Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Right folks I'm fairly pissed off with motors at the minute. Between the F and the Passat I'm at the end of my tether with cars.

Not sure what to do with the F really. Parts are worth very little over here and not sure what to do with it really. Finishing the repairs are off the cards for now so it's just going to remain parked up in the shed at home.

The bigger pressing issue is the Passat however, yes VAG ****E I'll agree but in fairness to it the car has done 137K miles and something is bound to go wrong.

For those who missed it yesterday it started off the day by sounding like a bag of spanners on start up and until it warmed up. I'm told this is known as diseasel slap and points to one issue and that is a failed injector for one reason or another. MPG gone to shid also backs this up as does a loss of power yesterday.

Next up is the DMF. This is also on the way out as it's rumbling away on tickover and therefore it's life expectancy is slowly ebbing away.

Finally i had to leave it in the mechanics garage yesterday as the piston in the rear left brake caliper locked on and wouldn't release. A hook up to VAGCOM couldn't resolve it, neither did taking the battery out, flashing the ECU or running updates. It also recorded low current and a few other issues. This left both me and my trusty mechanic pissed off as it was parked across the entrance to his garage and the only solution was to drag it back and drive it up the yard, rear wheels locked in position, so it was out of the way for now.

Anyway, repairs from before Christmas stand at €700 and repairs to sort the rest out will be €1000 at best.

Anyway I'm currently left very pissed off over all this, it's no ones fault really just wear and tear, but still I'm not overly impressed. I won't be back home until the 3rd of Jan and won't be able to arrange finance until then for a replacement if I chose that method.

Anyway what would you do? Repair or replace? I had intended replacing it next summer anyway which is adding to the difficulty. I'll not be making any decision for now but even after a quick look around today there isn't really anything to float my boat

Repair is the best thing to do financially.
    What's wrong with the F? Did you diagnose the starting issue as the pump?

RoverJames wrote: »
    Repair is the best thing to do financially.
    What's wrong with the F? Did you diagnose the starting issue as the pump?
    I think there is no spark. It's more off the cards for now as the passat has put a damper on all things motoring. I'm just going to hold on until I'm enjoying working on it again

Well no spark is cheaper to fix than a fuel pump me thinks :)
    Every cloud and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Priced a belt today :)

Belt on its own: 35

Belt + tensioner and 2 rollers: 325 :confused:

WTF????!!!!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Well no spark is cheaper to fix than a fuel pump me thinks :)
    Every cloud and all that...
    Very true. New dizzy and rotor arm I reckon should do it I hope

johnos1984 wrote: »
    ........... New dizzy and rotor arm..............

... a tad OTT :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

The fupp is a Primal Screen?

An awesome band and/or a Psychological term ;)

johnos1984 wrote: »
    ........... New dizzy and rotor arm..............

... a tad OTT :)

Better suggestion?

Most prolific purchaser (could be me, think I've gone through 5 this year so far)

Best purchase (dunno, none of mine anyway, perhaps Matt Simmis' S8?)

Best banger (My Lexus :D )

• Advertisement

.. are you sure it's not the king lead?

.. are you sure it's not the king lead?
    It could be as I haven't tested it yet. I was told to test that before ordering the other parts but I haven't had a chance to do that yet, or how to

E39MSport wrote: »
    Most prolific purchaser (could be me, think I've gone through 5 this year so far)

Best purchase (dunno, none of mine anyway, perhaps Matt Simmis' S8?)

Best banger (My Lexus :D )

A ha! In this year alone I got... 7 motors to add to the fleet :pac:

Would my upside down Fiesta class as best banger? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Picked up the DVD about Senna earlier, looking forward to watching it :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2844568
    Ad wrote:
    Body type: 2hole door tanned

Engine size: Big enough

I see...

Not going to ask for a test drive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

My Golf is best banger!

16,000 miles with additional costs of 50 euro for an air flow and 70 for a full (minus roof) respray :P

dgt wrote: »
    A ha! In this year alone I got... 7 motors to add to the fleet :pac:

Would my upside down Fiesta class as best banger? :P

I've seen all your posts. I thought you were a mechanic with all them yokes.
    They all for personal use?

7 must be a winner then

Whats the 'crack' here ? Looks like a joke.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2844542

edit: the mobile number is also renting out commercial property in Laois

I've seen all your posts. I thought you were a mechanic with all them yokes.
    They all for personal use?

7 must be a winner then

Nah, I'm just someone with a strange hobby: tinkering about with many different cars in my spare time :pac:

Some are for parts (merc 500se, blue fiesta)

Others were for strange purposes (the vectra was for jumping stuff/ stores and corsa was a garden warrior :P vectra was from barura :) )

The polo and green fiesta were also from barura :)

The 166 is a big toy to add to the collection :D

Alas, I need to cut down on all these cars... Space is at a premium here and trying to look after all these cars is a miniature fortune :(

That 500se have leather in it? If so is it forsale?

• Advertisement

That 500se have leather in it? If so is it forsale?

Interior has gone into my dads w126, it was leather and electronically adjustable :)

Poor car was a resto and half way in it was found out just how rotten the car was...! :(

If youre after the engine and autobox, do let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Interior has gone into my dads w126, it was leather and electronically adjustable :)

I think I just heard LM banging his head off the monitor :D

Saw another VRS today

Skoda+Octavia+LR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Whats the 'crack' here ? Looks like a joke.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2844542

edit: the mobile number is also renting out commercial property in Laois

Just a very badly done joke/publicity stunt!

Voodoo will you get rid of your sig?

It's really turning me off a 7 series haha

Poor car was a resto and half way in it was found out just how rotten the car was...! :(

If youre after the engine and autobox, do let me know :)

W126? Show please. Lovem. Want a 500 coupe :D. Should be able to gt a very early one as a proper classic in 2012.

As you say though, time, space and also money are at a premium....... but its a W126 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Voodoo will you get rid of your sig?

It's really turning me off a 7 series haha

Haha, its been living purely in town in xmas traffic, MPG has dropped through the floor.

........ MPG has dropped through the floor.

Without my 8 ish mile spin to where I usually work the ZT is about 12mpg for the last 80 miles.

W126? Show please. Lovem. Want a 500 coupe :D. Should be able to gt a very early one as a proper classic in 2012.

As you say though, time, space and also money are at a premium....... but its a W126 ;)

They ain't coupés but alas... :)

Heres the 500
    Image1742.jpg

The only seat left
    Image1743.jpg

And the mill
    Image1745.jpg

However all is not rosy wit the car...
    Image1744.jpg

So whats behind the door? :D
    Image1746.jpg

Smaller mill... But what an engine to look at :cool:
    Image1747.jpg

Its getting there though :)
    Image1748.jpg

Some of my dads toys, not mine I'm afraid (even the blue Bravo :pac:)

Not quite what I was expecting ;)

but there's potential there. Nice project.

You're some man for messing with cars. Get it from the old man it would appear.

Fair play.

(edit) and thanks for the vote on the Bora pic ;)

• Advertisement

My ladyfriend's uncle has a quarry where there are a good few of those cars (W126 saloons and coupés) same as here, some for bits, the rest are a private collection :)

The 280 was a barn car, we got it just in time before the rust began to take its grip. The 500 wasn't so lucky!

There may be only 3 in the house but we used to have over 20 cars in the garden, beside the kitchen, even parts in the house... We cut down since, just had to! The neighbours don't like the big cars very much, badge snobbery and envy :pac:

When your getting one, look under the car and the chassis legs, thats where they rust the most. These cars also eat fuel pumps (the 280 has gone through 4) so its best to get a new one shortly after you buy the car and have it as a spare. Seized calipers, wonkey fuseboxes (continental fuses) and electric madness are expected from a car thats been lying up. Bits for these cars are quite reasonable mind you :) surprisingly, bits are way cheaper and more available than my Alfa :eek:

Heres 2 more pics for you comparing it to one of my toys :cool:
    Image1881.jpg

Image198.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement