Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Do you really have to ask that :P

Haha well to be honest, I haven't a clue as to why! Did he post a video of himself having sex with his Civic or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Good name choice!! Long time lurker 1st time poster!

Since all the talk is about Alfas just that 166 in the bangernomics thread with the 2.5 V6 for 800 quid has me pondering a few months with that would be sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Isnt that how those skangers reproduce :pac:

I'd probably put money on some kid somewhere being called Civic, maybe even with an older brother called Integra... :D

Edit: Turns out the Yanks (is that a surprise?) may have the upper edge here: http://www.nancy.cc/2008/02/12/unusual-baby-names-in-georgia-dextrose-iceland-manatee-teflon/ but slightly unrelated who names their kid Manatee?! Evil evil people, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

RoverJames wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    Speak of the devil. Haven't seen him in a while. Where's he gone ?
    Good question. haven't seen him around myself either.

He's banned I believe.

Shame :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Your sample pools are fairly limited though.

Well that's true but still having had 5 Alfa's in the family since 2002, and nothing major going wrong with any of them that has to mean something about Alfa reliability right?

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    Well that's true but still having had 5 Alfa's in the family since 2002, and nothing major going wrong with any of them that has to mean something about Alfa reliability right?

I think you're the first person I have witnessed actually defending the reliability aspect of an Alfa.

Generally it goes along the lines of "Great car but just don't rely on it"

Now I like Alfa's.... I wouldn't be running out to buy one tomorrow but I admire them. But the best treated Alfa out there will still fail for some inane reason at some stage of it's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Oooh how did i miss all this Alfa talk? :p

I havn't had the 166 long but i can't help the silly grin when i see it at the front of the house :D

It hasn't failed to start. The only issues are the airbag lights come on and go off when they please (i suspect a duff battery). Sidelights have the same issue and the dipped beams are rubbish :(

Sure its awkward in places to work with (eg plug change, clutch bleed) and parts are hideously expensive but at the end of the day, its worth it :)

My dad used to have a Giulietta (the original rwd version) now that was a real Alfa with real design flaws :cool:

Its the same story with Fiat, "oh theyre unreliable, oh theyre rubbish," people absolutely hate it when i rescue them with the van (towing, jump starting etc). One Bravo i had jump started... a lorrey once. The Corolla that was being used to jump it comitted suicide after just a few minutes. The lorrey barely turned anyway :rolleyes:

I think you're the first person I have witnessed actually defending the reliability aspect of an Alfa.

Now I like Alfa's.... I wouldn't be running out to buy one tomorrow but I admire them. But the best treated Alfa out there will still fail for some inane reason at some stage of it's life.

Why wouldn't I defend their reliability? Most of the stories of unreliability I hear from people who have never owned one or driven one. I understand some of their cars were dodgy reliability wise but sure that happens with every manufacturer, VW with the Passat TDI for example.

Newer Alfas are also just as reliable as many other cars these days. My old mans 159 JTDm that I'm driving at the moment has just passed 40k km and in that time has had 2 front tyres and two oil changes. If that isn't reliability then I don't know what is.

Do you really have to ask that :P

I'm in the same boat as MetzgerMeister to be honest, not a clue as to why he's banned, no doubt there was a reason(s) though.

Nope, not a thing imo.
    You reckon Rover's a sh1t due to your Aunt having a troublesome one at some stage iirc.
    .................... My old mans 159 JTDm that I'm driving at the moment has just passed 40k km and in that time has had 2 front tyres and two oil changes. If that isn't reliability then I don't know what is.
    The fact you reckon 40k km on a new diesel without issue is a decent reflection of reliability says a lot really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

My old mans 159 JTDm that I'm driving at the moment has just passed 40k km and in that time has had 2 front tyres and two oil changes. If that isn't reliability then I don't know what is.
    To be fair, and I like Alfa's, but I wouldn't go around touting that as a "proof of reliability" story. I'd call that normal.

• Advertisement

Nope, not a thing imo.
    You reckon Rover's a sh1t due to your Aunt having a troublesome one at some stage iirc.

The fact you reckon 40k km on a new diesel without issue is a decent reflection of reliability says a lot really.

You do remember correctly RJ, It was a Rover 400 I think and it was a light blue, and all it ever was according to her was trouble. She then changed to a Alfa 156 in 1999. I don't reckon they are all sh1t cars I just don't like them, maybe I should have a go in an MG V6 first though..:D

I think 40k km in an Alfa with the reputation they have isn't too bad at all. There isn't a rattle or squeak to be heard either. I also think 135k km in a 166 isn't too bad, and 122k km in a 156 not bad either.:)

Edit: I suppose 40k km isn't the ''proof or reliability'' story as Tea points out, but still all I'm trying to say is that they are better than people think, got carried away a bit though :D

I think 40k km in an Alfa with the reputation they have isn't too bad at all. There isn't a rattle or squeak to be heard either. I also think 135k km in a 166 isn't too bad, and 122k km in a 156 not bad either.:)....................

135k kms and 122k kms are relatively low mileage cars :)
    Even in miles as opposed to kms those wouldn't be noteworthy really.

RJ just out of curiosity, didn't you say before you used to work in an Alfa dealership? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

dgt wrote: »
    RJ just out of curiosity, didn't you say before you used to work in an Alfa dealership? Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Nope, not me.

I did say I was often in the workshop of a Fiat/Alfa dealership full to the brim of 156s under warranty whilst a few yards away the salesmen were telling folk that the 156 would be reliable and Alfa had sorted all the reliability issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Anybody hear about the a-hole who stole a car in Cork City, then crashed it into an on-coming car and fled the scene?

Here is what happened to him......http://irishexaminer.com/ireland/suspected-car-thief-jumps-35ft-onto-railway-line-after-crash-injures-couple-179476.html

Pity Karma doen't work as quick all the time!!

Nope, not me.

I did say I was often in the workshop of a Fiat/Alfa dealership full to the brim of 156s under warranty whilst a few yards away the salesmen were telling folk that the 156 would be reliable and Alfa had sorted all the reliability issues.

Thats the one, recalls were springing to mind...

First hand experience of many different cars so! Would problems be electric or mechanical?

I found a lot of 156s I see in scrapyards have little/no rust protection underneath thus the floors would go completely rotten after about 10 years. Same with 146s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I sold my 2003 156 last October on the day it passed it's test with 168,000 miles on it. Nothing broke on it and nothing fell off in the 3 years I had it. Just regular maintainence over the course of 70k. I wouldn't spend any "real" money on one but I couldn't really fault it and will have another (prob for herself or as a toy) in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anybody hear about the a-hole who stole a car in Cork City, then crashed it into an on-coming car and fled the scene?

Here is what happened to him......http://irishexaminer.com/ireland/suspected-car-thief-jumps-35ft-onto-railway-line-after-crash-injures-couple-179476.html

Pity Karma doen't work as quick all the time!!

Worthy of its own thread! If only life worked like that all the time is right!

135k kms and 122k kms are relatively low mileage cars :)
    Even in miles as opposed to kms those wouldn't be noteworthy really.

Ok then 84k miles in 6 years in a 166 with little to no problems is reliable in my books. Same to the 156 and hopefully the same will happen with the 159.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Found one of dgt's adds on donedeal :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2459926

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Special place in my heart for these

Full?id=9352610

But a tad overpriced me thinks.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/donedeal/classifieds/viewFullPhoto.jsp?cid=9352610&ad=2869490

Wonder how many miles are on it. Poxy Kerry. Bumper looks odd.

Thats the one, recalls were springing to mind...

First hand experience of many different cars so! Would problems be electric or mechanical?

I found a lot of 156s I see in scrapyards have little/no rust protection underneath thus the floors would go completely rotten after about 10 years. Same with 146s

I wasn't working in the workshop :)
    This was around 00, most of the issues were the tensioners and folks complaining of oil consumption, also there were a fair few in with drive shaft vibration too from what I remember and the selespeed gave issues from new too in lots of cases. Nothing electrical from what I remember the lads in there saying.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Found one of dgt's adds on donedeal :D

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/2459926

If I had the space I'd take the Jag and the E32 :D

I'm nearly sure that the Volvo came from near Ardee, I used to pass a house that had a silver Volvo that was also 89KE. It disappeared a few years ago, I think thats it. Good to know that it still lives and wasn't scrapped :)

I wasn't working in the workshop :)
    This was around 00, most of the issues were the tensioners and folks complaining of oil consumption, also there were a fair few in with drive shaft vibration too from what I remember and the selespeed gave issues from new too in lots of cases. Nothing electrical from what I remember the lads in there saying.

Selespeed wasn't their brightest idea... Driveshaft vibration, thats new to me :pac: I'm surprised there wasn't more recalls for plastic impellers on the water pumps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Wow Alfa's are takin some abuse on this thread.

Feel like I must come in and stand up for them a bit.

I owned an Alfa GT for 2 years. Only recently traded it in.

Only major work that had to be done on it was a clutch about 80k miles when I bought it.

Window regulator had to be done as well.

Other than that it was only routine servicing done by the "Auto Maintenance" (Alfa Dealer/Servicing based in Finglas) http://www.finglasfiat.com/ - A great garage to deal with on a side note.

Only reason I didnt buy another alfa is the lack of decent 159's about.

But I have no doubt that I will own another at some point in the future.

Like any car look after it, service it and it'll work. Dont look after it and dont service it and it'll give you plenty of hassle.

I had a Passat before that obviously hadnt been looked after before I bought it, bit of a lemon and it just gave problem after problem from a puddle in the footwell to window regs etc, etc..

Anyway come on ALFA's!!!!! God I miss my GT already. :(

Wow Alfa's are takin some abuse on this thread. .............

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

That's because on the most part, they're fairly unreliable. I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy buy one that can't work on them.

Lyons tea must of put "sh1te talk" in their tea they sold you rather than girl talk :P
    Ah they are though, everyone that I've ever met that has one I always ask how do they find it. I'm not generalizing or spouting what I've read on other forums.

Doesn't take away from the fact that they're a fantastic car to drive, and fantastic looking in most cases.

Nope, not me.

Selespeed wasn't their brightest idea... Driveshaft vibration, thats new to me :pac: I'm surprised there wasn't more recalls for plastic impellers on the water pumps

Maybe abuse was a bit of a harsh way of putting it.

The whole unreliability debate about Alfa's just gets to me.

Not saying any of the people quoted here havent owned an Alfa's but my god the amount of people I know that heard I owned an Alfa and thought it was going to spontaniously combust without ever owning one was frightening. Their faces went like this :eek: when I told them I bought one.
    Most drive VAG's and Toyotas as they "bulletproof"

Little different here though I would imagine/hope.

Don't take it personally fella. We're just shooting the breeze. If its any conciliation, I personally think all car makes are sh!te :)

Not saying any of the people quoted here havent owned an Alfa's................

I'll hold my hand up and say I've never owned one :)
    Wouldn't rule it out though, I'd like a GTV or a 2.0 or 2.5 V6 156.

• Advertisement

Maybe abuse was a bit of a harsh way of putting it.

The whole unreliability debate about Alfa's just gets to me.

Not saying any of the people quoted here havent owned an Alfa's but my god the amount of people I know that heard I owned an Alfa and thought it was going to spontaniously combust without ever owning one was frightening. Their faces went like this :eek: when I told them I bought one.
    Most drive VAG's and Toyotas as they "bulletproof"

Note I said mine hasn't failed to start, despite the completely wrong battery being supplied with the car ;) the plastic impeller water pump isn't limited to Alfas either (have failed on quite a few BMWs iirc). All cars have their design flaws.

The main problem is its old and bits are going brittle. The window buttons are broke, key is very very flimsy, wonkey suspension components, central locking does not work, strange pool of water in the footwell, pipes breaking with age etc. Just some of its problems. I just need the time and parts to sort out these niggles. Apart from a new clutch and timing belt kit it's nothing too major to sort.

My E34 which is 10 years older is much more robust in that sense but quite often fails to start due to bad wiring and a failing distributor. The 280SE never fails to start (after lying in a barn for over 10 years it started on the button after a new fuel pump, the ultimate reliable car) but its an electric nightmare and rusty. My 166 does not suffer the majority of the problems with the other cars.

If there was a car that was 100% reliable, I certainly wouldn't buy it. Where's the fun in that? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement