good equipped lift is almost like a snatch, you don't "feel" anything. You just do it right, and it works!!

I'm writing an equipment in PL post for my blog that I'm gonna put the text of here too and i'll expand then.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I was just trying to come up with a thought provoking question.
    Looking forward to readin the full text Hanley.

I'll bring my blast shirt on Sat to the beers training session and might lash it on

I'll bring my blast shirt on Sat to the beers training session and might lash it on

I left the F6 back in limerick...

anyone got a shirt i can fit into?

actually no screw that...i dont want to get hooked again.

Because it's SO much fun. Seriously, I don't think it's something you can describe. It's like the whole CF thing of when someone asks what Crossfit is, the easiest way is to show em, similarly w/ equipped lifting the only way to know the attraction is to experience it.

The technical component is another thing that can't be explained. It's SO much more technical than raw lifting, on a different planet like. A good equipped lift is almost like a snatch, you don't "feel" anything. You just do it right, and it works!!

I'm writing an equipment in PL post for my blog that I'm gonna put the text of here too and i'll expand then.

It is fun. But you need a good crew to train with you to make it fun.

Tbh that blast shirt isn't even remotely representative of equipped lifting. I'll bring along my Super Katana and F6 and people can play around and exp it.

Tbh that blast shirt isn't even remotely representative of equipped lifting. I'll bring along my Super Katana and F6 and people can play around and exp it.

Yeah, i'd be aware of that. It's just a very basic, entry level, beginner shirt.

Christ...here have an introduction to equipped lifting in a Super Katana :P

In my opinion your better off getting a training shirt first. I started in a lose F6.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

I really want to begin equipped lifting. There's just something about it, holding huge tonnes, the technique, the training.

I'll bring my single ply metal bash shirt and do some benching before my floor presses on Sat, if coach (Hanley) allows it! Haha

Hope Hanley starts equipped lifting again but multi ply as I wanna play.

You'd def need dedicated partners and I don't see that many out there that would lift equipped.

Da Za wrote: »
    I really want to begin equipped lifting. There's just something about it, holding huge tonnes, the technique, the training.

I'll bring my single ply metal bash shirt and do some benching before my floor presses on Sat, if coach (Hanley) allows it! Haha

Hope Hanley starts equipped lifting again but multi ply as I wanna play.

You'd def need dedicated partners and I don't see that many out there that would lift equipped.

they are there but you would have to travel for them.

and Hanley wont go back

they are there but you would have to travel for them.

and Hanley wont go back

Distance and travelling won't stop me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Da Za wrote: »

-.-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

My girlfriend is planning on buying me some PL gear for Christmas. Belt is on the list... What else do I need!?

My girlfriend is planning on buying me some PL gear for Christmas. Belt is on the list... What else do I need!?

When in doubt get gear

lifting raw i take it?

singlet ( although not important for first comp)
    wrist straps
    chalk
    angry music..rap if american :p
    shoes..if she really loves you. These aren't important...i lift in cons...but some of the more fancier lads have olympic lifting shoes.

As for the belt....what type? I need a new one...i was thinking of a lever one.

The best purchase I've made thus far is my metal squat shoes. They're sick. Great for squatting and pulling. They're fairly expensive but I've nearly had mine for 2 years and they're still in decent condition.

Get some decent wrist wraps and knee wraps.

Tbh you're probably better off getting a singlet early on instead of worrying about it at later date.

Drift I'm looking into getting a new belt as well, where and what type you thinking?

Hanley, in your opinion what's the best type of belt to get?

im prob going to go lever belt lad...i dont think the make ones with buckles small enough to fit me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Cheers lads! Reckon I'll put all those things on the list except for the shoes. I'll keep that for a time when I'm more deserving! What's a lever belt?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭COH

Toro Power Belt (single prong) for me, Not a fan of lever belts because I use the same belt for squats and deads, and prefer to have it looser on deads. No need for it to be broken in either the material is very comfortable out of the packet, I bought mine 2 years ago now and its still perfect.

Shoes are a great investment if you'r bird likes you enough to fork out 100+ euro, I got the power perfects for 105 and love them. Lifted in adistars before and dont notice much difference in feel.

You don squat in knee wraps, so you dont really need a pair! wrist wraps on the other hand are a great investment. I'll bring 5 pairs into raw tomorrow so you can guage for yourself how long and stiff you like it... I'm pretty sure you like it as long and stiff as possible though :D

A light 41inch band is a good piece of kit for warming up/mobility/stability... as is a foam roller, the former can be bought on the quays and the latter in physioneeds

Aches and pain-wise theres always the option of knee/elbow sleeves? From neoprene ones that give no rebound (TK Bands, Rehbands) to heavy ones akin to wearing cheap knee wraps.

But lets be honest, all you really need is cargo pants and a 'I owe you one giant cake' card

oj jayusu rehbands... get rehbands...im wearing mine...in work...right now...there great...

* may not actually be wearing them now

Lever belt closes using a lever instead of a buckle.
    That's the main difference.

Just been looking at the site. $28 for shipping on a 168 order. Happy days.
    Looking at a belt myself but there's no single prong toro 10mm belt, only 13mm which is a but thick.

Rumble roller is $69 on lifting large & €74 on physiosupplies.ie

• Advertisement

oj jayusu rehbands... get rehbands...im wearing mine...in work...right now...there great...

* may not actually be wearing them now

I love them. Have large & medium knee sleeves & large elbow sleeves.

Advertisement