Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzsimmons, Temple Bar..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Saw this video on FB, you would wonder what happened in the lead up to it, I doubt the bouncers would go at anyone that bad unless provoked...

Some of the page comments say the 2 lads had broken bottles, you can't see that in video though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

All of your facts to date have been completely wrong.

It is Fitzsimons.

One (1) m.

Carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Simon2015

Fieldog wrote: »
    Saw this video on FB, you would wonder what happened in the lead up to it, I doubt the bouncers would go at anyone that bad unless provoked...

Some of the page comments say the 2 lads had broken bottles, you can't see that in video though...

Regardless of what may or may not happened before this incident Bouncers are supposed to stop trouble from happening not to encourage it.

These guys are totally unprofessional and should never have been put on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Simon2015 wrote: »
    Regardless of what may or may not happened before this incident Bouncers are supposed to stop trouble from happening not to encourage it.

These guys are totally unprofessional and should never have been put on the door.

'Guy', it was one prick who kept provoking the two lads for another go.

A bouncer is shown with two poles in his hands, but there's nothing to say they were used as weapons.. Tbh its more likely he took them off the street so they couldn't be used against anyone.

A lot of people are wondering why the door staff left the door, usually I'd say that's very unprofessional but from the recorded audio its obvious the two lads had armed themselves with bottles, and there's a doorman alone on the millenium door of that club who can not be left alone.

All that said, I'm working the doors over twenty years and the one lad is the kind of scumbag I don't ever want to work with, and the type I've sacked lots of times.

I doubt he's still working there, and I wouldn't be surprised if his actions cost the security company the contract for that premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

The brazen head use to be my local. I'm like a fat Wayne Rooney and it was like shooting fish in a barrell pullingwise. €6.20 is a bargain for the convenience of not having to go to Coppers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fieldog wrote: »

Surely if they feel there is a threat to themselves, they should lock the doors and call the gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Another thing I never got, and it hurts me when I have to do it. Paying into a 'club', how can you pay in somewhere to give them your money? Its not like there's anything great in these places either. The drinks are still sky high. Once it happens I generally avoid the place next time around.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Another thing I never got, and it hurts me when I have to do it. Paying into a 'club', how can you pay in somewhere to give them your money? Its not like there's anything great in these places either. The drinks are still sky high. Once it happens I generally avoid the place next time around.

Another Scam they pull is that they put the prices up after a certain time in most city centre pubs/clubs.

Its like they only do it to take advantage of drunk people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Another Scam they pull is that they put the prices up after a certain time in most city centre pubs/clubs.

Well Duh! :pac:

Its arguable whether its a scam or not, just bear this in mind.

The cost of a late license (to stay open after 23:30) costs €410 PER NIGHT!.

That's a fairly hefty [+/-] €148,000 per year (not including your legal fee's and added public liability costs to cover the longer opening hours).

But people don't want to know this argument.

All that said, there are some clubs particularly in Templebar absolutely raping the arse out of our wallets.

• Advertisement

The cost of a late license (to stay open after 23:30) costs €410 PER NIGHT!.

410 Euro is nothing to the bar when you have a few hundred people paying over 6 Euro a pint.

410 Euro is nothing to the bar when you have a few 100 hundred people paying over 6 Euro a pint.

Again it depends.

A lot of bars (at least in the cities) are leased by a license owner, some of these people are making decent money and pulling a good salary out of the bar but a lot aren't, and a lot fail because of massive overheads (rent on the lease, public liability, rates, taxes on alcohol, upkeep of the premises, security contracts etc etc).

I can't remember the publicans take on the price of a pint but its not a whole lot and €410 per night is a huge amount of drink to sell before you're back making money.

More than once I've considered taking out a lease on a bar, but when I scratch the surface I ran off with my tail between my legs. Like cafes & restaurants, bars are a very risky business.

But like I said earlier some bar owners are arse raping us.. Fitzsimmons being one of the worse, I wouldn't go near the kip these days.

I hear its in the hands of the receiver anyway, and apart from the job losses which will follow its not something I'd mourn.

I'll pay up to €5:50 for a beer in Templebar, after that I'll take my money elsewhere and they can feck off.

Again it depends.

A lot of bars (at least in the cities) are leased by a license owner, some of these people are making decent money and pulling a good salary out of the bar but a lot aren't, and a lot fail because of massive overheads (rent on the lease, public liability, rates, taxes on alcohol, upkeep of the premises, security contracts etc etc).

I can't remember the publicans take on the price of a pint but its not a whole lot and €410 per night is a huge amount of drink to sell before you're back making money.

More than once I've considered taking out a lease on a bar, but when I scratch the surface I ran off with my tail between my legs. Like cafes & restaurants, bars are a very risky business.

But like I said earlier some bar owners are arse raping us.. Fitzsimmons being one of the worse, I wouldn't go near the kip these days.

I hear its in the hands of the receiver anyway, and apart from the job losses which will follow its not something I'd mourn.

I'll pay up to €5:50 for a beer in Templebar, after that I'll take my money elsewhere and they can feck off.

I don't know of anywhere in Temple bar were you would get a pint for 5.50 unless there doing some sort of drink special.

As regards the late license many places I've been in put up the prices after 10pm which is still within normal opening hours. Its just a Scam in my opinion.

I have not been in Fitzsimmons in years but the last time I was there I paid 7.20 for a pint bottle of bulmers and the place was packed out. Places like that would easily clear 400 quid within half an hour on a busy night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

To be perfectly honest if the two individuals were hanging around threatening staff and producing broken bottles then they deserve a good kicking.

They were a complete distraction and a constant threat who would have become bolder if not challenged. It is always better to take the initiative.

Let's say a fight broke out inside the premises what are they supposed to do? Leave a solitary doorman outside to deal with those two individuals while the rest broke up the fight? It would be asking for trouble.

The bouncer who apparently comes off as bad in this is, in my opinion, simply trying to scare the two individuals off from returning again. He needs to not let up in order to ensure this. Any sign of weakness and those two would be straight back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

WarZ wrote: »
    The bouncer who apparently comes off as bad in this is, in my opinion, simply trying to scare the two individuals off from returning again. He needs to not let up in order to ensure this. Any sign of weakness and those two would be straight back.
    Totally unprofessional, he should not have left the door & assaulting a member of the public is a criminal offence.

It's the nature of the game, on occasion people are disrespectful to you, you smile, you try to pacify them by treating them with a modicum of respect & if all else fails you & your colleagues close ranks to protect the premises & clientele, using reasonable force, if necessary, until the appropriate authorities arrive.

A PSIA licence does not give you carte blanche to take the law into your own hands.

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Totally unprofessional, he should not have left the door & assaulting a member of the public is a criminal offence.

It's the nature of the game, on occasion people are disrespectful to you, you smile, you try to pacify them by treating them with a modicum of respect & if all else fails you & your colleagues close ranks to protect the premises & clientele, using reasonable force, if necessary, until the appropriate authorities arrive.

A PSIA licence does not give you carte blanche to take the law into your own hands.

Its rare that I disagree with you, but you're wrong.

Producing bottles and threatening door staff is more than being a little disrespectful.

As regards leaving the door, as I've said (and I'm speaking from a position of experience having worked that door for almost four years), there's a doorman on the millenium door who is quite vulnerable, its common procedure (when I was there) to leave the club door if there was trouble at the M/bridge door.

Punching the guy a number of times in the back of the head is OTT IMO, but in the heat of battle and after being threatened with a bottle I can't say the f*cker didn't deserve it (I'd like to think I'd restrain the guy and call the cops instead of punching the head off him).

Gouding the idiot like the doorman did is way out of order, and tbh if I was running the door that night I'd have sent him home and asked the company to replace him ASAP.

Simon2015, I'm trying to be informative and helpful to you but you seem to have your mind made up. Take the info I gave you as you wish, but I won't be wasting anymore time on it.

Oh, you can get a pint of €5:50 or less in Templebar ~ shop around.

Oh, you can get a pint of €5:50 or less in Templebar ~ shop around.

Please tell me where in Temple bar you can get a pint for 5.50 that is not on special offer.

Buskers were dong 5 Euro Pints for a short time but they are now back up to 6.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Please tell me where in Temple bar you can get a pint for 5.50 that is not on special offer.

Buskers were dong 5 Euro Pints for a short time but they are now back up to 6.10.

Why? Prices suck and so do the pints.

Right off the top of my head you have The Mezz, the Gypsy Rose & the Foggy Dew.. You've also got Fitzgeralds and The Ha'Penny Bridge bar if you want somewhere quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Right off the top of my head you have The Mezz, the Gypsy Rose & the Foggy Dew.. You've also got Fitzgeralds and The Ha'Penny Bridge bar if you want somewhere quiet.

I think hard rock café are still doing €4 pints €5 cocktails.

• Advertisement

I think hard rock café are still doing €4 pints €5 cocktails.

I'd forgotten about that place.. Haven't been in there since early this year so I can't comment.

Templebar is an expensive kip but if people weren't morons and looked around they can still socialize in the area cheap enough.

Many of the bars and clubs in Templebar wouldn't appeal to me regardless their prices anyway.

Give me rock, metal, punk, ska etc and I'm there :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Porterhouse and Czech Inn, to name two.

BeerNut wrote: »

Good God how I hate the Czech Inn :mad:

I've been forced (on occasion) to go into the kip, an easy way to lose my friendship :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

BeerNut wrote: »

Beautiful pint of the Porterhouse's own Hop Head is €5:50, paid €4 a few weeks ago as was on special. A quality beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Fairly sure when I drank in the Mezz bar recently late on Saturday it was €5.20 for a pint (hop house 13). Nothing about it being on special.

There was a quality blues band on live too. Surprising as when they came on stage they looked like 2 builder brothers in their 50s and their accountant. They were great when they sang though.

Patser wrote: »
    Fairly sure when I drank in the Mezz bar recently late on Saturday it was €5.20 for a pint (hop house 13). Nothing about it being on special.

There was a quality blues band on live too. Surprising as when they came on stage they looked like 2 builder brothers in their 50s and their accountant. They were great when they sang though.

The Mezz is a great spot, but a big loss when the last manager (Slim) left for greener pastures out in Swords.

But still great craic and some deadly gigs too.

With the exception of Mezz those pubs are more on the fringes of Temple Bar.

Like you could hardly call Fitzgeralds a Temple Bar pub.

Like you could hardly call Fitzgeralds a Temple Bar pub.

Ok I get you now, you just want to argue rather than discuss ~ tbh I can't be arsed with that.

You asked to be pointed to pubs with €5:50 pints in the Templebar area and that's the best you can do, goodnight.

Now you have at least four or five bars in the Templebar area where you can drink a pint for €5:50, enjoy yourself sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

the fringes of ............. it ain't a 100 clicks's my friend, it's just around the corner

:P:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement