Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

MugMugs wrote: »
    Seriously considering a weekend Capri with the few bob I've got coming......

Have I ever told you about the pyramid scam scheme I'm involved in?

dgt wrote: »
    .............. Relief :)

Fair play, best of luck with it, all going well the worst is over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Are you involved in property?

So long as everyone keep buying and prices keep rising what CAN possibly go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

MugMugs wrote: »
    Seriously considering a weekend Capri with the few bob I've got coming......

Haha. Have I ever told you I'm a professional crook regulated by the central bank under the name of "Insurance" Transfer your "schemes" risk to me instead..... I'll see you right! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

The alfa is booked in for its first Nct next wed!
    Fingers crossed:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 4.0 is supposed to give bothers, the auto box is a disaster on the earlier 3.0 models.
    The 3.0 is supposed to be the best engine (same as Mondeo S220, but Jag is 240hp) of the bunch, and being manual you don't have the associated problems like jerky gearchange and randomly selecting reverse. Happily, there's only 0.4 of a second to 60 difference between a manual 3.0 and a 4.0 (not that 0-60 is relevant, but whatever)

The X type doesn't pull off the old "I have a Jaaaaaaag" thing. Part of the mystique of a Jag is the big petrol engine, the torturous fuel consumption, and that you'd never buy one using your head over your heart.
    :D

(That all sounds so fanboi-ish)
    What about the 2.5 colm? Any other frailties you know of?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What about the 2.5 colm? Any other frailties you know of?

Haven't a clue about the 2.5 I'm afraid.

HAlf the plugs never changed and brake calipers are the only common things I have heard about, neither major.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Saw a black dechromed x type coming from forge hill tonight....looked amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭pah

What is it about 19" alloys at the moment? Crammed into the wheel arches

They're all over the place on donedeal on A4's and Accords. :confused: A5 and AMG mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

I didn't even hit VTEC once,

Can i ask a really retarded question? What is vtec :o I know its something that uses a lot of petrol thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Can i ask a really retarded question? What is vtec :o I know its something that uses a lot of petrol thats it.

a specific type of honda engine

more high performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Vtec kicks in when the revs get to a certain point. That point is different depending on the car, but usually it's between 5200rpm and 5800rpm depending on the car.
    When vtec kicks in, the camshaft profile changes and the engine is given a burst of extra power, and noise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vtec is the noise people make on the motorway every night of the bloody week near my house when they're racing to prove one fella's 1.6 is faster and less smokey than another fella's :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

BDJW wrote: »
    When vtec kicks in, the camshaft profile changes and the engine is given a burst of extra power, and noise ;)

Awwwww I want one of these :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

The negative point about them is that there isn't much power lower down in the rev range. But they are fun to drive, and economical for a performance car. Vtec is also addictive!

Vtec is the noise people make on the motorway every night of the bloody week near my house when they're racing to prove one fella's 1.6 is faster and less smokey than another fella's :rolleyes:

It's a bit more than noise. If the cam was always at the same profile as it is in vtec then it would have terrible fuel consumption, rough idle and put an awful lot of pressure on the springs and retainers.

The normal profile starts to drop off power at around 5500rpm because it's not able to flow air so it switches over to the higher profile which lets the valves open for longer thus pushing through more air and allowing the engine to rev out till somewhere around 9000rpm. Think of an engine as an air pump, the more efficiently it can flow air the more power it makes.

Have ye ever driven a proper 172 lads?

it's like having Vtec, but actually having power before Vtec as well.

Have ye ever driven a proper 172 lads?

it's like having Vtec, but actually having power before Vtec as well.

I have, if I could I'd get the dyno graph and overlay it onto my Tegs one, The Teg had way more power everywhere

Actually did a comparison on these previously for a mate

Oh and the 172 couldn't come near me on the track in my Teg or my Civic, the only Clio that gave me a run was a 197 F1 edition that could outbrake me in the last corner but I was past him again before the start/finish line

I have, if I could I'd get the dyno graph and overlay it onto my Tegs one, The Teg had way more power everywhere

Actually did a comparison on these previously for a mate

Oh and the 172 couldn't come near me on the track in my Teg or my Civic, the only Clio that gave me a run was a 197 F1 edition that could outbrake me in the last corner but I was past him again before the start/finish line

That Clio must of been a ball because i've personally seen one leave Tegs in the mist. The same fella whom you know had a very fast Teg (dyno'd 202bhp) and said the Clio would leave it for dirt.

Also, i'm not getting into this argument because you can never win with Honda drivers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Honda calls is VTEC or i-VTEC.

BMW calls it VANOS. My M5 has it on the inlet and outlet side of the engine, hence double-vanos.

Toyota calls it VVT-i.

Rover calls is VVC.

Mitsubishi calls it Mivec.

Essentially, it's all variable valve timing. This article was the best to describe it, I found: http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/vvt.htm

This is Wikipedias take on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

/M

That Clio must of been a ball because i've personally seen one leave Tegs in the mist. The same fella whom you know had a very fast Teg (dyno'd 202bhp) and said the Clio would leave it for dirt.

Also, i'm not getting into this argument because you can never win with Honda drivers!

I'm just having a conversation. There were 3 172's at one of the days and the 197 was near new and being driven by a Pro Time Attack Driver (far better pilot than me)

Any Clio we put on the dyno came in lower than the Hondas. The Clios are a good car and I would recommend one but they don't perform as well as you claim, not in standard form anyway.

There was one built for ITCC and the lad that had it just got rid and replaced it with an Integra, these guys don't make decisions like that for nothing given the hundreds of hours poured into the cars

i'll have to get him to sign up to fight his case!

i'll have to get him to sign up to fight his case!

Where was it dyno'd at 202?

Mine was dyno'd in Westward at 196, one of the cylinders was filling with oil and it was bellowing smoke, dyno'd it the next day in Urban at 165 which would have been closer to the truth, after a head rebuild and some other work it went back up to just shy of 190 which is a high figure for a Teg on a Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road

I've seen far too many lads come and go telling me one car is faster than the other without any direct comparison on a track or dyno

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Marlow wrote: »

BMW calls it VANOS. My M5 has it on the inlet and outlet side of the engine, hence double-vanos.

Toyota calls it VVT-i.

Rover calls is VVC.

Essentially, it's all variable valve timing. This article was the best to describe it, I found: http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/vvt.htm

This is Wikipedias take on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

/M

I thought Toyota's version was VVT-Li and VVT-i was standard fuel injection?

Marlow wrote: »

Toyota calls it VVT-i.

Rover calls is VVC.

/M

Most of those systems are a tad more sophisticated than VTEC though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

And you left out Nissans Neo-VVL ;)

...... that's SFI you're thinking of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

VVTL-i is the latest incarnation. VVT-i the most common one. The VVT in VVT-i stands for Variable Valve Timing, you know :) ... Read the article I linked.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Most of those systems are a tad more sophisticated than VTEC though :)

There are different stages of VTEC, too. And later VTEC has it's advantages over other systems.
    And you left out Nissans Neo-VVL ;)

I left out a pile of systems, including Porsches Variocam. My point was, VTEC is not a Honda exclusive. It's just called something else with other manufacturers.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Anybody got anything nice to use to shampoo car carpet / mats ?

cant find much on micks garage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement