Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

Same here on frefox.

Vodafone BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

That lad that bumped the old thread last nite selling his 98 Punto for nearly 5k is getting some stick on Adverts...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,955 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Confab why would you buy a car that's approaching a belt change without having finances for the change?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

-Corkie- wrote: »
    That lad that bumped the old thread last nite selling his 98 Punto for nearly 5k is getting some stick on Adverts...:D

Your first offer actually made me laugh out loud. (I refuse to use the shorthand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

ongarite wrote: »
    Donedeal acting up for anyone? The ads are loading but with no photos..

Yep, exactly as you described it. On chrome here
    -Corkie- wrote: »

Linky please :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So it's a glanza without the reliability and 3 times the price. Yes please...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

"how many head gaskets per gallon does it do?"

Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Quazzie wrote: »
    Confab why would you buy a car that's approaching a belt change without having finances for the change?

I bought it with 69k on the clock with a change due at 76k. That's ten months of driving for me. I can get it done cheaply for €250 or according to Alfa specs for €440 (using the right cam locking tools, an Alfa expert and no Tippex). So having it done correctly in five months is more important that having it done badly tomorrow. These engines do not take well to the usual cambelt change method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Had a really enjoyable weekend....dublin is much nicer than i thought! Went to howth today to the 'summit' and came back through what i can only assume is the the richest part of dublin if not ireland, the cars!:eek:

colm_mcm wrote: »
    So it's a glanza without the reliability and 3 times the price. Yes please...

Hose failure, rot, hot starting issues... :eek:

2 years building that? I built my Bravo in 3 months, from a shell (except the subframe, rack and column) and had to strip another one in the process, all while in college. What took him so long???

Has he heard of depreciation? You never get the full amount back. Clearly not

There are quicker, better condition GT2s and GT3s in the UK for less than a third of that. I'd feel more comfortable getting one of those

Test the market? A grand, tops. I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy one either.

And as for rare car... My arse. He's never heard of Puntos by Giannani or Novitec built cars. Even these wouldn't command a 5k price tag :rolleyes:

Had a really enjoyable weekend....dublin is much nicer than i thought! Went to howth today to the 'summit' and came back through what i can only assume is the the richest part of dublin if not ireland, the cars!:eek:

Now go along the coast. Hop on the 3 or 46a ;)

I always go for drives up around the summit. Lovely road there all the way around without a traffic light at all until you come back down. Nice sweeping corners on the longer downhill route as well (towards the graveyard side).

Was this your first time in Dublin?

And where would that bring me?

And where would that bring me?

It brings you round the less seen parts of southside Dublin, where all the really exotic and expensive cars reside. My Alfa came from Stillorgan for example :)

You get the 3 and the 46a on O Connel st. Just get a rambler card and go absolutely nuts on the busses :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Confab wrote: »
    I bought it with 69k on the clock with a change due at 76k. That's ten months of driving for me. I can get it done cheaply for €250 or according to Alfa specs for €440 (using the right cam locking tools, an Alfa expert and no Tippex). So having it done correctly in five months is more important that having it done badly tomorrow. These engines do not take well to the usual cambelt change method.

When was it last done? It's mileage or time. And if someone has the tools and is remotely competent I'd prefer it done by them rather than waiting for an Alfa expert.

dgt wrote: »
    It brings you round the less seen parts of southside Dublin, where all the really exotic and expensive cars reside. My Alfa came from Stillorgan for example :)

You get the 3 and the 46a on O Connel st. Just get a rambler card and go absolutely nuts on the busses :D

Unfortunately im back in cork now and back to suckyness again :(

3 observations from dublin:
    They actually know how to drive there
    They feckin love their 520d's
    Theres a sickening amount of taxis

Confabers old boy, you knew feck well that car is due if not overdue a belt, the 5500 miles issue is insignificant :)
    Many indies will have the cam locking tools anyway, shop around.

Dublin is a class spot, I'd happily head up that way for a 2nd stint.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

EPM wrote: »
    When was it last done? It's mileage or time. And if someone has the tools and is remotely competent I'd prefer it done by them rather than waiting for an Alfa expert.

+1 it's three years or 36k miles, if you'd the service history you could date it.

My mechanic is an indy (albeit with a mate in an alfa garage) he doesn't like having to do my timing belt, but he does it, and had one alfa owner as a client whom he repeatedly warned about the belt, then their belt snapped as they were saving up for it.

Result? the clients mate putting in a new engine, and the bloke buying a dirt cheap ill maintained alfa shortly after.

They are cheap to buy but need maintenance.

• Advertisement

What would you people choose out of an s60/40 s/x type or 95/93?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What would you people choose out of an s60/40 s/x type or 95/93?

Depending on spec

9 5 would be the best bang for buck if you went for the 2.3, a good x type is still a tad pricey and there's loads of badly specced ones about, S types don't do it for me, the Volvo models are not to my taste either unless of the t5 variety.

Theyre all quite nice looking imo but they all have rather poor interiors with the exception of the s40 imo. They offer a lot of kit and comfort for a fraction of ze germans

Not for me btw 3 of the cars were in a row on donedeal is all

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

Nah the seller is around. The ECU also says the mileage hasn't been overwritten and there is a problem on pre-CANBUS Alfas where odo and ECU mileage are calculated separately, leading to a 4-6% discrepancy. Alsp, a bit more checked shows up lots of other people having the same issue with FiatECUScan. Could be clocked, then again maybe not.

Frankly, I don't have the money to change the cambelt until June so it's cambelt bingo from here on in.

For anyone else here other than Confab, he bought the Alfa from me, and frankly I dont appreciate it that he has said the car could have been clocked.

I have been nothing but helpful to him have told him the ins and outs of the car, and even commented on the fact that the timing belt was due when he was viewing the car. I dont appreciate the light in which he is reflecting his view upon me. Sure what would it be worth to me to clock it back 5,000 miles?

I consider myself to be very genuine and would never ever try to rip anyone off. Confab knew, or should have known exactly what he was buying. I sold him a straight car with no problems, just due a timing belt/cambelt interval.

I myself have been driving the car for the past 2 years after receiving it off my father, a poster on boards which some of you may know, Makikomi. And any of you who may know him can vouch for his character also.

I sold the car as I could not afford the costs associated with an Alfa, and I think you too should have considered this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

I'll boil the kettle lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nah the seller is around. The ECU also says the mileage hasn't been overwritten and there is a problem on pre-CANBUS Alfas where odo and ECU mileage are calculated separately, leading to a 4-6% discrepancy. Alsp, a bit more checked shows up lots of other people having the same issue with FiatECUScan. Could be clocked, then again maybe not.

Frankly, I don't have the money to change the cambelt until June so it's cambelt bingo from here on in.

Listen up pal.. That car was given to KEVVV by me, I'm his father.

Start choosing your words very carefully from here on in.

And I'll be honest about something, from the moment he sold that car to you I told him he'd rue the day YOU bought it.

He sold it so he could afford a little Fiesta run around, it broke his heart to let it go and now we read this rubbish.. My gut feelings on you were right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Kevvv wrote: »
    For anyone else here other than Confab, he bought the Alfa from me, and frankly I dont appreciate it that he has said the car could have been clocked.

I did not accuse you of clocking the car. I just said it might've been clocked. The car is straight, genuine and running well, but I simply wanted the Motors regulars opinions on this issue. I do agree that it's unlikely and as I highlighted in one of my posts above, FiatECUScan can report mileage incorrectly. End of story.
    Listen up pal.. That car was given to KEVVV by me, I'm his father.

Start choosing your words very carefully from here on in.

Again, I accused him of nothing and he's been very helpful, I merely pointed out a possibility and wanted an opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Probably best for all 3 to take it to pm's in fairness given people are getting worked up over it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Probably best for all 3 to take it to pm's in fairness given people are getting worked up over it

Are you a moderator here now?.. Confab put this into the public domain and he can stand by, or fall by his words as far as I'm concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement