Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

166man wrote: »
    Don't be dissin' Alfa's... :D

Especially not project ones that the owner is hoping to improve in all aspects :D

I love that car but gosh does it need a lot of work !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Stheno wrote: »
    Especially not project ones that the owner is hoping to improve in all aspects :D

I love that car but gosh does it need a lot of work !

Have no fear I could spent about 10 times the value of my 156 and still have a car with problems. Ah the joys of reliable Italian motoring...:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have no fear I could spent about 10 times the value of my 156 and still have a car with problems. Ah the joys of reliable Italian motoring...:D

Ah, but the roar, the handling, my stress relief is taking the car out for a drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Ah, but the roar, the handling, my stress relief is taking the car out for a drive :)

And then ringing home for a lift. :D

Strangely I take the car the five minutes down the road to the shop/off-licence not because I'm a lazy little git but because it's just so nice even to drive that distance... or maybe I am just lazy I dunno :pac:

• Advertisement

That sounds right, I was getting confused with the TS and V6 it appears :)

Still have to find the logbook though :)

Don't think they made a 2.0 V6 tbh, wouldn't be an expert on them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I must be doing something right, I spent naff all on my rebuild :p
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Don't think they made a 2.0 V6 tbh, wouldn't be an expert on them though.

There was a 2.0 V6 turbo for the Italian and Portugese markets, to escape high taxes. Hence if you look at most 2.0l Italian cars, theyre under 2000cc eg Coupe 20vt, Ferrari 208, Lancia Thema turbo etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I breathe a little sigh of relief every time the 156 starts. Heard a nasty rattle at the back yesterday and assumed the worst, turned out the aftermarket exhaust tip had slipped and was vibrating against the exhaust - phew. Also got a quote of €440 for cambelt and variator, not too bad. Thing is, do I do the cambelt and keep the car for two years or not do it and have the option to change to something else after one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If anyone is considering an ST purchase (unlikely here I know), I would just say, make sure to do your research on any 07 D black one you see for sale on DoneDeal.

Friendly word of warning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dar83 wrote: »
    If anyone is considering an ST purchase (unlikely here I know), I would just say, make sure to do your research on any 07 D black one you see for sale on DoneDeal.

Friendly word of warning. :)

I see ut but I'd love to know why? A bit too good to be true?

• Advertisement

I didnt really want to say, im not sure why really but i suppose its no harm. Cat C and engine changed from original. The bonnet didn't quite line up with the grille/body kit either it had a slight overhang, so not sure it was just potential water damage but more than likely a head on.

Actually strangely apparently the issue didn't appear through Motorcheck, but showed up for me on Cartell. Not sure if the Motorcheck one was the cheap option though, so maybe with the full check it will show up there also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You know Draffodx from here is selling his ST if you're still looking. Healthy car, dyno'd it myself :p

I already made my purchase back in November, but Draf's is a nice machine alright. They are hard to find in decent condition here, a lot seem to have niggley issues and some, worse. :)

Confab wrote: »
    ............... Thing is, do I do the cambelt and keep the car for two years or not do it and have the option to change to something else after one?

..... when was it last done in time and miles?

..... when was it last done in time and miles?

I'm all for Cambelt Bingo but an Alfa is not a car I'd play it with :)

Indeed, if it's 3 years or 36k miles or whatever the interval is it needs doing me thinks.

I breathe a little sigh of relief every time the 156 starts. Heard a nasty rattle at the back yesterday and assumed the worst, turned out the aftermarket exhaust tip had slipped and was vibrating against the exhaust - phew. Also got a quote of €440 for cambelt and variator, not too bad. Thing is, do I do the cambelt and keep the car for two years or not do it and have the option to change to something else after one?

If it needs doing as RJ has outlined, do it, they are prone to breaking and then you'll have no car.

Washed the car again today and I just cant seem to get the Snow Foam right. It's starting to annoy me.

I'm not sure if the Pressure Washer is too powerful or what, but I can never get the foam think enough to cover and stick to the car properly as it is supposed so. It goes on thick enough at times but just runs off within a minute or two. Anyone got any more successful methods of application?

I tried to use a more concetrated mixture today but it didn't really make much of a difference, probably used about a 1:10 (foam solution:water) dilution, which is more than double the strength they recommend...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

dar83 wrote: »
    Washed the car again today and I just cant seem to get the Snow Foam right. It's starting to annoy me.

I'm not sure if the Pressure Washer is too powerful or what, but I can never get the foam think enough to cover and stick to the car properly as it is supposed so. It goes on thick enough at times but just runs off within a minute or two. Anyone got any more successful methods of application?

I tried to use a more concetrated mixture today but it didn't really make much of a difference, probably used about a 1:10 (foam solution:water) dilution, which is more than double the strength they recommend...

I think you can adjust the nozzle if you have one of the bottles that kit to a pressure washer. Turning it makes the 2 paddles move in and out.

I had the same problem with mine and this is how I found out, on one setting, more water is sent through the nozzle hence making the foam too watery to stick.

It's supposed to run off after a while though.

Yeah I have the valve/nozzle to adjust, yet I moved it all the way to the + and it still doesn't seem to be very "sticky" foam. As if there's just too much water being pumped through no matter what. :(

Doesn't help that it takes a few seconds for the mixture to come through after you start the spray and then with the valve fully open it only lasts about a minute before the reservoir runs out and you need to refill. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That'll happen alright!

What chemical do you use? I have Meguiar's hyperwash and I find it's great.

It's ValetPro PH neutral snow foam...

Meant to be one of the better ones available based on the reviews/general concensus, but it's the first I've tried so I have nothing to compare it to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Indeed, if it's 3 years or 36k miles or whatever the interval is it needs doing me thinks.

It's due at 76k, it's at 70k now. Probably 4 years since it was done. Service was done at 65k but the filter wasn't changed, so an oil change is due because of that.

It's 36k or three years, you're over time wise and nearly there mileage wise so tbh I'd be doing it asap. Alfa's one of the few cars I'd be paranoid about sticking to the manufacturers guidelines on

It's due at 76k, it's at 70k now. Probably 4 years since it was done. Service was done at 65k but the filter wasn't changed, so an oil change is due because of that.

I'd get it done as soon as you can Confab, if the belt goes on you it's going to ruin a really nice car. At least having it done will give you peace of mind for the next while and any potential owner should you sell in the next two years.

"60k is the official time to change but even alfa recommend every 30 odd k, being honest the 4 year thing is bull i have never seen a belt snap from age and its only the tensioner that fail, the original tensioner was a metal one and was replaced with a more reliable plastic tensioner, so basically if that tensioner is replaced the belt is and will be as reliable as any other car and should be changed every 60k, so much **** on forums, most of those lads just say what they have been told and not on personal experience"

..... this must be the third or fourth time we've been here :pac:
    As the nice chaps above have said, the belt needs doing.

"60k is the official time to change but even alfa recommend every 30 odd k, being honest the 4 year thing is bull i have never seen a belt snap from age and its only the tensioner that fail, the original tensioner was a metal one and was replaced with a more reliable plastic tensioner, so basically if that tensioner is replaced the belt is and will be as reliable as any other car and should be changed every 60k, so much **** on forums, most of those lads just say what they have been told and not on personal experience"

... where did you pull that from ?

... where did you pull that from ?

A friend of mine that's had more Alfa's than most main Alfa dealers.

• Advertisement

I saw on fail on an '04 Golf that had 50k on it. Plastic tensioner was in 3 pieces, the car was still driving but making an odd noise, when we stripped it we couldn't believe it had made it to the garage. The Belts themselves rarely give in, it's usually a tensioner or water pump pulley

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement