Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Is it only diesel your considering?
    I'm broadening my horizons......I had a Golf MkIV before and always wanted a GTI version. Cheap to buy and therefore the running costs wouldn't be too bad.

I ashamed to say it was my mother who said it to me this evening. While the cash is there to spend I travel a lot over and back to Scotland ever 3 weeks and I don't have a permanent job therefore it may be more fun and sensible for me to spend less and get something I'd like

And before anyone points out the BLEEDING OBVIOUS I have a soft spot for the GTI's, not all VW's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Owen wrote: »
    Missed that thread, don't suppose anyone has a copy they want to PM me?

x2
    as above......
    me too...

Missed that thread, don't suppose anyone has a copy they want to PM me?
    cadaliac wrote: »
    x2
    as above......
    me too...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056569376

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

But that's the thread about the one that disappeared RJ, not the actual one that disappeared?

johnos1984 wrote: »

I ashamed to say it was my mother who said it to me this evening. While the cash is there to spend I travel a lot over and back to Scotland ever 3 weeks and I don't have a permanent job therefore it may be more fun and sensible for me to spend less and get something I'd like............

Your mother is a wise lady John, €13,000 on a Mondeo you'd be sick of after a week or two is looney. The 1.8T in the GTi isn't bad at all fuelwise on a spin, a friend used to knock 40mpg out of a 225bhp TT.

• Advertisement

But that's the thread about the one that disappeared RJ, not the actual one that disappeared?

Apologies, I didn't see the disappeared one.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Your mother is a wise lady John, €13,000 on a Mondeo you'd be sick of after a week or two is looney. The 1.8T in the GTi isn't bad at all fuelwise on a spin, a friend used to knock 40mpg out of a 225bhp TT.
    I thought about it all this evening after talking to her and realised the following:

I hate large loans, especially for cars, which is the way I'd be going
    My contract is up in August and while things are going well I've no guarantee for next year
    I want something some bit entertaining and on the top end of the budget that's not happening

If I spend less and consider a petrol I'll get some fun, well specced low mileage car.

The trade off is lower economy and higher petrol costs........and feck all loan repayments.

Makes sense to me and leaves me free for travelling over to my g/f.

BTW RJ you pointed this out to me about two weeks ago, I'm just not a fan of the DC5 so I dismissed it at the time

............ I'm just not a fan of the DC5 so I dismissed it at the time

DC5s aren't everyone's cup of tea :)
    DC5s are also a good lash of thousands still.

GTi Golf is a good option really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Apologies, I didn't see the disappeared one.

The thread that disappeared was the tame version of the one that's there now.

If you read through that one you'll see that I say I deleted the first "We miss EPM" thread because EPM didn't want a fuss made about it.

GTi Golf is a good option really.
    The search has already begun. I've a thread on VAGDRIVERS and I called about one this evening. sadly it's sold

• Advertisement

......... http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3099890

Full?id=10415690

Golf GTi ish sort of :pac:

I'll keep it in mind!

Getting to Cork is an issue mind you

I'll keep it in mind!

Getting to Cork is an issue mind you

.... that was the first one I saw on DD, I'm sure there'd be similar in Dublin area :)

This is better but a bit more in your face...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3096374

Full-10400196.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

.... that was the first one I saw on DD, I'm sure there'd be similar in Dublin area :)

This is better but a bit more in your face...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3096374

Just saw that on Donedeal too. Nice looking motor, not wild about the white wheels though.

I know the Leon and Golf are the same but I'm just unfamiliar with the Leon. Would it be comfrtable over a long journey?

My slammed Celica was comfy on most roads :)
    Can't see a Leon being too bad, 'twill be firm no doubt but very decent seats in a Cupra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

In fairness though, the Mk4 Golf GTi really is pants.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I know I'll have to defend the Mk IV.

I like them as they have a soft enough ride, well finished, handle well enough, plenty of supply, and have enough oomph to entertain me.

I'm not looking for an out and out sports car. I cover too many miles and it would be back breaking.

Tea 1000 wrote: »

I don't think they are too bad for what they are, the 2.0 one is a disgrace, the 1.8T I think is ok. They are comfy, spacious, not too slow, light on juice, not overly troublesome if not effected by the blocked oil pick ups etc. Not a great car by any stretch of the imagination but they offer decent performance for small money in a package suitable for daily driving. You'll always get rid of a good one again too without losing your arse on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mondeo=size I'm used to
    Alfa=what I would like

I'm working behind the scenes at the minute coming up with a plan to merge both into some sort of "Monfa"

Don't do a James May and stitch together half of each car; pity there isn't a coupe version of the Mondeo the wy there was of the original Sierra.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    .............pity there isn't a coupe version of the Mondeo the wy there was of the original Sierra.

A successor to the Cougar type thing ?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2874291

Might be runner if it was a bit cheaper

I thought about it all this evening after talking to her and realised the following:

I hate large loans, especially for cars, which is the way I'd be going
    My contract is up in August and while things are going well I've no guarantee for next year
    I want something some bit entertaining and on the top end of the budget that's not happening

If I spend less and consider a petrol I'll get some fun, well specced low mileage car.

The trade off is lower economy and higher petrol costs........and feck all loan repayments.

Makes sense to me and leaves me free for travelling over to my g/f.

BTW RJ you pointed this out to me about two weeks ago, I'Hm just not a fan of the DC5 so I dismissed it at the time

to be honest, I can't really square you owning a diesel Passat (definitely daddy's car) with your posts on here. It makes me wonder if you're the type of teacher who the students think is uncool for trying to be cool (despite being closer to their age). :p:p

My suggestion is to get a little pocket rocket as you're not really carrying passengers or baggage.

Ths brings me to a JCW Mini!! Or a Cooper S at least. More smiles per mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My mother is selling her very genuine and pretty much mint Audi TT for that kinda monies!

Her attempt at a donedeal add, very crap.

She wouldn't wait for me to take pics!

My mother is selling her very genuine and pretty much mint Audi TT for that kinda monies!

You have a PM

Marcusm wrote: »
    My suggestion is to get a little pocket rocket as you're not really carrying passengers or baggage.
    My g/f won't let me have a Mini :D

The Passat was my attempt at having a nice car and living within my means. So much for that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I don't think they are too bad for what they are, the 2.0 one is a disgrace, the 1.8T I think is ok. They are comfy, spacious, not too slow, light on juice, not overly troublesome if not effected by the blocked oil pick ups etc. Not a great car by any stretch of the imagination but they offer decent performance for small money in a package suitable for daily driving. You'll always get rid of a good one again too without losing your arse on it :)
    The engine needs watching for the sludge issue, the ride is over-firm over low-speed bumps and too soft in proper corners, the power-delivery is quite diesel like, and they don't handle that nicely at all, with no feedback whatsoever.
    But I guess you're right, they're not too bad considering you might pick one up for f**k all, but I'd only pay f**k all for one. I saw a Leon which had 30 more bhp than the GTI with around 60k miles for sale a few months back for around 3,500. Not a bad price for a fresh car if it turned out to be genuine.
    I really only think the Mk 4 GTI should be praised for it's recaro seats and not much else. A Bravo HGT has a more interesting engine with character, better handling, better looks, and much cheaper! Good luck finding one though.

My g/f won't let me have a Mini :D

The Passat was my attempt at having a nice car and living within my means. So much for that

Seeing as this isthe OT thread, why the feck does she have a veto? Especially as she lives in a different country and you're the one whipped enough to do the travelling. I have a Cooper S (as the alternative to the V8 Range Rover) and love love love it. I'm a big at fecker who's 6'5" and no one going to tell me it's a girls car (if that's her objection)I've driven it over to Ireland a few times from the UK and it's oe a couple of trips up and down to Connemara and Cork and not via motorway either. I defy anyone to tell e that it's not a lad of craic driving it and once you get the run flats off it's comfortable too. if you're thinking of a TT or that 5 door A3, I think you'd be better off testing the Alfa even if it lasted us a week or two.

Spend €8k to import and VRT a UK version and stop fannying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Minis are great, but i could never own one. if i get a wife i will buy one, put it in her name and have the "ah it's the wifes" excuse.

• Advertisement

Marcusm I'm just not a Mini man.

Nothing wrong with them, I've driven them loads and they are a ball of fun but not a car I ever see myself owning

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement