Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Marlow wrote: »
    Not as bad, as I thought then. Still 35 mpg is dillusional.

/M

Either way I couldnt care less, it's 20 quid cheaper to fill than the Supra was, and I get at least 80 more miles out of a tank.

Win win for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Nice car but I just don't want one :)

Fair enough so. There is lots of crap at around the 4k mark and below, but keep looking and something will jump out.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3068823

Float your boat? Too expensive?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3022702

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Christ, 50/55 litres? Took 80 quid to fill last night, that was with the bingo light on for 20 miles or so.

I'm the same 50/55 litres to fill depending on the orange button, currently at 29 mpg, but working off my first ever full tank, on course for close to 35 mpg

Shall report back

I have adopted the "drive into work and bring lunch, rather than buy it" attitude, driving is so much more fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Either way I couldnt care less, it's 20 quid cheaper to fill than the Supra was, and I get at least 80 more miles out of a tank.

Win win for me!

Hehehehe .. but the roar of that Supra was epic. It was a bit powerless though. Was tempted to buy it myself, if you hadn't. Probably wouldn't have bought it, but looked for a turbo one.

And I completely understand, where you're coming from. If I'd get away with it, I'd drive the M5 every day. Or I'd find myself a decent VR6/V6 T4 and do a manual/syncro conversion on that.

/M

BX 19 wrote: »
    Float your boat? Too expensive?

That Honda will rob the bank in fuel. They are not very economical, I'm afraid. And the older ones were even worse.

Ask Quazzie. He's been after an E39 diesel ever since he had a spin in my Touring.

/M

• Advertisement

Hehehehe .. but the roar of that Supra was epic. It was a bit powerless though. Was tempted to buy it myself, if you hadn't. Probably wouldn't have bought it, but looked for a turbo one.

And I completely understand, where you're coming from. If I'd get away with it, I'd drive the M5 every day. Or I'd find myself a decent VR6/V6 T4 and do a manual/syncro conversion on that.

/M

Yeah that exhaust system was the business alright. Got me in trouble with the law the day before I sold it though...:(

Everyone said at the time "Why didn't you get a Turbo?". Having had the N/A for 9 months or so, I genuinely think that a TT would be undriveable as a daily. In the wet mine would step out very easily if I wasn't careful, in saying that it was controllable.

A Turbo would just spend all day sitting at lights lighting up the rear wheels.

Great on a track or as a weekend car, but would have been useless to me as a daily IMO.

I'd have kept that car if I could have afforded to tax it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Sometimes I wish we lived in the USSR.......you could have a Lada or a donkey

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

That Honda will rob the bank in fuel. They are not very economical, I'm afraid. And the older ones were even worse.

Ask Quazzie. He's been after an E39 diesel ever since he had a spin in my Touring.

/M

Are they really beasts on fuel?

Had a colleague with one a few years ago (on a fuel card), good lord, it was a seriously comfortable car.

The OH is thinking of changing this year and I was going to suggest an accord.

His mileage is fierce low, about 6k miles a year but with regular long trips

Everyone said at the time "Why didn't you get a Turbo?". Having had the N/A for 9 months or so, I genuinely think that a TT would be undriveable as a daily. In the wet mine would step out very easily if I wasn't careful, in saying that it was controllable.

A Turbo would just spend all day sitting at lights lighting up the rear wheels.

Not really. It's all down to tyres. And honestly, **** tyres or low profile will show up immidiatly in a car like that.
    I'd have kept that car if I could have afforded to tax it.

Well, that's the issue with living in the pale. The rural tax scheme sort of works :)

/M

Stheno wrote: »

Had a colleague with one a few years ago (on a fuel card), good lord, it was a seriously comfortable car.

Yep. They are. Mate of mine changed his Rover 600 (Honda Accord with wood nailed in the dash) for a Volvo 850 T5 and it was a god send fuel saving.

That sort of should give you an idea.

If you drive'm like a sissy, you're probably ok. If you like a bit of welly, don't do it.

/M

• Advertisement

Well, that's the issue with living in the pale. The rural tax scheme sort of works :)

/M

It was on the rural tax scheme, in the Pale! That was half the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I dunno if there that bad. I've driven the CRV with the same engine and it would return 45 on the motorway handily enough. I could imagine the accord would sail past 50mpg with ease.

If you drive'm like a sissy, you're probably ok. If you like a bit of welly, don't do it.

/M

To give you an idea, himself never ever, ever (even if the hounds of hell were chasing him) exceeds 65 mph on the motorway (and that's a push) and does mainly 10-20 mile round trips.

Loves big comfy cars, and currently drives a 1.8 petrol C5

He doesn't much like welly, I reckon they'd be a good match, and he'd adore the car, having been a passenger both in an accord, and in his car :)

It was on the rural tax scheme, in the Pale! That was half the problem....

Sorry. Yes. That's what I meant. It works outside the pale. In the pale it's not a good plan.
    To give you an idea, himself never ever, ever (even if the hounds of hell were chasing him) exceeds 65 mph on the motorway (and that's a push) and does mainly 10-20 mile round trips.

Loves big comfy cars, and currently drives a 1.8 petrol C5

He doesn't much like welly, I reckon they'd be a good match, and he'd adore the car, having been a passenger both in an accord, and in his car :)

He'd be ok in the Accord so. It's the big rev's that chew the fuel.

/M

Yep. They are. Mate of mine changed his Rover 600 (Honda Accord with wood nailed in the dash) for a Volvo 850 T5 and it was a god send fuel saving.

That sort of should give you an idea.

/M

the one linked to was a 2.2 diesel

RoverJames wrote: »
    the one linked to was a 2.2 diesel

Honda and diesel does not compute. But I don't have enough experience, so I let others give their input on that one.

/M

He'd be ok in the Accord so. It's the big rev's that chew the fuel.

/M

Are you talking about petrol and not diesel accords?

If you are, then he'd love it.

I drove his C5 from Belfast to Swords in 1 hour 35 mins one night (might have exceeded the limits on a clear, dry motorway where I was driving slowly) but my god the car drained petrol like it was water!

A 2.0L petrol accord I reckon would be better. His C5 appears to have a problem at the moment and is averaging 18-20 mpg regardless of the trip (that Belfast trip cost a LOT) compared to my 2.0 Alfa

On average he pours 30 litres into the car a month at the very most, so it's not a huge concern, they are one seriously comfortable car though

I guess the pre 2008s are good value at the moment?

Are you talking about petrol and not diesel accords?

If you are, then he'd love it.

Petrol Accord. I don't rate diesel Accords very high on the reliability scale.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I wonder what they did to this car or what its bhp is http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2893032

Just spent 250e on cycling sh!te....i deserve to be shot

Petrol Accord. I don't rate diesel Accords very high on the reliability scale.

/M

It was a petrol I was thinking of, the one I was in was an automatic.
    I'm not a fan of japanese cars, and I remember thinking it was one of the nicest cars I'd been in.

Top of the list to check out when himself decides
    he
    I need to find him a new car, big boot, space for four adults, comfy for long trips etc.

Thank you!

• Advertisement

I wonder what they did to this car or what its bhp is http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2893032

Just spent 250e on cycling sh!te....i deserve to be shot

Who would pay that money for an 18 year old civic? (am not a fan)

What ****e did you buy? I've a few colleagues who are serious car nuts, and cyclists at the same time, I don't really get it :)

It was a petrol I was thinking of, the one I was in was an automatic.
    I'm not a fan of japanese cars, and I remember thinking it was one of the nicest cars I'd been in.

Top of the list to check out when himself decides
    he
    I need to find him a new car, big boot, space for four adults, comfy for long trips etc.

Thank you!

Octavia :D ...

No honestly. Don't rate cars by where they are build.

I loved the boxy Accords when I was a kid. Or the 4x4 Lancer Station Wagon that was jap only.

And they are good cars. Even reliable enough engines, just fuel consuming.

Toyota's then are serious reliable, but feck they are boring .. and costly. At least Hondas have a soul.

Even with german stuff you can get good and wrong. I rate anything VAG after '04 to be right in the bin. But I'm opinionated. Thats the way it is.

/M

Im not a fan either as i dont really like jap cars but i sure am curious :)
    Got some clothing gear, new trip computer thingy, new shoes cleats and pedals and some maintenance crap. Cycling is expensive i picked the wrong thing!

Got some clothing gear, new trip computer thingy, new shoes cleats and pedals and some maintenance crap. Cycling is expensive i picked the wrong thing!

Add an engine to that two-wheel thing. Otherwise there's is no point to the exercise. :D

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Hold the phone, I saw a lovely looking Mini in Frank Keane BMW of Blackrock (formerly Maxwells) but didn't really stop to look.

One in the same?

(re: Owen's 52k Mini)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

At least i'm not the only cyclist around these parts:D

What you riding alan? Bike wise :P

qz wrote: »
    Hold the phone, I saw a lovely looking Mini in Frank Keane BMW of Blackrock (formerly Maxwells) but didn't really stop to look.

One in the same?

(re: Owen's 52k Mini)

That's for sale elsewhere. Why ? Was it black with red mirror caps ? Don't tell me you want a Mini now !! You want a Lotus !! You want a Lotus !!

/M

Octavia :D ...

No honestly. Don't rate cars by where they are build.

I loved the boxy Accords when I was a kid. Or the 4x4 Lancer Station Wagon that was jap only.

And they are good cars. Even reliable enough engines, just fuel consuming.

Toyota's then are serious reliable, but feck they are boring .. and costly. At least Hondas have a soul.

Even with german stuff you can get good and wrong. I rate anything VAG after '04 to be right in the bin. But I'm opinionated. Thats the way it is.

/M

I'm the same about post 04 VAGs was lucky enough to have a 99 golf and 00 bora when they came out, then I drove my mothers 1.4 Octavia, put me off them for life.

I won a van when I was a kid in a competition, my da traded it in for a lancia, great blinking car it was, I blame my alfa love on that childhood memory :D

He just wants big, comfortable and black (his car is nicknamed bubba/the best), we have slightly sick minds), regular service every 6-10k miles, oil check every 2 weeks, wash/tyre pressure/lights the same.

Those accords are lovely, he'd really enjoy it. so it's deffo a plan, thank you Motors/Marlow, I was a bit lost for ideas :)

I thought the accord was a good VAG when I got into it, it was beautiful, this as back in 2007, think it was an 05 model, and I was in the backseat en route to a sales meeting!
    Add an engine to that two-wheel thing. Otherwise there's is no point to the exercise. :D

/M
    I don't get this cycling thing at all!
    At least i'm not the only cyclist around these parts:D

Jaypers, you need to work where I do, it's like a cycling mafia alien throng arrive in in the morning in their weird outfits, hit the showers and office workers emerge

Us purist car drivers have to park with consideration for their need to lock up their bikes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The B18 engine that's gone in isn't a TypeR engine, I'd say with breathing mods and a healthy engine it's sitting around 175BHP

Those Civics are just go-karts for the road, I enjoy mine which would have a similar power output to the one above

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement