Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gardai sieze 2 cars and make arrests onnewrath/sallypark dual carriage way at 12:45

• 21-11-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

12:45hrs, Sunday 21/11/11

I was heading the Limerick way out of waterford there today at about 12:45 and there was a queue of traffic just before the Newrath roundabout. Then I saw the Gardai had a checkpoint. There was a Garda squad car, and an unmarked car. They had pulled over 2 boyracer-y style cars - a black nissan hatchback (or similar) and a silver car.
    The Gardai had the drivers out and had them standing there. Two guys in early to mid 20's.
    Now, there were also two recovery trucks on the scene who started to lift the cars away.

It seems very unusual that they have the cars seized. What was this about does anyone know?
    Was it over drugs or anything?
    Was it a normal checkpoint or a planned interception of the individuals based on intel?
    Why were the cars seized? speed/drunk/dangerous driving?

It seemed to be a big hullabaloo out there and unusual so i'd be very curious to find out what happend and the circumstances sorrounding the events. I would wager on drinking, or drugs/dodgy fags being involved

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Might just have been tax/insurance/car defect issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Standard practise nowadays to lift vehicles if they are not taxed or insured,no harm either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lister_Petter

I didn't know they were doing that now for having no tax.

Still, could be more serious - two chavish looking buffoons in boyracer cars. There could be more to it yet.
    In any case, I hope they get the book thrown at them and get sompletely screwed over. I hate pov boyracers with a passion!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

There should be more of this activity , if your car doesn't purr like a kitten, take it away!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

If a car is out of Tax for more than three months they can seize it. If they also believe the car to be unroadworthy and want to perform a PSV test on it they can seize it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

They are there nearly every Sunday morning, I reckon it's to catch the people who have been out the night before and chancing driving home wile still under the influence.

hence the cars been taken away as you can't drive drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Lister_Petter

I knew it. Little sh!thead boyracers flying around fluthered off their skulls. Could be drug drivng too, I mean you never know with them. Long may their ban last. Proper order. +1 to the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dunno what it was about. Could be a simple tax thing ro it could be worse. Whatever it is I hope they're treated the same way as any other driver to be honest. Just because they where young and "chav looking" doesnt mean anything. Granted yeah some of the boy racers are complete tools but the majority I met over the years have been sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

That particular spot is a favourite for the gardai on Sunday mornings. I travel that road most Sundays usually between 11am and 1pm and see them more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

some people posting in this thread are seriously jumping the gun,
    could be a learner permit holder getting his car taking cause a few cops were been strict, im a lerner permit and work in kilkenny and drive the newrath road six days a week to aviod them, what should i do get my car taken off me and lose my job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

tobey wrote: »
    some people posting in this thread are seriously jumping the gun,
    could be a learner permit holder getting his car taking cause a few cops were been strict, im a lerner permit and work in kilkenny and drive the newrath road six days a week to aviod them, what should i do get my car taken off me and lose my job

Do your test like everybody else,it´s people like you flouting the law that is one reason insurance is so high in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I see Waterford is as full of nosy busybodies as ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

im a lerner permit and work in kilkenny and drive the newrath road six days a week to aviod them, what should i do get my car taken off me and lose my job

Legally you are not entitled to drive a car without a full license holder with you. I don't see why there should be exceptions to this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭blue note

I drove through it on Sunday with my girlfriend in her car. When we got into the queue she said **** and phoned her mother to ask her if she had taxed the car (car is just over a month old).

So I drove through with no tax and was waved on - I think they were looking for something else.

Do your test like everybody else,it´s people like you flouting the law that is one reason insurance is so high in this country.
    been waiting to sit it,
    and what should i do if i dont have a full licence driver, stop drinving and become unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Going off topic here slightly, but something needs to be done to address the 9 weeks or so waiting list that Waterford and elsewhere has to sit the test.

I remember when going through this myself I had to wait 2 or 3 weeks to sit a theory test. When I passed I was told that their printers were all broken so I would have to wait another 5 working days for the certificate to be posted out to me.

Once I got this I went in to the City Council offices, and was told I would need to wait up to 6 weeks to receive my license. At this point I lost patience, called by local Counciller, and had it in three days. To get to this stage it also cost me about €150 on top of all of that!

We have a farce of a system, so get off your high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Junior wrote: »
    If a car is out of Tax for more than three months they can seize it.

I think this has been changed to 2 months now not 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

In fairness lads, the waiting times are someway reasonable now. It was up at 36 weeks not too long ago. I wouldn't consider two months unreasonable.

If you don't have a full license and are driving a car without a fully licensed driver, you are breaking the law. Fair enough if you want to take that risk but you can't blame anybody else if it bites you in the ass.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    In fairness lads, the waiting times are someway reasonable now. It was up at 36 weeks not too long ago. I wouldn't consider two months unreasonable.

If you don't have a full license and are driving a car without a fully licensed driver, you are breaking the law. Fair enough if you want to take that risk but you can't blame anybody else if it bites you in the ass.

Yes but over two months waiting for a test on top of two months waiting for your provisional to be processed, on top of the 6 month minimum you've now got to spend on a provisional before you can apply for a test...very hard to get a full license within a year these days.

Very hard on people who's employment may have changed etc when they need to take that chance to secure employment. Its all well and good in a country with proper public transport infastructure, but in Ireland we don't have this. You can't even get a bus from the Dunmore Rd to the Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Yeah, I remember when it was much closer to a year. I think I waited almost 10 months for mine. The kids these days don't know how lucky they have it :)

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yes but over two months waiting for a test on top of two months waiting for your provisional to be processed, on top of the 6 month minimum you've now got to spend on a provisional before you can apply for a test...very hard to get a full license within a year these days.

Very hard on people who's employment may have changed etc when they need to take that chance to secure employment. Its all well and good in a country with proper public transport infastructure, but in Ireland we don't have this. You can't even get a bus from the Dunmore Rd to the Industrial Estate.

I've just gone through the online booking system for the theory test and there are two appointments available within a week and a half. If the printer is not broken, which I assume is more often than not, you get your cert there and then. You could apply for it now and have your cert next Monday.

I think there's good reason behind that minimum period in fairness. You'd need that length of time to get a decent amount of driving experience. Applying for your test once you've finished the 6 months and getting it in just over a couple of months isn't bad, whatever way you look at it.

The problem is our public transport system, I agree with you there. It is awful and forces the mentality we have here where you need a car to work. But it is there and, if you are to comply with the law and need to travel, that's what you've got to operate within. I'm sure there are also people more than willing to car pool to save money on petrol.
    letsbet wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember when it was much closer to a year. I think I waited almost 10 months for mine. The kids these days don't know how lucky they have it

Yeah I think mine wasn't too far off that either.

I've just gone through the online booking system for the theory test and there are two appointments available within a week and a half. If the printer is not broken, which I assume is more often than not, you get your cert there and then. You could apply for it now and have your cert next Monday.

Yeah, 6 weeks wait from City Council + 1.5 weeks = 7.5 weeks = around two months! Which was my original statement.

Add that to the 6 months, and the other 2 months waiting for a test...tell me how that is reasonable.

Anyway, this is gone off topic. God knows what those lads were done for.

Yeah, 6 weeks wait from City Council + 1.5 weeks = 7.5 weeks = around two months! Which was my original statement.

Add that to the 6 months, and the other 2 months waiting for a test...tell me how that is reasonable.

Anyway, this is gone off topic. God knows what those lads were done for.

Yeah but you said you had yours in three days so I reckon that 6 weeks is stated as a maximum and that it's never tha long. And I think 8 months from when you get your provisional is a reasonable amount of time to expect to be driving before sitting your test. I think yo're constantly learning when you're driving (although there a lot of people who are exceptions to this and who knows how they ever passed a driving test) so you should have to drive for a while before becoming a fully licensed driver.

Yeah it's off topic but i'm not sure there is a topic to be discussed here! :D

I reckon they're part of an internation drug smuggling operation and our top notch Gardaí apprehended them.

working as chef so getting to kilkenny is all right but cant get home as last bus is six o clock and train eight. seriously did you say find a job in waterford? the only thing anyone can seem to find in this town is herion as every **** is now on it, migh start begging and pick pocketiing like the romanians,

working as chef so getting to kilkenny is all right but cant get home as last bus is six o clock and train eight. seriously did you say find a job in waterford? the only thing anyone can seem to find in this town is herion as every **** is now on it, migh start begging and pick pocketiing like the romanians,

Hey chap posters on here are only internet strangers, you dont need to justify yourself by saying you cant get the bus/train. Im sure we all broke some kind of law in our lives. I done way worse than drive on a provisional/learner permit.

Yeah but you said you had yours in three days so I reckon that 6 weeks is stated as a maximum and that it's never tha long. And I think 8 months from when you get your provisional is a reasonable amount of time to expect to be driving before sitting your test. I think yo're constantly learning when you're driving (although there a lot of people who are exceptions to this and who knows how they ever passed a driving test) so you should have to drive for a while before becoming a fully licensed driver.

Christ, did you not read slightly further on in the sentence when I explained that I by-passes the system by pulling in a political favour? Standard wait time is 6 weeks.

Did you never drive unaccompanied as a learner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

To be lawful, yes. You have no driving license. A learner permit holder is not entitled to drive unaccompanied. Period.
    Its not the Police's problem if you work in Kilkenny. Get the train or something or else get a job in Waterford.

Another thing is insurance. Many insurance policies small print says that cover is provided to individuals with a valid license for that category of vehicle. While unaccompanied you permit is NOT VALID, thus you probably are not insured at all. If the police were feeling particularly fickle they could petentially do you for driving with no insurance as well as no license.
    If there was an accident, your insurance company would be overjoyed and throw the book at you and not cover anything. You would be personally liable for any damages. I know a guy who was not insured and was in an accident and was personally liable. He had to take out a loan to pay the damages and won't have it payed off for a very very long time.

So you have been warned. Stop driving illegally. Get a license, and stop whinging and looking for exceptions.

thats the biggest load of crap iv ever seen. some people who have learner permits can actually drive fairly well i know there is some who dont have a clue, its just alot of them are just plain lazy and in no hurry to get their full licenses because the license system in ireland says they can fail their driving test and still drive away on their permit and get it renewed its crazy that you can fail your test and still drive away from the test centre no matter how bad you did..but i dont think its fair to generalize when it comes to learner drivers driving unaccompanied... i live in kilkenny city work in waterford (am from waterford) and i see cars driving so stupidly on the motorway and these are the so called fully licensed drivers...its these twats who are driving premiums up not learner permit holders....some people who have full licenses think because they have it that they are great drivers.....it should be a subject in school get rid of religion and teach driver theory and basic practical driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

CiaranC wrote: »

the men gossiping here about the goings on around the town are like a pack of women :D.

Ah it's very tough alright lad. I'm just saying my bit surrounding the wait time for licenses etc. How long more do you have to wait by the way?

Christ, did you not read slightly further on in the sentence when I explained that I by-passes the system by pulling in a political favour? Standard wait time is 6 weeks.

Did you never drive unaccompanied as a learner?

Yeah, blessed as I am with the ability to read full sentences, I did see that part. I came to the conclusion that that phone call bypassed fcuk all and that the 6 week wait time is bull.

I did drive unaccompanied when I was a learner and I was breaking the law. It was a lot less severe then though. And, also, as previously mentioned, the wait time from me applying for my test was the bones of 9 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Delighted im moving to Galway, away from all this OAP crap of ''ohhh them damn boy racers and their drugs''. Seriously do you people have any friends or do you just sit around all day been ignorant to life? I'd love to sit outside yer house and the rev the crap out of a new shape Fiesta or Focus and see yee come on here saying ohhh boy racers :mad::mad: then id post up a picture of yer house and the car. Why do so many of yee judge people on the cars they drive, the clothes they wear or the way they look? If everyone looked like you, drove cars like you and lived in ignorant little lifes like you then live wouldn't be worth it.

DaleB91 wrote: »
    If everyone looked like you, drove cars like you and lived in ignorant little lifes like you then live wouldn't be worth it.
    If everyone was like me then everyone would be awesome and cool. On a motorbike of course, don't mind them car yokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

I hate pov boyracers with a passion!
    I am entitled to my opinion whether you agree with it or not. Why do young lads always get their knickers in a knot when you say something about their car and then judge someone else because they have anormal car. It's bizzare. Who cares man its just a friggin lump of metal and plastic.
    Well you can drive whatever and wear what ever you want but at the end of the day I will know that my life is better than yours
    Answer me this. How much money do you make?

I know I'd prefer not to have your life cos then I'd be a complete wa**er like you

Like what's your problem... how can you say your life is better than someone elses? And who cares how much money he makes or how much you make for that matter

Pathetic

And for the record I'm not a boy racer but I have absolutely no problem with lads who chose to spend their money on cars. Could be spent on a lot worse. Grand if they are breaking the law they should be punished but other than that they aren't doing any harm

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

And there it is. It's never far below the surface in this country is it. - begrudery angainst someone who has been more succesful in life.

That, sir, is what is

When you heading to the uk again. ?

And there it is. It's never far below the surface in this country is it. - begrudery angainst someone who has been more succesful in life.

That, sir, is what is pathetic.

How do you know you are more successful than me?

You don't know a single thing about me or about anyone else in this thread who you think you are better than

I wouldn't begrude anyone who is successful but I have a problem with you judging people based on the car they drive, how much they earn and thinking you are better than them

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Butternutz1

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Don't rise to him. He Comes across as a narrow minded person who has some kind of issue with Waterford/ Ireland. I actually feel sorry for him.

• Advertisement

Don't rise to him. He Comes across as a narrow minded person who has some kind of issue with Waterford/ Ireland. I actually feel sorry for him.

Your probably right. He seems like a bit of a troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Don't feed the troll.

Hahahahahahahahahaha you small minded idiot with obviously a crap life and crap money. Everyone can be big on the internet where they don't know each other. I actually have 3 wifes, all blonde with 34DD, drive a Ferrari Enzo during the week and am currently on 250k+ a year. Oh i feel so much better :D

Actually im a happy person, don't see happiness in having loads of money but no one liking me coz i act so silly on the internet that in real life im more then likely even worse. Gway and judge some more people with your perfect life, your wife thats probably having an affair and you offspring that'll turn out a dissapointment to you. Have a nice life friend. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i hope they were students from templers hall and hope they burn the cars

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

my car is better then your car
    my daddy would beat your daddy in a fight
    my willy has more hair then yours :D:D

grow up the pair of you, EEJITS

• Advertisement

i hope they were students from templers hall and hope they burn the cars

You have the cheek to call that person an eejit and you make statements like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

OP can't be serious at this stage...clearly just trying to wind people up so ignore them and they'll go away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

To be lawful, yes. You have no driving license. A learner permit holder is not entitled to drive unaccompanied. Period.
    Its not the Police's problem if you work in Kilkenny. Get the train or something or else get a job in Waterford.

Another thing is insurance. Many insurance policies small print says that cover is provided to individuals with a valid license for that category of vehicle. While unaccompanied you permit is NOT VALID, thus you probably are not insured at all. If the police were feeling particularly fickle they could petentially do you for driving with no insurance as well as no license.
    If there was an accident, your insurance company would be overjoyed and throw the book at you and not cover anything. You would be personally liable for any damages. I know a guy who was not insured and was in an accident and was personally liable. He had to take out a loan to pay the damages and won't have it payed off for a very very long time.

So you have been warned. Stop driving illegally. Get a license, and stop whinging and looking for exceptions.

I know someone who was involved in a very serious accident while driving on her learner's permit unaccompanied. She sustained horrific injuries and received a huge pay out from the insurance company. The fact that she was driving unaccompanied didn't even enter into the equation. The way most insurance companies look at it in a court (not when settled for vehicle damage only out of court) is that the accident happened regardless of whether there was 5 people in the car with full licences or one person in the car.

The fact is that this is a grey area and if very much depends on individual circumstances so don't tell somebody that they're not insured when you really don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I know someone who was involved in a very serious accident while driving on her learner's permit unaccompanied. She sustained horrific injuries and received a huge pay out from the insurance company. The fact that she was driving unaccompanied didn't even enter into the equation. The way most insurance companies look at it in a court (not when settled for vehicle damage only out of court) is that the accident happened regardless of whether there was 5 people in the car with full licences or one person in the car.

The fact is that this is a grey area and if very much depends on individual circumstances so don't tell somebody that they're not insured when you really don't know.

Who was at fault for the accident in this case though? Your friend or another party?

Generally if you invalidate the terms of your insurance cover your insurer will pay out to third parties and then chase you for the money.

SSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

don't see happiness in having loads of money

Takes the sting outta being broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

CiaranC wrote: »

Ironic considering its a Jackeen nosing around the Waterford forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Who was at fault for the accident in this case though? Your friend or another party?

Generally if you invalidate the terms of your insurance cover your insurer will pay out to third parties and then chase you for the money.

SSE

The person I quoted used general terms referring to "an accident" stating nothing about liability.

You have the cheek to call that person an eejit and you make statements like this?

bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Takes the sting outta being broke

What'd ya prefer, all your friends and family and enjoying life or working your bollix off everyday and earning loads but having no time to spend it so you just become miserable?

Advertisement