Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

Well unless if knows whether confabs tensioner is the upgraded one or not it doesn't seem like great advice really. 60k odd was the official interval but Alfa changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I saw on fail on an '04 Golf that had 50k on it. Plastic tensioner was in 3 pieces, the car was still driving but making an odd noise, when we stripped it we couldn't believe it had made it to the garage. The Belts themselves rarely give in, it's usually a tensioner or water pump pulley

But you keep refering to that fact because it's an Alfa you must abide by the 36k rule and now you're talking about a Golf? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

166man wrote: »
    I'd get it done as soon as you can Confab, if the belt goes on you it's going to ruin a really nice car. At least having it done will give you peace of mind for the next while and any potential owner should you sell in the next two years.

I agree, but realistically it's going to be another 3 months/2000miles minimum until it gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There's a HUGE amount of talk on here these days about Alfas and their "unreliable" reputation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

But you keep refering to that fact because it's an Alfa you must abide by the 36k rule and now you're talking about a Golf? :P

I'll talk about what I want lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

There's a HUGE amount of talk on here these days about Alfas and their "unreliable" reputation!

It all started with one person saying something into an Octavia boot and now we're just hearing the never ending echo...

:pac:

That's because on the most part, they're fairly unreliable. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy buy one that can't work on them.
    I'll talk about what I want lol!

Lyons tea must of put "sh1te talk" in their tea they sold you rather than girl talk :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

That's because on the most part, they're fairly unreliable. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy buy one that can't work on them.

Ah here we go again on about most Alfa's being unreliable... They're fairly reliable from experience that is the old and newer Alfa's. A good indy mechanic will sort out an Alfa no bother, I certainly wouldn't not recommend one because the buyer wasn't mechanically minded like myself for example..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

In other news, has johnos calmed his saab horn? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

In other news, has johnos calmed his saab horn? :D

Possibly,suggestions for a new name

• Advertisement

Ah here we go again on about most Alfa's being unreliable... They're fairly reliable from experience that is the old and newer Alfa's. A good indy mechanic will sort out an Alfa no bother, I certainly wouldn't not recommend one because the buyer wasn't mechanically minded like myself for example..:D

Ah they are though, everyone that I've ever met that has one I always ask how do they find it. I'm not generalizing or spouting what I've read on other forums.

Doesn't take away from the fact that they're a fantastic car to drive, and fantastic looking in most cases.

GaryITR - Puts the sh!te into tea

Pistons Out, Off Topic In

Stop Driving, Start Chatting

The Ardennes1944 OT Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah they are though, everyone that I've ever met that has one I always ask how do they find it. I'm not generalizing or spouting what I've read on other forums.

Doesn't take away from the fact that they're a fantastic car to drive, and fantastic looking in most cases.

I only speak from what has happened in our own family where there has been two 156's, two 159's and a 166. All cars except the 166 with it's odd small problems have been great. In fact looking back on the 166 nothing ever went wrong with any of the major mechanicals engine,gearbox,clutch, exhaust. But then again each car is different and treated differently so obviously it's understandable that some people have better experiences than others.

In general though I think the ''unreliable Alfa's'' phrase is blown out of proportion..:)

How about "Spout it Out"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

How about "Spout it Out"

No :pac:

No :pac:

Well feck you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Funnily enough, i read this as a suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

''No Midnight Club''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I only speak from what has happened in our own family where there has been two 156's, two 159's and a 166. All cars except the 166 with it's odd small problems have been great. In fact looking back on the 166 nothing ever went wrong with any of the major mechanicals engine,gearbox,clutch, exhaust. But then again each car is different and treated differently so obviously it's understandable that some people have better experiences than others.

In general though I think the ''unreliable Alfa's'' phrase is blown out of proportion..:)

On saying that, my clutch is starting to judder in the mornings on takeoff in first :( I really doubt it's contamination though.

Your sample pools are fairly limited though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I just bought an Alfa and fcuk the begrudgers! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

''No Midnight Club''

Speak of the devil. Haven't seen him in a while. Where's he gone ?

MugMugs wrote: »

Good question. haven't seen him around myself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Let me get this right... You want to see men wrestle in the mud?

Who said, I'd be watching ? But you've got to wonder about your imagination :D

/M

Marlow will be too busy trying to keep people out of the driver's seat of the M5 to do anything else :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Marlow will be too busy trying to keep people out of the driver's seat of the M5 to do anything else :D

Can't promise, that that is, what I'll turn up in.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Prison.

Good question. haven't seen him around myself either.

He's banned I believe.

RoverJames wrote: »
    He's banned I believe.

By god, what for?

• Advertisement

By god, what for?

Do you really have to ask that :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement