Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerlifting Questions Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Thanks for that, will give it a go this week:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will give it a go this week:)

Cool. Let us know how it goes.

I asked aobut weight because working up in percentages tends to be a pain in the ass and is largely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

We demand a progress report!!

Haha ok, It'll be wednesday at the earliest.

So that's just 2 sleepless nights for you:D

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Haha ok, It'll be wednesday at the earliest.

So that's just 2 sleepless nights for you:D

Sleep if for the weak....i recover while benching...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ironside just posted this on their facebook:
    NOTICE - Sami Dowling/ECB is putting in an order for Adidas Power Perfect II Olympic lifting shoes for €105 which is the cheapest price in Ireland for these shoes. Offer open anyone but money needs to be with Sami by close of business on Friday. Email if you have any questions.

Should I buy?

Hanley wrote: »
    Cool. Let us know how it goes.

I asked aobut weight because working up in percentages tends to be a pain in the ass and is largely pointless.

Ended up getting the 140kg without much hassle, threw on another 10kg and it was a no go. I was grinding away at it but it was just out of reach. Might have gotten the 145kg but I was reasonably happy with the 140. I'll throw up a vid in my log in a bit, thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

Where's your blog located Hanley?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Where's your blog located Hanley?

www.jameshanley.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭chadmustang

fancy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

I'm turning 30 at the end of May. I only started strength training properly around May 2011 doing Rippetoes Starting Strength and probably going to keep at it until I feel I've really stalled before looking at more advanced programmes.

So lets say I hypothetically dont suffer any major injuries in the meantime and I stay dedicated, what age can I expect to be able to keep getting stronger on the lifts involved in Rippetoes programme? I presume 35 or 40 is when it all goes pear shaped but I've no idea really?

Just to give you an idea of progress since I started:
    DL: 100kg x 5 --> 170kg x 5
    SQ: 70kg x 5 --> 130kg x 3
    BP: 60kg x 5 --> 100kg x 3
    OP: 40kg x 5 --> 65kg x 5
    PC: 50kg x 3 --> 65kg x 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I remember watching a video with louie simmons i think it was and he was talking about how most powerlifters wont peak until their 40s. Obviously he means people who have been training for most of their adult life in some form. If you only started training quite recently and have no real history of strength training then you could potentially see gains for quite some time yet. How long would depend how well you look after your body really.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭zebrafumbler

I've been lifting for a few years now and have made some decent muscle and strength gains. My training style is bodybuilding(Going to failure) with a hint of powerlifting(To test strength, every so often). The strength side of training has always interested me, but I don't really know to much about training strategy, rep range, volume. I know it involves more volume with less repetitions, but I don't know much about the specifics. I have had trouble finding consistent, reliable info on the net about it, so just wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction, or give me some info. Thanks. By the way, I'm no novice, I can deadlift 1 rep max of 210kg @85kg. Just want to learn how to train exclusively for strength as opposed to muscle building.

I won't answer directly, but I sent this to someone yesterday about how I'd set up a PL template...

D1)
    Bench
    Board press (tris)
    Upper back
    Lats
    Biceps

D2)
    Speed pull
    Squat hard
    Hamstrings
    Core

D3)
    Lighter bench
    DB press/incline
    Upper back
    Lats
    Bi/tri

D4)
    Light squat
    Heavy DL
    Hamstrings
    Core
    Grip maybe

Basically;
    A) explosive lift and main lift
    B) something that directly builds main lift
    C) assistance exercise 
    D) assistance exercise
    E) vanity

Re: progression;
    -coming up to a comp, weight goes up, volume goes down

-as a lead in to that you gradually build volume

-before that, you work on specific weak points or areas that need improvement

-each phase last 4-6 weeks, an then it repeats to run into 3x comps a year or so

Keep in mind that's all extremely general and was sent as part of a larger discussion but is a decent general overview :)

Thanks very much for the template Hanley, I appreciate it. It's a completely different training philosophy. I was just wondering as far as volume and repetition go, how much is to much, and how much is not enough. With bodybuilding it's pretty straight forward, you go to failure, job done. 3 work sets on most(but not all)of the compound exercises does the job for me. Also should plenty of rest and recovery be scheduled in between workouts. After a back workout with deadlifts, I usually take 2 days off. Just looking for a bit more on the specifics. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Da Za

Thanks very much for the template Hanley, I appreciate it. It's a completely different training philosophy. I was just wondering as far as volume and repetition go, how much is to much, and how much is not enough. With bodybuilding it's pretty straight forward, you go to failure, job done. 3 work sets on most(but not all)of the compound exercises does the job for me. Also should plenty of rest and recovery be scheduled in between workouts. After a back workout with deadlifts, I usually take 2 days off. Just looking for a bit more on the specifics. Thanks.

I'll chime in a little here...........

For the assistance stuff you could go with a tonne of reps schemes - 3 x 10, 3 x 12, 5 x 10 etc with 90s -2min rest

For main lifts it depends on your rep scheme/weights for the day.....when at top sets I generally go again when I feel ready. (could be as long as 10mins)

With that template you could go Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Da Za wrote: »
    I'll chime in a little here...........

For the assistance stuff you could go with a tonne of reps schemes - 3 x 10, 3 x 12, 5 x 10 etc with 90s -2min rest

For main lifts it depends on your rep scheme/weights for the day.....when at top sets I generally go again when I feel ready. (could be as long as 10mins)

With that template you could go Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Thats what I want to know, what is the rep scheme powerlifters use. I know they use cycles, so it's not always the same. I have heard Dave Tate saying you should never pull max effort lifts more than once every 6 weeks. So for example should I train at 90% and if so should I push it for as many reps as I can at 90% or just stick to a set amount of reps? For example:
    The last time I maxed out on the deadlift I pulled
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 3
    180kg x 1
    200kg x1
    210kg x 1 Max effort
    210kg x 1 max effort
    200kg x 1 Felt extremely heavy
    I had already done 4 sets of chins and 4 sets of bent over rows, I know powerlifting would require me to start with deads.

Was this to much, was it not enough?? My max on the deadlift is 210kg @83-85kg bodyweight.

Thats what I want to know, what is the rep scheme powerlifters use. I know they use cycles, so it's not always the same. I have heard Dave Tate saying you should never pull max effort lifts more than once every 6 weeks. So for example should I train at 90% and if so should I push it for as many reps as I can at 90% or just stick to a set amount of reps? For example:
    The last time I maxed out on the deadlift I pulled
    100kg x 5
    140kg x 3
    180kg x 1
    200kg x1
    210kg x 1 Max effort
    210kg x 1 max effort
    200kg x 1 Felt extremely heavy
    I had already done 4 sets of chins and 4 sets of bent over rows, I know powerlifting would require me to start with deads.

Was this to much, was it not enough?? My max on the deadlift is 210kg @83-85kg bodyweight.

What is the rep scheme? It depends. There’s no set method. There’\s two ends of the spectrum:
    1) Linear periodisation - increasing weights week on week while decreasing reps ( 3x12, 4x10, 5x8, 5x5, 5x3, 3x3, 1x2-3 over a 6-7 week period)
    2) Conjugate/Westside method - max effort days always stay in the 90ish% range, but instead of varying reps you vary exercises

Essentially the take away point is that you can’t progress each week working on the same exercises at near max weights - you need to change the reps or the exercise itself to allow for progression.

As for your too much/not enough question. There’s no way to answer that without considering your entire training program and training exp. If that was an isolated max effort day as part of a larger training cycle where you didn’t repeat the same lift more than 2x in a 6-8 week period, it would seem ok. Generally you want 3-5 reps above 90% on any given training day with Westside/ME/conjugate stuff.

Thanks for the info Hanley, I appreciate it. I am going to start the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine tomorrow, minus all the assistance stuff. I am going to add my own assistance program, there is far to much lower back work in the original program imo. I actually came across some posts of yours on T-Nation. How did the program go for you, and what do you think about axing the assistance stuff?

Thanks for the info Hanley, I appreciate it. I am going to start the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine tomorrow, minus all the assistance stuff. I am going to add my own assistance program, there is far to much lower back work in the original program imo. I actually came across some posts of yours on T-Nation. How did the program go for you, and what do you think about axing the assistance stuff?

Worst decision possible. The assistance stuff makes the cycle. Don't even bother doing it without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭COH

Hanley wrote: »
    Worst decision possible. The assistance stuff makes the cycle. Don't even bother doing it without.

+1000000000000

Time has come for me to get a belt. Can anyone recommend a site with delivery charges that won't molest my wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Time has come for me to get a belt. Can anyone recommend a site with delivery charges that won't molest my wallet?

www.liftinglarge.com

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

If I'm remembering right, I put 190kg into Coan Phillipi and got 220kg at the end without doing a lot/most of the assistance. Never did the powershrugs, lat pulldowns or good-mornings. Did the rows and stiff leg DLs most of the time but not at particularly big weights.

Of course I don't see why not just do it anyway, maybe I'd have finished a bit stronger.

Right then, assistance work as well. If your back is feeling fatigued after all the deads and sldl's is it alright to do dumbbell rows instead of barbell rows? Surely minor detail like that is alright? Also should I be going to failure with the 8 reps on the assistance stuff?

Right then, assistance work as well. If your back is feeling fatigued after all the deads and sldl's is it alright to do dumbbell rows instead of barbell rows? Surely minor detail like that is alright? Also should I be going to failure with the 8 reps on the assistance stuff?

1) it's there for a reason
    2) YNDTP
    3) No, keep it moderate

Good points. I'll stick to the program as it is so. I'm able to pull 210kg now, I'm aiming for 227kg. How did the program work for you, did you hit your desired target?

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Royaled

Does anyone know where in Dublin you could get a singlet please?

Cheers!

Advertisement