Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Anyone here ever gone skydiving?

Yes, did a static line jump and had a limp for about 2 years after it :o I flared too late on the landing and took a heavy hit on my ankle, still have slight problems with it if I try running or if the weather is very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yeah,did a tandem 14,000 feet jump before

I envy your balls!

I like to think that I'd face most things head on but I'm pretty certain that I would have great difficulty convincing my body to throw itself out of a plane !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

MugMugs wrote: »
    I envy your balls!

I like to think that I'd face most things head on but I'm pretty certain that I would have great difficulty convincing my body to throw itself out of a plane !

I would rather attempt to drive on the M50 blindfolded than throw myself out of a plane, really bad fear of heights and not to fond of flying either!

mrs crilly wrote: »
    I would rather attempt to drive on the M50 blindfolded than throw myself out of a plane, really bad fear of heights and not to fond of flying either!

That's okay. You'd be like every other road user in that case and end up in the right hand lane with your fog lights on and tailgating ! :P :pac:

I'd actually love to do it but I just really really can't see myself lobbing myself out of a plane.

In saying that, with a Tandem job at least some of the decision aspect of doing it is taken away from you..... Which could be half the battle! I'd say it's bloody awesome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'm very jealous of all you people who aren't working today :(

• Advertisement

BDJW wrote: »
    I'm very jealous of all you people who aren't working today :(

To be fair, I am working today and I am in the bloody office too.

Came in at 8am, turned on PC, Made Coffee and opened Facebook, Boards and The Journal..... and that's how my day will continue ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I envy your balls!

I grew up right beside a parachute club for most of my life. There is an instructer at the club who is ex-army and is about 6ft 5 and a very bulky man. He tends to do most of the tandems because he's big enough to carry most people's weight. He always tells people that if they get in the plane that there is only one way out of it, because only the pilot gets to see the landing. Once he gets you in and you're strapped to him, you're going out of that plane with him. He makes sure you know this before you go up, so that you get your chance to chicken out on the ground. He says most of the time this is enough to intimidate people into not getting scared up there, but a few times he's had to jump out with a screamer strapped on the front of him.

Quazzie wrote: »
    I grew up right beside a parachute club for most of my life. There is an instructer at the club who is ex-army and is about 6ft 5 and a very bulky man. He tends to do most of the tandems because he's big enough to carry most people's weight. He always tells people that if they get in the plane that there is only one way out of it, because only the pilot gets to see the landing. Once he gets you in and you're strapped to him, you're going out of that plane with him. He makes sure you know this before you go up, so that you get your chance to chicken out on the ground. He says most of the time this is enough to intimidate people into not getting scared up there, but a few times he's had to jump out with a screamer strapped on the front of him.

What an awesome awesome job!

Kudos to him and to anybody who does tbh. It's an admirable pursuit and I am sure free falling 10,000 feet to the ground with a screaming oaf strapped to your chest doesn't make that any easier.

*adds to "to do list 2012*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Someone needs to convince me not to spend the guts of 500 quid on a new phone...HTC One X...

Someone needs to convince me not to spend the guts of 500 quid on a new phone...HTC One X...

What have you got at the moment?

• Advertisement

What an awesome awesome job!

The pilot there has the best job. He brings them up, and lets them out, and he's landed, reloaded and taken off before the first person hits the ground. Its amazing when you see the videos of the jumps, and you can see that as soon as the last person out the plane goes near vertical as he races to get to the ground.

What have you got at the moment?

LG Optinus 7. Bought it almost a year ago on the cheap...ive been wanting a change for a while...the one X is 519 tho! I have a voucher for three worth 50 quid so that makes it 469...hmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

To be fair, I am working today and I am in the bloody office too.

Came in at 8am, turned on PC, Made Coffee and opened Facebook, Boards and The Journal..... and that's how my day will continue ! :)

Unfortunately, I have loads of work today, so there will be very little dossing done today!

LG Optinus 7. Bought it almost a year ago on the cheap...ive been wanting a change for a while...the one X is 519 tho! I have a voucher for three worth 50 quid so that makes it 469...hmmm.

I bought my Desire when they were only out from Ebay for around €250 which was about half of what it would have cost me here.

That's a hell of a lot of money for a phone dude ! I'd be checking out Fleabay and putting the voucher aside..... I find vouchers drive me to buy really expensive things in excess of the voucher price.

I'm thinking of getting the HTC One S for €129, I have a Desire for the last 18 months or so and am due an upgrade. Billpay and substantially different to the One X but still, €500 ish is looney for a phone imo.

I bought my Desire when they were only out from Ebay for around €250 which was about half of what it would have cost me here.

That's a hell of a lot of money for a phone dude ! I'd be checking out Fleabay and putting the voucher aside..... I find vouchers drive me to buy really expensive things in excess of the voucher price.

Hmmmm...

It is a ridiculous amount to spend really! I'll try and wait it out for a bit I guess, the phone did only come out this week....hence the price!

The last thing I was expecting was to have yee lot talk sense into me!:pac:

As much as I hate Apple.... Would you not consider an iPhone?

My desire is doing my head in. The internal memory storage is utter tripe on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

That's okay. You'd be like every other road user in that case and end up in the right hand lane with your fog lights on and tailgating ! :P :pac:

Moi? I would never drive like that I am an angel ;)

Slacker!
    BDJW wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I have loads of work today, so there will be very little dossing done today!

I am up the walls but I have a nice piece of work to do today, I am a judge for our Chairmans Awards and I have 15 nomination forms to review and score. Something different anyway :)

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Slacker!

With the week I have ahead of me next week?? I deserve it.

Monday: Dundalk - Donegal - Dundalk
    Tuesday: Dundalk - Dublin - Naas - Dundalk
    Wednesday: Dundalk - Ballinasloe - Loughrea - Galway - Dundalk
    Thursday : Dundalk - Belfast - Derry - Dundalk
    Friday: Dundalk - Dublin - Cork

I'd say Micky Noonan is licking his lips at the prospect of me filling up Sunday night. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

As much as I hate Apple.... Would you not consider an iPhone?

My desire is doing my head in. The internal memory storage is utter tripe on it :(

Dont want to start the apple/not apple war that always ensues, but I am a gadget freak (like most of you lot) and the iPhone is the only phone I have ever not been bored with after 3 months. Have my iPhone 4 since launch 18 months ago and I'd struggle without it. Couldnt even consider another phone at the minute. I'll replace it at the next revision launch.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Dont want to start the apple/not apple war that always ensues, but I am a gadget freak (like most of you lot) and the iPhone is the only phone I have ever not been bored with after 3 months. Have my iPhone 4 since launch 18 months ago and I'd struggle without it. Couldnt even consider another phone at the minute. I'll replace it at the next revision launch.

Ah come on now. Android are equally as good as iOS though. The only edge Apple have from what I can see is the smoothness and style of the interface.

But then you meet iTunes. I can Bluetooth albums to my brother and get stuff back each time I see him.... My other brother sits in the corner with his iphone asking for it on a memory key....

I like the openness of Android tbh

Ah come on now. Android are equally as good as iOS though. The only edge Apple have from what I can see is the smoothness and style of the interface.

But then you meet iTunes. I can Bluetooth albums to my brother and get stuff back each time I see him.... My other brother sits in the corner with his iphone asking for it on a memory key....

I like the openness of Android tbh

^^^What I just said I didnt want to start. I never said a word about android. I gave my opinion on apple. If Alanstrainer wants to stay with android, more power to him.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    ^^^What I just said I didnt want to start. I never said a word about android. I gave my opinion on apple. If Alanstrainer wants to stay with android, more power to him.

Wasn't rowing with you, merely discussing. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think the iPhone is the worst thing I ever spent money on, very restrictive and iTunes, sweet Jesus how bad can one piece of software be?

Android phone arriving Tuesday :)

Wasn't rowing with you, merely discussing. :rolleyes:

You are not wrong by the way. Apple is not perfect, and iTunes is a mare. There are ways around that though if it bothers you enough. With the last iOS(5) you dont need to sync nearly as much. I only bother with it once a forthnight or so to load content.

It suits me though. I like the stability which a lot of androids lack (not all).

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Android phone arriving Tuesday :)

What kind?

I've had iPhones since the iPhone 3 launch. I love the phone itself, but the fact thats its so locked in, and iTunes* means that I'm considering giving Android a 6 month chance to win me over. I'm going to buy an Android phone and if I like it I'll stay with Android, if I don't I'll get the iPhone 5 on launch date.

*worst. program. ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

What kind?

I threw my iPhone away while pissed, just picked up Samsung Galaxy S2 secondhand. If I like it I'll go for the S3 when it's launched. Should I not like it I'll be getting my Nokia 5110 repaired and sticking with that

• Advertisement

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I threw my iPhone away while pissed, just picked up Samsung Galaxy S2 secondhand. If I like it I'll go for the S3 when it's launched. Should I not like it I'll be getting my Nokia 5110 repaired and sticking with that

What a phone.... If it had vibrate I'd probably still be using it. Those things were flawless

250px-Nokia_5110.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement