Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Compton wrote: »
    Mainly if you change the engine in the car and it has less miles on it

it's the car that wears the mileage not the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you need to change the instrument cluster in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Why not enter the mileage voluntarily on motorcheck.ie and also post the car across multiple forums.

Finally has anyone reported it to donedeal?

Better still why not post a warning ad on donedeal with pictures of the correct mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Why not enter the mileage voluntarily on motorcheck.ie and also post the car across multiple forums.

Finally has anyone reported it to donedeal?

Better still why not post a warning ad on donedeal with pictures of the correct mileage

I reported it first thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Time to shoot myself in the foot...

I got my beloved van originally with 125k miles. But that engine was totaled, along with the box, ecu playing up and the speedo was broke, its all in my build thread...

Anyways, I had another engine, set of clocks and ecu with 88k miles out of my old car just sitting there, so I stuck the whole lot in. I wouldn't pester myself with 125k clocks on an 88k engine, bit silly really ;)

Currently on 102k :) it was funny seeing the "serviced at 120k miles, next service due..." sticker under the bonnet :pac:

Have an engineers report too :)

Wouldn't sell a clocked vehicle anyway :)

• Advertisement

Donedeal want proof, I've linked them to the thread.

Hopefully it helps

Hopefully it helps

Hello DoneDeal.ie :)

We link to your site loads and loads on here, ye should sponsor the All The Way Round folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Hopefully it helps

The 8000 post, 543 page thread?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    The 8000 post, 543 page thread?
    the page and specific post

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They can't

That's shocking. Especially when the NCT records the milage on every test and re-test.

No. The milage is for the chassis. Wear and tear on drivetrain etc. If you change the engine to a lower milage one, you document, WHEN the engine was changed and pass that on to the buyer. You do NOT correct the milage.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

it's the car that wears the mileage not the engine!

What if you replace the engine with one with higher miles? Then a 85k car has a 130k engine and you don't have to change the odometer?

Marlow wrote: »
    ....... You do NOT correct the milage.

/M

In fairness the generic "you" can do whatever they want to their car once it doesn't mislead the next owner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What if you replace the engine with one with higher miles? Then a 85k car has a 130k engine and you don't have to change the odometer?

Exactly. Any time i've every bought an engine, very rarely have i known the mileage/cared.

You always document the milage of the engine and the milage of the chassis at the time of the swap. Generally, the rule of thumb is that the milage on the odo is the milage of the chassis.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness the generic "you" can do whatever they want to their car once it doesn't mislead the next owner :)

You can do that here. But in countries, where odo-meter correction has been banned, it has been made very VERY VERY clear, that the milage on the odo is the chassis milage. Everything else gets documented seperatly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you need to change the instrument cluster in the car.

Isn't the milage stored in the ECU rather than the clocks? Wouldn't the clocks be plug and play?

Isn't the milage stored in the ECU rather than the clocks? Wouldn't the clocks be plug and play?

It depends on the car. In most cars it's stored in the instrument cluster only.

With newer BMW's for example (E60 and newer) it's stored in the ECU, Instrument cluster and key.

But up to 04-05 you can assume it's instrument cluster only. Hence so easy to adjust the milage.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Did we find out if the person selling is the same who Quazzie sold / traded in to?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Did we find out if the person selling is the same who Quazzie sold / traded in to?
    I suspect it will soon be removed

Bit late for that:
    Accord.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

If he took it in as PX for an X5, why am I not getting any hits for his mobile off donedeal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

Probably because he lied

• Registered Users Posts: 28,954 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is the e-mail I sent to Donedeal.
    To whom it may concern. The car in this advertisement has had its mileage altered. When asked about this the owner claims to have taken this as a trade in against a BMW X5. This is suggesting that if the car is clocked, then it was done by the previous owner. I know this not to be true because I am the previous owner. I sold it to him approximately two weeks ago, by means of an ad on your website. A quick search can verify this, along with the mileage which was stated clearly on the ad.

I would like this ad to be removed immediately as not only is fraudulent by the person selling it, but it is also slanderous against me, by claiming that I sold the car after altering the mileage, which is something I take huge offense to.

My phone number is <SNIP> as can be seen on my previous ad, and I can be contacted on this number should you need to verify any of the details I have supplied.

Regards

<SNIP>

Ad now gone:)

Thanks Megan from DD

Ad now gone:)

Thanks Megan from DD

Excellent work lads! :)

Excellent work lads! :)
    Top work by DD.

The original reply to my complaint came back at 11:10 last night and another before midnight asking me to contact the previous owner.

All they needed was his email address to pull up a record of his ad to verify what was being said.

Top work and nice and simple procedure to follow:)

Top work by DD.

The original reply to my complaint came back at 11:10 last night and another before midnight asking me to contact the previous owner.

All they needed was his email address to pull up a record of his ad to verify what was being said.

Top work and nice and simple procedure to follow:)

Pity more can't be done about the seller though. :(

Pity more can't be done about the seller though. :(
    I know but at least it's removed.............for now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

And boards.ie Motors forum cracks another motoring mystery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

If he took it in as p/x he is a dealer. That makes it worse. At least the ad is gone. I wonder if he changes the alloys and re-tries to sell again soon....

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

And boards.ie Motors forum cracks another motoring mystery :D

scooby-doo-tv-01.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement