Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Oh they went K24 too, and ended up back at a K20 :)
    Ah FFS. Cams and gears then? An intake manifold? Can I get high compression pistons without going oversize?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,958 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's no replacement for displacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Anyone who's played Gran Turismo knows you're better off starting with an Evo than a Trueno! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just to make it clear, I have nothing against people adding parts to cars, nor is a boring life my thing Gary. I did own an RX8, nothing boring about that when it comes to getting it running right :P

I get my thrills from driving the car, not by having it up on a lift. With that said, my car has been on axle stands all day because I got sick to the teeth of seeing rust all over the calipers!

I don't have any before pics because I just wanted to get the job done before it started raining (which thankfully it didn't), but here's one after pic of the nearside front:

photo12yu.jpg

I didn't bother taking out the pads, just did them in place. I did get a bit of paint on the backing pad but this will be sorted once the paint dries thoroughly and I can get the calipers off and on without destroying the paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Couldn't be arsed starting a new thread for this, so opinions please. Have to book the NCT soon, and the bulb out warning is on the dash. Basically I put LED's in the front fogs, and had to put load resistors on as well to defeat the CANBUS. But the resistors seem to have stopped working.

After all that, if all the lights are working, will the fact that a bulb out warning on the dash mean a fail?

Opinions please.

• Advertisement

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    A lot to be said for that IMO. If buying a car for track days I would more likely buy a Supra than an Integra for example. And if you want to tune it you're going to get lots, lots more out of it.

... wouldn't a supra be a bit of a pig around track though compared to an integra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Couldn't be arsed starting a new thread for this, so opinions please. Have to book the NCT soon, and the bulb out warning is on the dash. Basically I put LED's in the front fogs, and had to put load resistors on as well to defeat the CANBUS. But the resistors seem to have stopped working.

After all that, if all the lights are working, will the fact that a bulb out warning on the dash mean a fail?

Opinions please.

It's a two minute job swapping them on the octy. Why bother risking it?

I bought the ones with resistors and they still gave the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Opinions please.

What type car ? On the BMW's for example you can program the LKM (Light Control Module) to disable tests for some.

Also, you only get failed on red lights on the dash. Not yellow ones.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

RoverJames wrote: »
    ... wouldn't a supra be a bit of a pig around track though compared to an integra.

Integra would be better all around for track day and it wont steal your piggy bank.

Though I still would take mx5 as a track car! :)

RoverJames wrote: »

Maybe so but it would probably make up for it on the straights! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Very true it's only a two minute job. I never use the feckin things anyway, but I suppose I might as well just change them. Suppose I was just feeling lazy really.

Integra would be better all around for track day and it wont steal your piggy bank.

Though I still would take mx5 as a track car! :)

Integra is FWD, Supra and MX-5 are RWD.

There's a huge difference in regards to preferences and tuning potential, disregardless of engine size.

I'd always go for RWD or AWD for track use. But that's my opinion.

/M

Marlow wrote: »

There's a huge difference in regards to preferences and tuning potential, disregardless of engine size.

/M

I never liked the power delivery in any half decent FWD car I have driven. RWD or AWD for me too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

/M

I never liked the power delivery in any half decent FWD car I have driven. RWD or AWD for me too! :)

For track use I'd use fwd myself for corners and the likes.

Unless there were quite a few straights then yes rwd or awd.

In other news / I've decieded to follow in the foot steps off BDJW in his lovely DIY job on his civic changing the head unit from the Honda stero to a screen such as pioneer.

I hope itll work out grand for me. Going to get one with DVD, sat nav, USB port blah blah blah as cheap as possible ! :pac:

robbie_998 wrote: »
    For track use I'd use fwd myself for corners and the likes.

Unless there were quite a few straights then yes rwd or awd.

Try pushing 400 bhp out through FWD ... NOT !! . Have you every tried driving a 305 bhp Ford Focus RS ?

Once you hit a certain amount of power in a FWD car, torque-steer becomes a problem. Same story as with not being able to get the power on the ground.

With RWD you don't have that problem, as your steering wheels are different from your driving wheels.

RWD (and AWD) has nothing to do with going in a straight line. Sure, FWD is easier, but easy is not the point with track driving.

/M

I find VAG's the worst culprit, 1.8T's and even 1.4fsi hop all over the road when you put the foot down on the road, never mind on a track.

Just to add: for having fun on track, you don't need 5 million horse power.

That's why I would go for mx5.

Cheap and very cheap to run.
    Very reliable when it goes to sports cars.
    RWD in light body and not stupidly powerfull engine.

What I am saying: it's a nice balance for average Joe.

My very good friend has a 320hp glanza and the fecking things is a monster on straight line. Thought even with sliks he has huge amount of wheel spin and torque steer. Sick car though.

That's also the reason, why the MX-5 is quite popular as a track-tool.

Some people want more as they master that one though or start from a complete different angle. So it doesn't suit everybody.
    My very good friend has a 320hp glanza and the fecking things is a monster on straight line. Thought even with sliks he has huge amount of wheel spin and torque steer. Sick car though.

And if you crash it with that sort of torque, power and the speed that comes with that, it's not the safest place to be.

Also, it proves my point, that there is limits to FWD. A LSD could help, but that'll only get you so far further.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I find VAG's the worst culprit, 1.8T's and even 1.4fsi hop all over the road when you put the foot down on the road, never mind on a track.

Ah ya can't compare a VAG 1.8T to an Integra which is said to be the best handling FWD car of all time! A lot of the VAG stuff that had the 1.8T didn't even have independent rear suspension!

The Integra is a very balanced car around the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Johntegr

Just to add: for having fun on track, you don't need 5 million horse power.

This is what happened the Turbo teg at Mondello when he tried to catch me. Yeh he had coilovers, decent tyres etc but the minute he tried to power out of corners, good luck. Torque steer & under steered like a hoor.

Then when finally outta the corner he'd floor it out of frustration and there'd be no grip and he'd just spin and going nowhere

Whereas my power delivery was nice and smooth out of the corners and straight lines and I'd nice tyres and brakes so could brake later and turn in harder (when I had the tyres properly heated).

• Advertisement

Ah ya can't compare a VAG 1.8T to an Integra which is said to be the best handling FWD car of all time! A lot of the VAG stuff that had the 1.8T didn't even have independent rear suspension!

That's because the Teg was intended as a sports car. None of the VAG stuff really is. Well, the stuff that would be is actually automatically Syncro/Quattro/4-Motion.

And in the newer stuff of those then you always end up with a ****ty, soft, no-good tiptronic gearbox, that has design flaws, because they designed it together with Renault.

/M

That's also the reason, why the MX-5 is quite popular as a track-tool.

Some people want more as they master that one though or start from a complete different angle. So it doesn't suit everybody.

And if you crash it with that sort of torque, power and the speed that comes with that, it's not the safest place to be.

Also, it proves my point, that there is limits to FWD. A LSD could help, but that'll only get you so far further.

/M

If you are a newbie track day boy then why would you spend way more then something simple?! You might crash it as a newbie or find out its not for you
    Same as learner driver - first purchase must be cheap and simple.
    As you said mx5 is a very popular track day choice, and there is a good few reasons why. Cheap amd very well balanced car worh amazing handling. And if you do get a power bug it has a very good reputation as a turbo, supercharger or v8 convertion. Unfortunately it is not that popular in Ireland :(

Not doubting ya dude!

That's why I said 'I find VAG's the worst culprit'! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you are a newbie track day boy then why would you spend way more then something simple?! You might crash it as a newbie or find out its not for you
    Same as learner driver - first purchase must be cheap and simple.
    As you said mx5 is a very popular track day choice, and there is a good few reasons why. Cheap amd very well balanced car worh amazing handling. And if you do get a power bug it has a very good reputation as a turbo, supercharger or v8 convertion. Unfortunately it is not that popular in Ireland :(

A V8 conversion in an MX5?! That's madness! The car would more than likely be very front heavy wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

..not a great weekend :(

MR2 overheating as I arrived into Galway city, steam from the back. Pulled over and left it to cool.

Checked and no coolant in the system. Got new rad cap and 5 litres of coolant.

Feckin radiator appears to be either cracked or has a hole in it as the coolant is pissing out of it when the car isn't even switched on :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

New TopGear starting shortly, heres hoping it's a good one.

Unfortunately it is not that popular in Ireland :(

The MX-5 is very popular in Ireland. Have a look around. I meet quite a few of them around the place.

At least in comparison to what other convertibles there are around.

That said, convertibles are not very popular in Ireland and there's a good reason for that.

There's a difference, what average Joe buys and what car enthusiast buy. There are plenty of MX-5 around. Just look around yourself. But those who have them, tend to hold on to them, so they are not on the market for sale, if that is, what you mean.

/M

A V8 conversion in an MX5?! That's madness! The car would more than likely be very front heavy wouldn't it?

There is Tom of them in USA. You know, they don't have "big penis size" tax :D

Marlow:

I mean that mx5 is not popular with car enthusiast, people with track cars and moders.

I own mx5 myself and it is fantastic car. I did a lot of reaserch on these cars amd they really don't get enough attention as they deserve. Unfortunately people stil see them as a very girly cars. I might look funny iny one ( male, huge beard, big fella ), but when you know what you drive it makes it most awesome drive, every time! :)

I remember I was pulling out from home and to my total surprise there was another mx5 10 anniversary edition. A carbon copy of my one! :D a fella was driving it amd we both were so shocked! Both waved to each other. These are getting really more popular these days, i totally agree on this with you.

I still would take mx5 on the track over Any car ;)

I still would take mx5 on the track over Any car ;)

See. This is actually where the whole problem lies. You're very much focused on the MX-5.

I think the fun about trackdays over here is, that they are hugely diverse. There is no car, that dominates the trackdays.

You'll find Civics, Integras, WRX, M3's, M5's, the odd Omega, a Holden UTE, Honda S2k's, various Seven's, Skylines, Silvias, Truenos, Golfs, Porsches, Ferraris, Loti, Lancers, Alfas.

Anything and everything. There might be 2-4 cars of a kind on the track, but overall, the trackdays are always an interesting mix.

Not only that, by getting passenger laps in the other drivers cars, you get an idea of other things, you might want to try.

That's the same you see at the Cars and Coffee meets. A huge diverse selection of things.

How boring would it be, if everyone drives a MX-5 ?

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Quazzie wrote: »
    Where do you live?

When I wrote that I was in Wicklow, on a mountain. I woke up at 6 am to a foggy and snowy Kilbride... I was very cold for most of today! :mad:

Sitting back in my house now, at last :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement