Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Westwood reveals his top 10 fav rap acts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Rjd2 wrote: »

Suppose there's nothing much I can say because it's his personal top ten, are they in any specific order because there's no way he can put 2pac number 10 and call him the greatest artist ever while drake, Lil Wayne, niki etc all sit above him! ?

My taughts on his top ten, talk about jumping on peoples di*k while there hot and relevant, how the hell can niki and drake be included they have barely been around a few years and yes they have had an impact but it's nothing amazing like that of artists.

In all I'm actually kind of disappointed by his top 10 just shows how much of a commercial cat this dude has turned into in the last few years.

I'm genuinely pissed at this lol, Iv got 3 Westwood albums/soundtracks from a few years ago. No nas, dre, outkast, bun b, krs, rakim etc etc Lil Wayne, niki and drake don't belong there for obvious reasons IMO but look it's his supposedly 10 favourites can't help but think he chose them wisely to try and stay relevant himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

He put jay z ahead of the big dog....pfft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

"Without doubt, Nicki is the greatest female rapper of all time." I think there is a lot of doubt there and dizzie and tinie instead of Rakim, BDK, KRS-ONE, PE, RUN-DMC, Nas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

This seems like a list that was compiled just to appeal to the masses. It contains just very recognisable names. Where's Nas, anyone from Wu-Tang, Rakim, Q-Tip, Lauryn Hill (who is actually the greatest female rapper of all time), Run-DMC, etc. And as far as current rappers go, I think Lupe deserves to be on there more than the likes of Drake or Lil Wayne.

However, it is his top 10, so it's not really for me to judge, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Obviously gotta be a personal favorite list rather than who he feels are the ten best.
    And even then it seems like he is being extra kind to certain artists.

He's basically a dikk Ryder lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Westwood is an institution loved by rappers and rap fans alike but you're not meant to take a single thing he says seriously. It's obviously a "10 Rappers a non-rap fan is likely to have heard of" list. I've heard journalists say the most important part of any list is to put in some complete bull**** entries so everybody gets all riled up and it gets linked/discussed all over the shop. If you don't put Drake in there it's a bad list in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Westwood has done a lot for hiphop in the UK for a long time. But the stuff he says is usually moronic.

10 years ago this list would have probably had afroman in it.

Calling Niki Minaj the greatest female mc ever pretty much discredit the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

That is the worst favourites list I've ever seen why in gods name did nicki, drake and lil wayne make it in there?
    He basically picked ten of the most mainstream artists of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I genuinely can't get over how brutal this list is. Westwood hasn't a ****ing clue.

How in hell can he say that Tupac is the greatest artist of all time and then put Drake, Tinie and Dizzie ahead of him. I don't care what anyone says to me Drake is not good. He has no skills and raps about awful things. He sounds like a gimp on the mic.

Tinie is okay but definitely ahouldn't be here. Dizzie is better but he shouldn't be here.

To be honest the list strikes me as a mixture of well-known legends of the game (BIG, 2Pac), current stars (Em, Jigga, Kanye), some flavours of the month (Nicki and Drake) and then he throws in a shameless plug for the British scene in Tinie and Dizzie.

Lil' Wayne is another guy that doesn't deserve to be there. He sounds even more gimpish on the mic than Drake, and that's saying something.

How did he leave out guys like Nas, Big L, Rakim, Slick Rick, Ghostface, Method Man, Raekwon, Outkast (either of them).

It's the single worst list that I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Underground

Drake,Wayne,Nicki Minaj,Tinie Tempah and Dizzie Rascal?

What??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

What an idiot.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

They must be the next 10 people to appear on his show. A bit of fat to chew while they are on air.

I remember years ago, before the internet, me and a few friends used to gather around a stereo that could receive BBC radio with our fingers on the pause/play/record buttons. Then afterwards making mix tapes out of his show.

But now......I have no time for him, or his top 10 lists. But I do have to give him kudos for his recent interview with Heavy D, he covered the past, present and future with him. I think it was done a few days before his passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just showed this list to a friend. He agreed that Drake and the likes being ahead of Tupac was a joke. He ruined it all then by saying that Wayne deserved to be ahead of Pac. I then reeled off a few rappers and played him When I B On Tha Mic by Rakim and he called it a disaster of a tune. I left it at that.

theres a few people(celebrities) i dislike more than i should, westwood is one.

someone mentioned above about certain people on the list probably being on his show some time in the near future, exactly what i thought.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

on the female front, how can he say that about niki the likes of lil kim, missy elliot etc had a lot bigger impact on the hip hop scene than niki who is more pop orientated than hip hop imo like all of young money.

iv sent him 2 measages on twitter trying to bait him out, but surprisingly iv had no luck:D

but without a doubt the worst list iv ever seen by a hip hop dj/fan or rapper, just shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What an absolute dickhead.

the more i see of lists like these the more im convinced they are made with the intention of starting debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Westwood has done a lot for the UK scene and his shows used to be good but he has always been a bit of a tit and had a strong commercial leaning so the list is not that shocking.

But that said how the hell is he saying Nicki Minaj is the greatest female MC ever? Having drake, wayne etc is one thing but saying that is just mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Come out of the fog Westwood would you

Like I said earlier do you not see that the list having some stupid entries is part of the plan? I've seen this article posted on 4 forums, facebook and all over twitter. I haven't seen a rap related article linked in so many places in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

Like I said earlier do you not see that the list having some stupid entries is part of the plan? I've seen this article posted on 4 forums, facebook and all over twitter. I haven't seen a rap related article linked in so many places in years.

If that was the general idea then I would have to take my hat off to Westwood and whomever came up with the concept as, love it or hate it, either way, we're talking about it

same thing happens when mtv do their top 5 of the year.

Pretty much. And I was watching Westwood TV (channel hopping) and Drake was on there shmoozing Westwood telling him how he's the best DJ in the world, or one of the best.

That's how you hustle dawgs. If he said AZ it wouldn't matter cos he'd never be on his show, and nobody would link the article cos they wouldn't care.

Advertisement