Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forestry as a sub-forum? [Poll Added]

• 21-11-2011 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi

maybe a good idea to give forestry its own sub-forum in the same vein as the smallholding SF?

This could aid clarity and ensure posts related to forestry that could be applicable to either farming & forestry forum or smallholding SF have its dedicated home.:)

Just a thought...

Shoule we have a Forestry Sub-Forum? 34 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    82% 28 votes
    I rarely contribute to forestry matters so having a forestry sub-forum is of little interest to me.
    17% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

+1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

+2

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Alibaba

treefan wrote: »
    Hi

maybe a good idea to give forestry its own sub-forum in the same vein as the smallholding SF?

This could aid clarity and ensure posts related to forestry that could be applicable to either farming & forestry forum or smallholding SF have its dedicated home.:)

Just a thought...

Good Idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alleyb

+ 4 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

+5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lads, we're working on it. We'll be back with further details later in the week

Forestry threads make up approximately 5% of the threads on the Farming and Forestry forum. Is this 5% enough to warrant a sub - forum?

EDIT: I didn't post the above to be critical, I posted it to gauge interest. So if its something that you want, let us know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As reilig says, forestry specific threads amount to about 5% of the total traffic here in F&F.
    While I personally would like for there to be a 'Forestry' specific forum, the Admins/Owners of Boards.ie are looking at a bigger picture: there are a LOT of forums on Boards.ie, and each extra one adds workload on the machinery and software. New/extra forums need to be viable in their own right.

So, at only 5% of current traffic, it'd be a hard sell for us to go to the Admins looking for a specific forum on the basis of the subject overwhelming the F&F forum.
    I'd like to think that a dedicated Forestry forum would attract (some) more interest and participation, but do you guys think it would do so by much?
    After all, it's you guys who'd be posting in it, if it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I vote for a separate Forestry forum..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Poll added

• Registered Users Posts: 39 treefan

Hi, can this be pinned for the duration of the poll taking so it retains visibility?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I see no need. It may tidy all threads into one spot but I like to read them if interesting, and putting them 'in a corner' will take them 'out of sight'. YMMV.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

oh, just thought by 'sticking' it on top page , it wouldnt be lost to page 3,4,5 etc

treefan wrote: »
    oh, just thought by 'sticking' it on top page , it wouldnt be lost to page 3,4,5 etc
    Just replying to get this back to page 1 from page 3.

How long will this poll run? If it going to be run for a while before a decision is taken it needs to be turned into a 'sticky'.

In the (approximately) 1 week since the poll was added to this thread, there have been 5 pages' worth of new/updated threads in this forum.

That's close to 100 threads. Exactly 1 has been on a forestry subject, and even that was arguably more of a general Farming or perhaps Smallholding thread.

That's dragging the rolling average DOWN from the 5% it was a week or so ago.

The 'forestry' traffic here simply isn't heavy enough to justify us going to the Admins looking for another forum. Not on the basis of overwhelming traffic, at any rate

The poll is showing a fair bit of support, but it's by no means unanimous.

The poll runs until December 1st, and I'll Sticky the thread until then, but we'll need reasonably strong arguments that it'll actually be used and useful to go to the Admins with.

Over to you guys ...

Rovi wrote: »
    In the (approximately) 1 week since the poll was added to this thread, there have been 5 pages' worth of new/updated threads in this forum.

That's close to 100 threads. Exactly 1 has been on a forestry subject, and even that was arguably more of a general Farming or perhaps Smallholding thread.

That's dragging the rolling average DOWN from the 5% it was a week or so ago.

The 'forestry' traffic here simply isn't heavy enough to justify us going to the Admins looking for another forum. Not on the basis of overwhelming traffic, at any rate

The poll is showing a fair bit of support, but it's by no means unanimous.

The poll runs until December 1st, and I'll Sticky the thread until then, but we'll need reasonably strong arguments that it'll actually be used and useful to go to the Admins with.

Over to you guys ...

Seems fair.

two of the smallholding SF threads are directly related to forestry if that adds any weight...

So what's the story on this. 1st December and all that..

Rovi wrote: »
    The poll is showing a fair bit of support, but it's by no means unanimous

Hey Guys. Y'all held a poll. 61% said go for it. Since when was unanimity needed to progress a change in a Democracy?

So by agreeing to hold the poll, and that poll providing the 61% result, it seems to me that the motion has been carried. A separate thread has to be set up.

We have more than enough examples of manipulated democracy being thrust in our faces every day at the moment; please let us not adopt such cynical disregard for the democratic process within this truly excellent and informative resource that we adopt happiness strategies to allow reasons for majority voted opinion to be buried.

Over to the Moderators now...

And obviously the designers / Developers. Thank you for your massive efforts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Woops did it not need 75% of votes to carry the motion. :D

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Hey Guys. Y'all held a poll. 61% said go for it. Since when was unanimity needed to progress a change in a Democracy?

So by agreeing to hold the poll, and that poll providing the 61% result, it seems to me that the motion has been carried. A separate thread has to be set up.

We have more than enough examples of manipulated democracy being thrust in our faces every day at the moment; please let us not adopt such cynical disregard for the democratic process within this truly excellent and informative resource that we adopt happiness strategies to allow reasons for majority voted opinion to be buried.

Over to the Moderators now...

And obviously the designers / Developers. Thank you for your massive efforts...

A couple of points by way of a bit of an update on this:

1. Boards.ie is NOT a democracy.
    It is a privately owned website and any changes to it are entirely at the discretion of the owners.
    If they approve a forum that only one person has an interest in, it will be created. Likewise, even if the entire membership of Boards.ie are clamouring for a new forum and the owners don't approve it, it won't be happening.

2. All that said, we've taken the proposal to the Admins and we weren't shot down out of hand. It's now in their hands for a Yes/No decision.
    As I said before, the Admins/Owners of Boards.ie are looking at a bigger picture: there are a LOT of forums on Boards.ie, and each extra one adds workload on the machinery and software. New/extra forums need to be viable in their own right.
    As of now, the vibes are broadly positive, but that is no guarantee whatsoever that the forum will be approved.

• Advertisement

Hi thanks for the update on this. The results of the poll was very encouraging so lets hope the admins see it that way.

Advertisement