Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

New TopGear starting shortly, heres hoping it's a good one.

Whens that starting?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can anyone with any car take part in a track day or am I being naive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

All ill say is Port tunnel 8k Revs roof down, best €3 ever. BTW what happened at the rallycross ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Stheno wrote: »
    Can anyone with any car take part in a track day or am I being naive?

Yes. Most trackdays require that you have a driver license. I think it doesn't matter if it's suspended (as it's on a track), a car and a helmet.

Some trackdays require club membership or have other limitation for participation.

And then there's the fee for taking part.

That's it. Obey the rules as pointed out initially and you'll be grand.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Yes. Most trackdays require that you have a driver license. I think it doesn't matter if it's suspended (as it's on a track), a car and a helmet.

Some trackdays require club membership or have other limitation for participation.

And then there's the fee for taking part.

That's it. Obey the rules as pointed out initially and you'll be grand.

/M
    M

If you crash does your insurence cover you? Im guessing not.

• Advertisement

M

If you crash does your insurence cover you? Im guessing not.

No. You have no insurance. Everyone has to pay for the damage to their own car.

However, there are insurances, that will cover you on trackdays, that you can sign up for specific for trackdays.

/M

No. You have no insurance. Everyone has to pay for the damage to their own car.

However, there are insurances, that will cover you on trackdays, that you can sign up for specific for trackdays.

/M

Ah right cheers. So you would be as well to buy a car just for track days. Then using you daily driver.

Ah right cheers. So you would be as well to buy a car just for track days. Then using you daily driver.

It really depends. If you just want to try it once or so, go to one of the trackdays. Maybe as a guest first, so you can see, what it is about.

Take your daily out, sure.

But be prepared to find any weakness the car has during the trackday. If the car isn't 100% in order, the things that are bound to go bust are going to go bust, as you put 10 times the strain on the car, than you'd do usually.

Most trackdays are very civilized and good fun.

If you do regular trackdays, a car for these might be an advantage.

It's not crashing, that is the issue. It''s wear and tear, tyres, brakes, bushings etc.

/M

It really depends. If you just want to try it once or so, go to one of the trackdays. Maybe as a guest first, so you can see, what it is about.

Take your daily out, sure.

But be prepared to find any weakness the car has during the trackday. If the car isn't 100% in order, the things that are bound to go bust are going to go bust, as you put 10 times the strain on the car, than you'd do usually.

Most trackdays are very civilized and good fun.

If you do regular trackdays, a car for these might be an advantage.

It's not crashing, that is the issue. It''s wear and tear, tyres, brakes, bushings etc.

/M

I have to get my first car yet and Il see after that. ;)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Well I`d disagree, public track-days are a free for all and you will see some of the stupidest driving this side of the M50. If you going to a track day bring somebody along that knows what they are doing. As for using your road car just remember if you bin it then your screwed. If you not trying to be hero and take your time to learn then you will be ok.

After the drift days were introduced, especially during the winter period, the open/public trackdays have been very civilized. The tossers went to the drift days instead :)

I haven't driven at any, but I've been out to 3 of them this winter, also taken pax laps and there was maybe 1 or 2 drivers, that out of place at the most.

I agree on the thing, that you should bring somebody with you, that has done it before or as I already said in my post, come to one as a guest first, take a pax lap or two and see, what goes on.

If you bring your car the first time, grab somebody experienced and let them show you the ropes.

trackday.ie is brilliant, because the guy that runs them organises tuition from professional race drivers, if you want it, as part of the trackday.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Have to say. I'm a complete novice when it comes to track days and so on

I would be afraid to use my own personal car alright unless it was a **** box.

But I'm tempted to try the Mazda 3's at mondello. Looks interesting and good fun if you got a good friendly turn out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Can we rename this thread to " How clino should indicate " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Johntegr wrote: »
    I see it this way. Let's say ya pay for a lady of the night, and halfway through in comes her twin, and she tells ya for an extra €50 ya get the two of them. Nice little surprise, isn't it?
    Twice the chance of picking up something unwanted too though! :D

Ah, I do take your point all right, just it comes with an added risk of an unexpected sting in the ... tail. >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Come on car. You just got me from my house to the m50

Warm up, I'm fecking freezing my bollox off :(

Lovely morning though all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

My boss encourged me to submit my nomination for a Chairmans Award under the category of exceptional customer services for all the work I have done for our top financial advisor in the UK.

Ohhhhh hope I win it now, €1000 to a charity of my choice and a cash prize for me to :cool:

The german car show GRIP did a test of Prius vs. E92 M3.

First test: Prius at full throttle 100 km around a track. The M3 matching it's speed.

Result: Prius used 16.5 liter fuel, M3 used 15 liter of fuel :)

Second test: 100 km at 80 km/h

Result: Prius used 5 liter fuel, M3 used 10.4 liter fuel.

End of story: Who in their right mind would want a Prius ?

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

ON the bus on the way from Wickla to Nenagh to collect a car to keep me motoring for a few weeks. I fooking hate the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

The german car show GRIP did a test of Prius vs. E92

First test: Prius at full throttle 100 km around a track. The M3 matching it's speed.

Result: Prius used 16.5 liter fuel, M3 used 15 liter of fuel :)

Second test: 100 km at 80 km/h

Result: Prius used 5 liter fuel, M3 used 10.4 liter fuel.

End of story: Who in their right mind would want a Prius ?

/M

Didn't Top Gear/Fifth Gear do a test exactly like that a few years ago?

166man wrote: »
    Didn't Top Gear/Fifth Gear do a test exactly like that a few years ago?

Yep. But not as scientific though :) .. TopGear did the sloppy version.

/M

In fairness who buys a Prius and drives flat out.

It's low speed economy that counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

johnos1984 wrote: »
    ON the bus on the way from Wickla to Nenagh to collect a car to keep me motoring for a few weeks. I fooking hate the bus

Do tell.

Jimdagym wrote: »

Do tell.

Nothing special. It's just to keep me moving until something decent comes along. It's Tarazans favourite car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Nothing special. It's just to keep me moving until something decent comes along. It's Tarazans favourite car

Ha. Had to google that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Mazda 323??

Mazda 323??
    Yep! I have the use of it for as long as I want so long as I tax it. Can't complain about that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Too soon to start slagging you over your "peoples car" ?

MugMugs wrote: »
    Too soon to start slagging you over your "peoples car" ?
    My sig says it all so fire away

Well I'm working on a Skoda out living your VW..... Or even an Alfa.... Gis a few and I'll come up with one.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Well I'm working on a Skoda out living your VW..... Or even an Alfa.... Gis a few and I'll come up with one.

An Alfa outliving his VW ... now, that would be a challenge :D:p

Actually, his Phishat might have been assembled by Alfa. That would be the explanation.

/M

• Advertisement

An Alfa outliving his VW ... now, that would be a challenge :D:p

Actually, his Phishat might have been assembled by Alfa. That would be the explanation.

/M

Which brings me back to a photo a buddy of mine put on Facebook last week. Driving to work, got a few beeps from behind. Pulled in, opened the boot and was met with this. He salvaged the car seat, laptop and some Corn Flakes and left his mates model aircraft which he had borrowed in the car. I asked if he could have got closer to that Renault !
    Apologies for the hooooge image
    421495_392609874087886_100000166297872_1745975_99123840_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement