Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***ALL OT CHAT HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Wasn't the BMW front wheel drive thing developed in conjunction with Saab?
    Confab wrote: »
    The same BMW FWD concept that underpins the R75?

Even if that was the case, BMW would have that already. They wouldn't need to buy Saab for that :D It's the worst that ever happened to BMW (FWD that is).

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I haven't a clue but weren't BMW working on a small FWD car that involved Saab or Volvo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

johnos1984 wrote: »
    As Marlow points out they were already going to share parts.

the only two things I can see in it for them as another brand to insert between MINI and BMW, or even a budget brand of some kind. Also if they bought it then could just strip it and kill the brand..........removes the competition really

Maybe but its been a long long time since SAAB were any sort of competition for BMW.

I haven't a clue but weren't BMW working on a small FWD car that involved Saab or Volvo?

Volvo is traditionally RWD for their larger cars. And Saab hasn't done any real development since the involvement of GM.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Maybe but its been a long long time since SAAB were any sort of competition for BMW.
    It was a long time since Skoda were seen as a mainstream car too but with teh right partnership it worked ;)

Maybe BMW are worried by the influx of the Chinese with Volvo

• Advertisement

It was a long time since Skoda were seen as a mainstream car too but with teh right partnership it worked ;)

Maybe BMW are worried by the influx of the Chinese with Volvo

Different stories entirely. The Chinese owning Volvo brings them on a different continent.

Saab is only 1, max 2 borders away from Saab and on the same continent.

Unless Saab has some patents, that would be usefull to BMW, I can not see any point of them buying Saab. And the fighter-jet division of Saab is a different company, so they wouldn't get access to that nor the technology of that either.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just made awesome pancakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

There appears to be substance to this

http://www.saabsunited.com/2012/02/we-will-have-to-wait-and-see.html#more-37717

My source is in the know as regards this stuff so I trust what he tells me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

got some free range eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not as awesome as mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

One for the fan bois, a northern customer came into the shop today, in a brand new white m-sport 530d with 19" double spoke alloys, with full UK demo spec.

Had a quick look outside, its just an incredible car for the money. It was getting dark and the whole thing looked beyond amazing, with fabulous looking xenon headlights, led lit door handles, ambient interior lighting, glinting wheels etc. I opened one of the doors and it was light as a feather yet closed with a satisfactory clunk. In the right spec, it would make you wonder why the 7 is twice the price.

Marlow wrote: »
    Volvo is traditionally RWD for their larger cars. And Saab hasn't done any real development since the involvement of GM.

/M

The Volvo C30 is FWD, now that I think of it, the BMW was closely based on that so I was totally wrong with the Saab connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Not as awesome as mine.

Mine are down an hour now haven't puked them back up so I class my cookery session a success :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The Volvo C30 is FWD, now that I think of it, the BMW was closely based on that so I was totally wrong with the Saab connection.

Thats not a Volvo though, its a Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Explain it to him in a way he'll understand!

It's a Mazda 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

EPM wrote: »
    Explain it to him in a way he'll understand!

It's a Mazda 3!

No, it's a Mocus. Or a Fazda.

I said traditionally. Volvo 850's are FWD, too. The old 240, 260, 740, 760, 940, 960 etc. are all RWD. And the original diesel engines in most of them are VW :)

Correct. All current Volvo's are based on Fords platform. The only difference in the Ford/Volvo relationshop vs. the GM/Saab one being, that the engineers at Volvo still do design and development.

For example the Volvo modular engine sits in various Fords actually. So it goes both ways.

Saab was forced to take what GM had in the program and not allowed to do much development themselves, if any.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

If the weather is ok tomorrow I'm going to take the coilovers out of my car to clean and grease them, trackday on Tuesday so need to do a bit of prep work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for that. I'm not checking there on a daily or even weekly basis. That Tim lad is usually very close to where it's at.
    BMW were brought to the brink by taking over Rover in 1994.

What makes you think that? The enormous commercial success of MINI alone was well worth the purchase price of Rover and all investments BMW made in the group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Going by the new thread title I must be the coolest guy around so :D

Going by the new thread title I must be the coolest guy around so :D

No. Because you're into motorbikes according to your username :) .. Ah well .. that sort of fits into motors, too.

/M

No. Because you're into motorbikes according to your username :) .. Ah well .. that sort of fits into motors, too.

/M

Where? The Homotorcyclists sub-forum?? :P

No. Because you're into motorbikes according to your username :)......
    /M

How do you work that one out? Not really into bikes tbh!

Beemer/Beamer = nickname for BMW motorbikes
    Bimmer = nickname for BMW cars

It's very specific like that.

Ever wondered, why the american BMW car forums are called bimmerboard / bimmerforum and not beemerboard / beemerforum :)

/M

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beemer

And the entries in the urbandictionary clearly show, that there's quite a few confused people out there, that didn't get it right either :)

/M

And the entries in the urbandictionary clearly show, that there's quite a few confused people out there, that didn't get it right either :)

/M

LOL :D

Ah I see. Used to wonder alright why US forums had bimmer in their titles, I used to think it was cause they always had to be different!

It was my uncle who called being a fan of BMWs beemer but then again he is from West Cork!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Anybody taken the dash/stereo out of a MKV Golf?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement