Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

johnos1984 wrote: »

Only issue is I'd be paying by cheque so I need to see if they are happy with that, otherwise it'll have to wait

Most folk wouldn't entertain accepting a cheque, especially on a Saturday.
    Even many retail outlets won't take a cheque now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you one of the hordes of alfisti around Swords?

I merely dropped in to see my parents and ended up being fed then being the fantastic son I am said I'd stay the night.

I can drop over before bed and ridicule your Alfa though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

For some unknown reason I read into the post that you were looking at an alfa, hence my post earlier :)
    I was but I decided I'd be driven around the bend with niggly issues

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nah I've wised up

Tsk now, with your nasty passat experience, you could spawn a whole new world of "alfas are great, vag are built on ****"

Like an alternative universe?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Most folk wouldn't entertain accepting a cheque, especially on a Saturday.
    Even many retail outlets won't take a cheque now.
    I know, I'll see what I can arrange.

As said, it may just have to wait until next week. I'll call and ask them first to be sure :):)

Most people also don't carry 4k in their pocket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

MugMugs wrote: »
    I merely dropped in to see my parents and ended up being fed then being the fantastic son I am said I'd stay the night.

I can drop over before bed and ridicule your Alfa though?

It's too dark for you to shake it and determine if the wishbone is dodgy, and far too dark for you to see the gamy paintwork
    Spare it for a nice shiny day, with clear roads, when you can ridicule it as a whole?

Don't you cover 30k Miles a year John? In a GTI?

johnos1984, brought to you by a GTI.... and a lot of this topaz-logo.jpg

:D

As said, it may just have to wait until next week. I'll call and ask them first to be sure :):)

Most folk will take a deposit?

If buying a car privately for 4k they do :p

I can take you out to Swords from wherever in Dublin you can make midweek next week if needed.
    It's too dark for you to shake it and determine if the wishbone is dodgy, and far too dark for you to see the gamy paintwork
    Spare it for a nice shiny day, with clear roads, when you can ridicule it as a whole?

It's a rain checked Ridicule date so Stheno ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Most folk will take a deposit?

Aye. Worst case, have a few bop in cash as deposit, pay the reminder as cheque. Collect car when cash clears.

That should work most of the time.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    .............. pay the reminder as cheque. Collect car when cash clears. .............

I wouldn't fancy that tbh, if a seller requested that I'd be very wary.

Aye. Worst case, have a few bop in cash as deposit, pay the reminder as cheque. Collect car when cash clears.

Aye that will work alright the only issue is I want to give the Mazda back this weekend if I'm buying another car. It just means I have to wait until next weekend..........which being the weekend it is means I don't want to be arsing about

I could always get the money put into my bank account tomorrow morning too in advance and pay with a bank draft.....not sure if thats any better than a cheque though and the seller will know I want the car then for sure so won't leave me room to bargain

I can take you out to Swords from wherever in Dublin you can make midweek next week if needed.

It's a rain checked Ridicule date so Stheno ! :)

Actually I've thought about it, I can potentially do most evenings most days next week too from D2, if that helps? (It's in the still not in full condition gtv tho!)

I'll make sure that date is after the nct/detailers :D

/M

Yep, worked for me the last two, gave a 20% deposit, got a receipt acknowledging same and a time limit written into the receipt for collection/final payment :)

Don't you cover 30k Miles a year John? In a GTI

I cover about 20k miles yes.

The running costs are a worry tbh.

I'm trying to decide if it's a good/bad idea :)

I reckon 35mpg on the motorway run should be achievable, maybe I'm deluded

You are deluded. Still. A GTI is a nice drive. Maybe you should look for a GTTDI instead :) Then again, the real ones are rare as hens teeth.

Then again, 20k miles is nothing really :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Whats going on in mondello on sunday?

You are deluded.
    :eek:

What is realistic......

I'm getting fooked off with car shopping tbh

Aye that will work alright the only issue is I want to give the Mazda back this weekend if I'm buying another car. It just means I have to wait until next weekend..........which being the weekend it is means I don't want to be arsing about

I could always get the money put into my bank account tomorrow morning too in advance and pay with a bank draft.....not sure if thats any better than a cheque though and the seller will know I want the car then for sure so won't leave me room to bargain

If you are Ulster bank they are open on Saturdays in Swords
    I cover about 20k miles yes.

The running costs are a worry tbh.

I'm trying to decide if it's a good/bad idea :)

:eek:

What is realistic......

I'm getting fooked off with car shopping tbh

My 2 L TS alfa gtv returns 30mpg on a mix of 50% crawling into the city and 50% motorway runs, now I need to change my thermostat, so doing more motorway than city I'd get 35 mpg, but having had mates who had GTIs that couldn't pass a petrol station without a drink, I'd reckon that's optimistic

I'd be happy with 30mpg, but I'd factor in at least a 25% increase in fuel prices in that, and the maintenance with that sort of mileage, on a gtv for example that's spark plugs every two years, the gti will have some sort of equivalent.

Now my car is like my foreign holiday/treat, so I don't mind it having remedial work/getting the bodywork sorted/driving into work when I've a bus pass anyway, but if the extra 40/80 a month makes a difference, then think about it.

I drive into work about half the time (10 days 20 km per trip) during the month, and do two - three long trips (1-200km), and it costs me €100 in petrol approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'm getting around 350 miles out of a full tank in a Mk4 GTi at the minute, that's with a thermostat that needs to be done, and possibly a bursted coil pack.

Mostly motorway driving too.

• Advertisement

If you are Ulster bank they are open on Saturdays in Swords

I sure am, but I'm in Mondello at 12 and not sure how long that takes.

This is possibly gonna just turn into a mess. The way I was looking at it was that it would be a better way to get a nicer car for less. Going for a diesel I feel anything around the 4k mark is going to be well ragged out and I'll just be in the same boat again in a few months.

If I go for a petrol I get a better car, lower mileage and in the case of the car I'm looking at well looked after. To get a decent long term diesel I'll have to spend big bucks which i don't want to do

I'm getting around 350 miles out of a full tank in a Mk4 GTi at the minute, that's with a thermostat that needs to be done, and possibly a bursted coil pack.

Based on my last tank ((50 litres) in the gtv with a busted thermo too, I got 29.8 mgp so perhaps John is not that deluded? I'd expect to see a 6mpg improvement in mine, it's the town driving that murders mine at the minute.

I was pleasantly surprised I have to admit with mine :) averages I saw were 25 mpg!

How big is the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

This is possibly gonna just turn into a mess. The way I was looking at it was that it would be a better way to get a nicer car for less. Going for a diesel I feel anything around the 4k mark is going to be well ragged out and I'll just be in the same boat again in a few months.

If I go for a petrol I get a better car, lower mileage and in the case of the car I'm looking at well looked after. To get a decent long term diesel I'll have to spend big bucks which i don't want to do

Posted in bangernomics. Cant go far wrong with them

BX 19 wrote: »
    Cant go far wrong with them
    Nice car but I just don't want one :)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

20,000 miles at 30MPG is €4823
    20,000 miles at 45MPG is €3215

So thats 1600 euro over a whole year, €4.40 a day, i presume you buy lunch every day? bring a sandwich and get a car you really want!

How big is the tank in those yokes ? I'd nearly do the same in the M5 on a tank, but that's like 70 liters.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

How big is the tank?

Christ, 50/55 litres? Took 80 quid to fill last night, that was with the bingo light on for 20 miles or so.

Christ, 50/55 litres? Took 80 quid to fill last night, that was with the bingo light on for 20 miles or so.

Not as bad, as I thought then. Still 35 mpg is dillusional.

/M

• Advertisement

Do the viewing in Swords at 9? I'll pick you up, drop you to the bank and get you to Mondello for 12?

Have to be in Ashbourne at 1 so I'm timebound that way. Can you transfer your insurance on a Sat?

Here now listen, if I was sensible, with my sort of driving, I'd splash out on a small diesel and easily blast it up and down the motorway due to work commitments twice a month to deal with it getting a good go, and sorting out it's parts.

Instead I've an ancient alfa, that I've put a bit of work in, and have more to do, it's not in bad nick though, we are nearly there mechanically, and all that's left after the next small piece of work is the bodywork, and I'll have a car I love, that looks great, and people comment on, without noticing it's twelve years old.

If you can afford to run and maintain the car then do it, if you can't then don't.

I got really pissed off looking for a car last time, and as the OH had a car for me to do city to city runs in comfort started lookinig at the likes of seicentos as a runabout!

Bear with it, you will find a car you love that is either well looked after, or you know about and you'll want to put the work in. My mechanic is so chuffed with how my gtv turned out that he jokes now "I'm happy driving your car into my garage, and it's an alfa!"

It is **** though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement