Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Has anybody noticed how cheap Audi TT`s are now? The higher powered ones are tempting me.

Just noticed that. I want one. Another contender for next car! It'll be at least 18 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Has anybody noticed how cheap Audi TT`s are now? The higher powered ones are tempting me.

Have you driven one? The remapped 225's are very fast, they're a good fun car to drive. Mid to late 20's is what the mother gets from hers (28 average) and that's just potting around town (180bhp quattro).

The 4wd system leaves a lot to be desired, though. I reckon good ones will always make good money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

The 4wd system leaves a lot to be desired, though. I reckon good ones will always make good money.
    Slow to respond? Or troublesome?
    Have to say, a remapped one picked up for cheap could be interesting at some stage down the road. There's a local low mileage one (180) here that's never seen over 3k revs I'd say...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

While talking to a friend of mine I hadn't seen in ages, I asked him "who are those 2 friends a yours that added me on facebook? Ya know, the 2 thats married as their status to each other, the ones into lesbian buttse...." only tu turn round in mid sentence to find yer one, who I was talking about, standing 2 feet away from me....

So I done the sensible thing, hopped into my car, drove home, changed clothes and car and came back to pretend the whole thing didn't happen :) which kinda worked for a little while... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I did some driver instruction in the 180bhp and I was very impressed. I had heard all sorts of bad things about them being crap to drive. The 4wd drive is a bonus, they are going for 3-4k on donedeal for the 225bhp ones.

Irish people's inability to actually adhere to manufacturers service schedule means lots of quattros never saw new rear diff oil.
    I'd love one but this is always in the back of my mind,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I'm currently thinking of buying a pre 2000 Mini. There only seems to be a few for sale in Ireland - so I'm wondering where would I get my hands on a decent one?

I'm looking for a nicely done up one - think Italian Job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Confab wrote: »
    Does anyone else have dreams about their car breaking down? Get them all the time since I bought the Alfa.

I Have one, its about my keys falling down a drain started since the spare key stopped working! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Haha. I had a dream about my car being stolen recently and even more recently one about a friend crashing it. I only remember seeing the damage to the side of it and asking "what were you doing driving it?!"

So yeah, some subconscious car anxiety is alive and well it would seem.

Shane732 wrote: »
    I'm currently thinking of buying a pre 2000 Mini. There only seems to be a few for sale in Ireland - so I'm wondering where would I get my hands on a decent one?

I'm looking for a nicely done up one - think Italian Job!!

Owen is involved in the Classic Mini scene I think, he might be worth a PM :)
    I think from the mid/late 90s to run out they were all Coopers with nice arches, interiors and 13" minilites, rust would be the main worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

RoverJames wrote: »
    Owen is involved in the Classic Mini scene I think, he might be worth a PM :)
    I think from the mid/late 90s to run out they were all Coopers with nice arches, interiors and 13" minilites, rust would be the main worry.

From 1997 to 2000 were the run out model with the 1.3 Mpi engine. This was available with the Sport and Sport + pack that had the wide arch extensions, leather interior, wood trim and so on.
    The amount of mods available for Mini's is endless. Can't wait to get one.

• Advertisement

Ah crap. I finally connected the car up to the laptop via the EOBD port and the mileage is 5500 miles higher then it is on the odo :( Which is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Donedeal acting up for anyone? The ads are loading but with no photos..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah crap. I finally connected the car up to the laptop via the EOBD port and the mileage is 5500 miles higher then it is on the odo :( Which is right?

Does that put the car in timing belt changing territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ongarite wrote: »

Works grand for me.

166man wrote: »

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Yep.

Ah feck that man, sorry to hear. Have you any comeback or has the seller vanished completely?:(

Ah feck that man, sorry to hear. Have you any comeback or has the seller vanished completely?:(

Nah the seller is around. The ECU also says the mileage hasn't been overwritten and there is a problem on pre-CANBUS Alfas where odo and ECU mileage are calculated separately, leading to a 4-6% discrepancy. Alsp, a bit more checked shows up lots of other people having the same issue with FiatECUScan. Could be clocked, then again maybe not.

Frankly, I don't have the money to change the cambelt until June so it's cambelt bingo from here on in.

Can't imagine someone clocking a car 5000 miles lads.

Nah the seller is around. The ECU also says the mileage hasn't been overwritten and there is a problem on pre-CANBUS Alfas where odo and ECU mileage are calculated separately, leading to a 4-6% discrepancy. Alsp, a bit more checked shows up lots of other people having the same issue with FiatECUScan. Could be clocked, then again maybe not.

Frankly, I don't have the money to change the cambelt until June so it's cambelt bingo from here on in.

If they were going to clock it surely they'd make it worth their while and take more than 5500 miles off it?

It still sucks, but it sounds like a problem with how the car records the mileage rather than fowl play.

Best of luck with it man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

+1, it would be pointless for the risk.

Confab, a Gates belt and tensioner should only be 60/70 quid from a motor factors, and a half decent indy should have it changed in a few hours.

I'd try to find the 250 quid or so from somewhere and get it done sooner than later. I'm in a similar boat at the minute, I can't really afford it but I may get it done soon cos I don't know when it was last changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

When rebuilding my first Bravo, I used the clocks from a later Bravo in it. Original clocks were 56k miles, new clocks were 53k miles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

June!?

Cut costs somewhere else and get it done ASAP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You should be using adverts, it's way better.

On an unrelated note I started my new job in adverts.ie today. Still slinging car parts and organising work though on my own time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yep.

It's better to change the timing belt 5000 miles too early, than 5000 miles to late. Either way, at that milage you knew, it had to be changed soon.

Any car, that I'm not 100% sure about, when the timing belt was done, it gets done immidiatly. No messing about.

And a 5500 mile difference has nothing to do with clocking. It's most likely something that's down to some internals. It's an Alfa FFS.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

draffodx wrote: »
    June!?

Cut costs somewhere else and get it done ASAP!!

+1

You're on borrowed time with that car. Fuel light bingo is fun, cambelt bingo is just plain silly, especially on an Alfa.

Get it changed or try break even on selling it and buy something that doesn't require work. You can always buy another one in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same here (safari)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    You should be using adverts, it's way better.

On an unrelated note I started my new job in adverts.ie today. Still slinging car parts and organising work though on my own time

Seriously? Best of luck with it man!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Same here (safari)

Same here on frefox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Mobile apps perfect.

• Advertisement

Pictures no longer loading, seems slow atm too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement