Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communication in a post-SHTF world

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Magnum 1012 handheld can be whacked up to 7 watts and is all mode. External antennas could be added for range.....power is the problem. Pmr 446 handheld can go up to 5 watts and some can have the fixed stubby antennas replaced by connectors to add a handheld yagi...
    see delboy pmr 446. uhf is bad for absorbtion by trees buildings etc.
    For distance see Baltic seabattle

PMR's can do 5 milliwatts/0.5 watts with a fixed antenna legally. Anything after that isn't legit. lots of amateur UHF handsets can do much higher power and have removable antennas. They can also be programed to talk on the PMR band easily. Worth considering getting an amateur licene to have the know how and the kit ahead of a SHTF situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Is there a good amateur UHF handheld then? I'm surprised the Yaesu is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

eth0 wrote: »
    Is there a good amateur UHF handheld then? I'm surprised the Yaesu is bad.

Define Bad?

Define Bad?

Poor range I suppose would be the main thing

Poor range I suppose would be the main thing

Ok, well there are lots of factors to be taken into account. I wouldn't necessarily think that the radio is 'bad' because of that. I would try another radio with the antenna off the FT-60R to see if the second radio is as "Bad".

The antenna's on all handhelds are a compromise. However, it is 'best' on the actual Amateur Bands (144-146MHz/430-440MHz). Being pedantic, it's is really only 'best' on one specific frequency within each band. Operating it outside of those bands the antennna will be horribly inefficient and, consequently, "Bad".

To answer your other question. I would recommend the Kenwood TH-F7. It has a general purpose receiver built in, good battery life, charges from 12v, built in smart charger.

Get a crocodile clip and a few feet of wire to clip onto the top of the antenna and you can listen to shortwave with it (passable). It is also easily modified to transmit outside of the Amateur Bands.

Then get an antenna tuned for 446 (or wherever you intend to operate). Something I've not actually looked for but I assume they can be got on ebay. Alternatively, purchase one that, a) as long as possible, b) is for a lower frequency and trim it for use on the frequency of intended operation.

I'm sorry I ever let my one go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

This is one thing iv never had any interest in at all but reading this thread it sounds interesting (and bloody complicated!!) might look into it though how would one go about getting started learning the basics?

Id say the RSGB book is probably a good start (mentioned earlier in the thread). Link is here http://www.rsgbshop.org/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Training_19.html, title is "Advance - The Full Licence Book". I had a flick through it last night. Its geared towards someone studying for the licence. Something a bit more generic might be a bit, well, more generic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

nobody has mentioned the obvious. carrier/homing pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Semaphore flags/semaphore or heliograph stations across the country.
    Messanger dogs,pony express,runners carrying a burning cross thru the night!!
    I think folks we dot have to go that mediveal just yet,as all those ere found to be somwhat unsure even in their day.:)
    TBH even going back to Wireless of the 19th century and compromising or building alternativs to some of their equipment out of junk.We could still be able to get some sort of wireless trnsmission working.I mean if POWS in ww2 could build crystal recivers out of wire,a quartz crystal,a bog paper roll and what not.We should be able to do the same here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Rew wrote: »
    PMR's can do 5 milliwatts/0.5 watts with a fixed antenna legally. Anything after that isn't legit. lots of amateur UHF handsets can do much higher power and have removable antennas. They can also be programed to talk on the PMR band easily. Worth considering getting an amateur licene to have the know how and the kit ahead of a SHTF situation.

Isn't thinking about what things can do legally in a post shtf world kinda missing the point ? For practice pre situation yes.....but in the context of this thread.....Anyway, it's all for the purposes of theoretical discussion.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Isn't thinking about what things can do legally in a post shtf world kinda missing the point ? For practice pre situation yes.....but in the context of this thread.....Anyway, it's all for the purposes of theoretical discussion.:)

Yeah I got that but thought the way it was phrased was a bit confusing for those that dont undersand. If I didn't know better reading it I would have assumed that a 446 you buy could do 5 watts or you could buy them up to 5 watts where as in reality you need non PMR hardware or a lot of hacking to achieve that.

My feeling on it is your better going down the amateur radio route, getting proper hardware and understanding so that you can achieve better coms in a SHTF situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A Later..
    Forgot to add ,people have also to understand what you are saying too in your messages.The US used Navaho Indians in ww2 as their radio operators.The so called "wind talkers".The Japanese were never able to break the US transmissions as no one in Japan spoke Navaho.
    So maybe your group might want to consider learning some obscure Yiddish dialect or somthing that will confuse or slow down your enemies listening and decyphering.

A couplle of good strong cork accents, or maybe dublin city ones should do the trick.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

bonniebede wrote: »
    A couplle of good strong cork accents, or maybe dublin city ones should do the trick.:D

Not anymore..Thanks to us being out in the Leb so long.
    Some of the native Lebanese around camp Shamrock speak English with mad Cork ,Dublin and other distinctive Irish accents.:D

Even speaking As Gailige is no help either .The Israelis went away and learnt it in the 80s to figure out what our lads were saying to each other.
    Strangest thing ever.Being in a bar in Tel Aviv and chatting to some Israeli ex soilders who could speak Irish better than I could.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not anymore..Thanks to us being out in the Leb so long.
    Some of the native Lebanese around camp Shamrock speak English with mad Cork ,Dublin and other distinctive Irish accents.:D

Even speaking As Gailige is no help either .The Israelis went away and learnt it in the 80s to figure out what our lads were saying to each other.
    Strangest thing ever.Being in a bar in Tel Aviv and chatting to some Israeli ex soilders who could speak Irish better than I could.:eek:

I could just imagine them coming to ireland to get jobs as Irish teachers

and they'd most likely be better than the existing Irish teachers

Amateur radio license after arriving :) just need a transmitter now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Amateur radio license after arriving :) just need a transmitter now
    Good work, congratulations! Four packs of tobacco for six month's access to wikipedia from your mountain retreat!

Well done eth0!

Make your own surely :p

Just think carefully about requirements before you purchase anything. Ideally, try and get to sit in front of what you are buying for an hour or two to use it. Failing that, download the manual and have a look through. IMHO, ignore eham.net, to much noise.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Good work, congratulations! Four packs of tobacco for six month's access to wikipedia from your mountain retreat!

thx, the wiki you'd get might have a layer of dust laying on it though
    Well done eth0!

Make your own surely :p

Just think carefully about requirements before you purchase anything. Ideally, try and get to sit in front of what you are buying for an hour or two to use it. Failing that, download the manual and have a look through. IMHO, ignore eham.net, to much noise.

that is the idea eventually. I hope to get a USRP (universal software radio peripheral) and start messing with that but i'd need an ordinary transmitter of some sort as well, was thinking of getting a yaesu ft-7800 or 7900 but the one lad who had one on donedeal isn't responding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

thx, the wiki you'd get might have a layer of dust laying on it though

that is the idea eventually. I hope to get a USRP (universal software radio peripheral) and start messing with that but i'd need an ordinary transmitter of some sort as well, was thinking of getting a yaesu ft-7800 or 7900 but the one lad who had one on donedeal isn't responding
    They can be picked up on ebay i got one there about a year ago for a friend

They are a bit more on ebay though i might have to get one on there now. Also seen a usrp on there recently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

They are a bit more on ebay though i might have to get one on there now. Also seen a usrp on there recently
    Dont know much about them to be honest im hoping to sort a license myself soon

Either should be fine as a starter Radio for VHF/UHF tbh. Your not looking for anything fancy (yet!), USRP is a different beastie though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

http://project-byzantium.org/

The goal of Project Byzantium is to develop a communication system by which users can connect to each other and share information in the absence of convenient access to the Internet. This is done by setting up an ad-hoc wireless mesh network that offers services which replace popular websites often used for this purpose, such as Twitter and IRC.
    These services and web apps were selected because they are the ones most often used by activists around the world to find one another, exchange information, post media, and organize.

They were also selected because they stand the best chance of being easy to use by our intended userbase, which are people using mobile devices like smartphones, MP3 players, and tablet PCs.

Unlike most mesh implementations, a Byzantium Mesh requires no specialized equipment that may not be easy to get during an emergency, just an x86 computer with at least one 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless interface

In either of our use cases, access to the global Net would be limited at best, likely unavailable. This means that many of the organizational tools that people use today (like Twitter and Facebook) could not be reached by users to exchange information.

Advertisement