Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

johnos1984 wrote: »
    It has a poor reputation according to people on boards..........

I'd be more concerned about potential big end failure due to blocked pick ups than the DMF water stuff contaminating the oil, if you do buy one I'd have the pick up checked / cleaned every 2nd or 3rd service and straight away after buying regardless of what warranty comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

2l....not sure of the exact power, I think about 140hp?

Audi will be a 2l 140hp model

Fine looking motor. There's one in our fleet and it's main driver never leaves it alone so never had to chance to take her for a spin.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just got breathalysed...fun times.

Did you pass though Alan?

They're all over Dublin like a bloody plague. It's making for an annoying commute. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about potential big end failure due to blocked pick ups than the DMF water stuff contaminating the oil, if you do buy one I'd have the pick up checked / cleaned every 2nd or 3rd service and straight away after buying regardless of what warranty comes with it.
    The servicing doesn't bother me too much and I'm not afriad to lift the bonnet every couple of days to check levels. In fact I enjoy it........cause I'm a nerd :o

• Advertisement

MugMugs wrote: »
    Did you pass though Alan?

They're all over Dublin like a bloody plague. It's making for an annoying commute. :(

nah sure I was locked...posting this from my cell.

.posting this from my cell.
    Say hello to Steve for me.........I'll tell him to be gentle.

The safety word is 'Megane' on account he likes big asses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You should buy that Mazda , dump your gf and then put an ad on the dating section of your local paper looking for a bunny boiler...:)

The 2 litre seems to be a mInefield alright. In saying that the 2.2 is pretty similar but the usual 2 litre problems seem to be ironed out.

For your budget John you'd get a 2.2 easily enough rather than taking a risk with the 2 litre. I know you can take action to avoid the problems but that doesn't mean the previous owner was so careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

There was a checkpoint for discs in Athlone this morning, too. Looks like it's going to be a very busy week for them.

/M

The servicing doesn't bother me too much and I'm not afriad to lift the bonnet every couple of days to check levels. In fact I enjoy it........cause I'm a nerd :o

The fear would be some damage is done when you buy it :)
    Unlikely if it's a fresh one, it's a sump off job to clean the pick up.

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    There was a checkpoint for discs in Athlone this morning, too. Looks like it's going to be a very busy week for them.

/M

I was stopped in Wexford yesterday. He didn't mention anything about my insurance disk showing a different reg to the car though.

EPM wrote: »
    I was stopped in Wexford yesterday. He didn't mention anything about my insurance disk showing a different reg to the car though.

Probably just checked the date

No attention to details lately! Terrible form!

I passed the NCT Friday with a broken Indicator lens ! :D

/M

Was a checkpoint on my early morning travels too this morning, on a slip road on to a dual carriageway, regular enough spot at the end of the month.

Probably just checked the date

Took him a good 20 seconds to do that though!

Have you a link to the 6 you're looking at?

Have you a link to the 6 you're looking at?
    Afraid not.

Not sure if motors regulars will approve of my shopping methods.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Where was the checkpoint?

They rarely check those details. Just glance the dates. My insurance disc doesn't have reg on it at all due to the type insurance I'm on.
    Was a checkpoint on my early morning travels too this morning, on a slip road on to a dual carriageway, regular enough spot at the end of the month.

Down towards Kilmartins filling station ? That's the spot. Didn't see them there before. Quite a few cars pulled out today.

/M

Afraid not.

Not sure if motors regulars will approve of my shopping methods.....

Pay now and hope its alright when it arrives?

Down towards Kilmartins filling station ? That's the spot. Didn't see them there before. Quite a few cars pulled out today.

/M

Nope, just off Casey's Cross in Cork :)
    Stone's throw from Togher Garda station (if you watch RTE news a lot you'll have heard it that Garda Station mentioned frequently).

• Advertisement

Stone's throw from Togher Garda station (if you watch RTE news a lot you'll have heard it that Garda Station mentioned frequently).

Ah. We're talking about different places here :) I was talking about Athlone :D

/M

You can get a great deal if you western union the money over to spain where the owner just can't adjust to RHD and will ship it straight back to you !

BDJW wrote: »
    Where was the checkpoint?

Grange road, up Marlay park direction.

I gave my mechanic a budget plus the trade in of my own car.

Told him an A4 or 6 with a decent spec, low miles, clean history and full service history. After that it's up to him to find a decent one. In fairness the guy is as honest as the day is long and he isn't know for screwing people over.

If I don't want the car when it arrives he'll just sell it himself and won't be out of pocket so no pressure to buy if I don't like it. Plus he knows what I like, how I drive and what type of driving I do so no bullshyte tell me a 1.6HDI is great for a motorway driver.

In fairness he viewed three A4's last week and turned them down straight away. Two clocked (one shamelessly) and one previously crashed. In other words.....he can be trusted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Grange road, up Marlay park direction.

I lived close to there up until 2 years ago, and would still be up that direction a fair bit, and i've only ever seen one checkpoint up there, but it is a sensible place to catch people

I gave my mechanic a budget plus the trade in of my own car.

Told him an A4 or 6 with a decent spec, low miles, clean history and full service history. After that it's up to him to find a decent one. In fairness the guy is as honest as the day is long and he isn't know for screwing people over.

If I don't want the car when it arrives he'll just sell it himself and won't be out of pocket so no pressure to buy if I don't like it. Plus he knows what I like, how I drive and what type of driving I do so no bullshyte tell me a 1.6HDI is great for a motorway driver.

In fairness he viewed three A4's last week and turned them down straight away. Two clocked (one shamelessly) and one previously crashed. In other words.....he can be trusted :)

That sounds like a fair enuff deal. I'd just love the car hunt myself, but not everyone wants that or has the time, so if you have somebody you can trust in that sense, it should all be good.

Plus it's him that has to fix crap afterwards, so it better be a good one.

/M

Not saying he's not trustworthy but isn't him finding a potential dog lucrative to him in the long run? He didn't find your current "peoples car" by any.chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is that the slip road onto the magic rbout direction before the bridge?

Not saying he's not trustworthy but isn't him finding a potential dog lucrative to him in the long run?
    Yes and no.

I bought my current dog from him yes, but he has given me discounted parts, half price labour etc to make up for it and even on Christmas eve he was out to the house to take it to the garage and a replacement car was given to me on the spot. He has squeezed me in at short notice too. You wouldn't get that at a main dealer ;)

TBH he doesn't want the hassle and is more than busy enough than making a quick buck off me.

I've never heard a bad word said about the quality of his work. If I find a suitable car at a garage he is also happy enough to negotiate on my behalf or get a trade sale from the garage and pass on the discount to me and still buy my car at an agreed value.

I know it may seem a bit strange to some people but I do trust him (mind you he trusts no one in the motortrade :D).....but I'll still carry out checks on the car myself. The last thing he wants is a pissed off customer coming back and like me, he is as picky as fook.

TBH the problems with my car have been mostly common faults, the injectors could be fuel related or just bad luck. I've just had a bad run of it lately (not forgetting my MGF over Christmas too) and gotten tired of it costing me money. And it's a case of I asked him to do the leg work so there has been no pressure from his end.

It's difficult to find an honest mechanic who you can trust but worth hanging on to one if you do :)

• Advertisement

It's difficult to find an honest mechanic who you can trust but worth hanging on to one if you do :)

+1 on that. And it means for him, that he has a solid customer base.

I have somebody just like that for the BMWs and I drive long distance to get the work done.

I haven't yet found somebody as reliable for the VAG stuff.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement