Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec SAB fault

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

Having trouble with alarm today. Bought a new battery for system on Friday only to realise that it was wrong size and panel wouldn't close.

Anyway powered up system with original battery and couldn't clear a Fault SAB 1. It won't leave engineer mode. So I got the ladder out and changed the two core around to different wires from SAB to control panel.

It sounded for a second but fault is still there. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

bbability wrote: »
    Having trouble with alarm today. Bought a new battery for system on Friday only to realise that it was wrong size and panel wouldn't close.

Anyway powered up system with original battery and couldn't clear a Fault SAB 1. It won't leave engineer mode. So I got the ladder out and changed the two core around to different wires from SAB to control panel.

It sounded for a second but fault is still there. Any ideas?

If you enter command 73 does the system see the bell. should be a 1 in there.
    I would try down powering the system, remove the battery link and mains fuse, then power it back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Yeah It's not seeing SAB. 0 on command 73

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ok time for some elimination.
    Check the connections both at the bell & the panel.
    If you have a multi meter check the continuity on the cable.
    If not take the external bell down along with the block on the base & wire it in at the panel. If it still fails to connect disconnect anything else from the bell bus & connect the external bell directly on its own.
    If it still fails to connect & the internal etc is working then the Evternal bell if probably faulty.

Yeah It's not seeing SAB. 0 on command 73

If the bell was working before you changed the battery you might has pulled the cable out. On some Astec system the bell cable is used for different devices before it gets to the bell. If this is the case for you ten you may have to revert to the cable that was already used for the bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's very easy to damage the panel by screwing the board back on without tucking the battery wires back in correctly. A spike from the board pierces the battery lead. When this happens it brings the bells down. No way of fixing it.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ok time for some elimination.
    Check the connections both at the bell & the panel.
    If you have a multi meter check the continuity on the cable.
    If not take the external bell down along with the block on the base & wire it in at the panel. If it still fails to connect disconnect anything else from the bell bus & connect the external bell directly on its own.
    If it still fails to connect & the internal etc is working then the Evternal bell if probably faulty.

Ok went through the above-mentioned.

Connections are ok. Continuity on cables. Just won't see SAB. Reckon the battery in the SAB is knackered. Must need a charge to kick start. The LED light stopped flashing over a year ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you take the bell down & connect it directly to the panel?

That will have to wait until Saturday weather permitting.
    The connection was fine when I checked it on Sunday. I changed the two core from the bell to panel and it went off for a few seconds. After that nothing..

Its sounding like the bell all right.
    If your replacing get a global bell with an interface. (Probably all thats available anyway) You will be able to use that if you upgrade in the future.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Its sounding like the bell all right.
    If your replacing get a global bell with an interface. (Probably all thats available anyway) You will be able to use that if you upgrade in the future.

Weighing up my options. Do I need to put a resistor in line to make new bell box work?

• Advertisement

No , using an Astec bell its just a pair . Polarity is irrelevant .
    Using an interface (If you managed to get your hand on one before HKC stopped production) its a pair to the panel & they all the regular SABB connections to the bell.

Weighing up my options. Do I need to put a resistor in line to make new bell box work?

When you say a new bell box do you mean a global sabb?

If you use the S22 you don't need the resistor.

If you cant source one let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damo82

altor wrote: »
    When you say a new bell box do you mean a global sabb?

If you use the S22 you don't need the resistor.

If you cant source one let me know.

I'm having this problem myself, I got my hands on an S22, do I take the resistor out of the HKC bell? If so does that core go into the left or right terminal of tamper return!!?

Damo82 wrote: »
    I'm having this problem myself, I got my hands on an S22, do I take the resistor out of the HKC bell? If so does that core go into the left or right terminal of tamper return!!?

You dont need the resistor in the bell if you use the S22.
    You just put the return cable in the right side of the terminal in the bell, not the return to panel on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Damo82

altor wrote: »
    You dont need the resistor in the bell if you use the S22.
    You just put the return cable in the right side of the terminal in the bell, not the return to panel on the left.

Great thanks altor.

Damo82 wrote: »
    Great thanks altor.

Your welcome :)

Advertisement