Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

My house alarm went off last Thurs, however i was not there till Fri evenin, neighbours were a bit annoyed. However i didnt set the alarm before i left thus meaning the alarm was faulty and went off by its own accord. Gaurds arrived and told me to put it off. Only thing is i didnt have the code, have been renting off the landlord for over two years but never used the thing. Rang the Landlord 3 times leaving voicemails and sent a message explaining the situation. Hve a young child in the house and needed to get it off. The gaurds arrived back around half ten Fri night, so i cut the wires on the alarm. My question is do i need to pay for a new alarm? Also landlord has still not been in contact so as far as he's concerned the alarm is still going off!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Why would AGS tell you to turn if off? it's nothing to do with them...... I'd would have told them where to go...... On the other side if you contact a local alarm company or the installer they can default the alarm for you and program a new code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Irish Fire wrote: »
    Why would AGS tell you to turn if off?
    Errrm noise pollution / neighbours having to put up with it for 2 days / maybe monitored by AGS?

I'd would have told them where to go..
    No you wouldn't

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Why would AGS tell you to turn if off? it's nothing to do with them...... I'd would have told them where to go......

Cause he was disturbing the peace and they received complaints over it. Would drive me nuts too.
    On the other side if you contact a local alarm company or the installer they can default the alarm for you and program a new code

This is the thing to do alright. They can also just open up, disconnect power and disconnect backup batteries in panel and exterior box which will disable alarm entirely. With a ladder you can do this yourself. You'd be within your rights to bill landlord for this or deduct from rent.

The alarm was probably going off due to batteries wasting which has the same affect as a trigger as most alarms treat this as a tampering event.
    i cut the wires on the alarm. My question is do i need to pay for a new alarm?

Should just be a matter of splicing wires back together (provided you didn't cut wires inside panel or something). Sounds like alarm needs full service or to be removed. Landlord should cover this or just leave as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Ye cut the wires inside the panel then outside in the actual alarm, low battery was on the panel before i cut it, thinkin back i should have known but head was fryed wit the noise and the situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Ye cut the wires inside the panel then outside in the actual alarm, low battery was on the panel before i cut it, thinkin back i should have known but head was fryed wit the noise and the situation!

That's unfortunate. While it might be possible to splice wires back together it's probably less time consuming and hence cheaper to just replace panel. You could trying arguing that you didn't know what else to do etc. but technically you damaged alarm panel and are liable for that portion at least.

Up to your landlord then how accommodating he/she is given he/she didn't return calls.

For info, a panel is circa €200 plus fitting. Total alarms systems can be fitted for €500+ depending on model, number of contacts and fitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You damaged an alarm as opposed to disabled it. You should be able to reconnect the wires to fix it unless you went overboard. It should be easy to fix if it isn't then you would have went overboard.

As stated you could simply disconnect the battery and power.

If your solution to fixing a washing machine was to destroy it you would be charged don't see much difference to an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As an aside, if the house is fitted with an alarm and you don't use it, your contents insurance may be invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You damaged an alarm as opposed to disabled it. You should be able to reconnect the wires to fix it unless you went overboard. It should be easy to fix if it isn't then you would have went overboard.

As stated you could simply disconnect the battery and power.

If your solution to fixing a washing machine was to destroy it you would be charged don't see much difference to an alarm.

Bit of a difference when the gaurds call to u twice and keepin a child awake!!! Never heard of that with a washin machine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Bit of a difference when the gaurds call to u twice and keepin a child awake!!! Never heard of that with a washin machine!!!!
    And there is a difference to disconnecting it and breaking it.

You know if the guards tell you something you don't have to do it. Their word doesn't make it legal or correct. They will ask you to do something they can't do.

I really depends on what you did. What wires did you cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭altor

My house alarm went off last Thurs, however i was not there till Fri evenin, neighbours were a bit annoyed. However i didnt set the alarm before i left thus meaning the alarm was faulty and went off by its own accord. Gaurds arrived and told me to put it off. Only thing is i didnt have the code, have been renting off the landlord for over two years but never used the thing. Rang the Landlord 3 times leaving voicemails and sent a message explaining the situation. Hve a young child in the house and needed to get it off. The gaurds arrived back around half ten Fri night, so i cut the wires on the alarm. My question is do i need to pay for a new alarm? Also landlord has still not been in contact so as far as he's concerned the alarm is still going off!!!!!!

The EN50131 standard for external bells sets the maximum duration for 15 minutes. This is only for alarms fitted from September 2003. There was meant to be a new law to cover all alarm systems but as yet it has not come about. What you should of done is rang any company that has 24 hour call out and got them to disable the alarm system and sent the bill to your landlord. A low battery on an alarm system can cause a lot issues plus plenty of false alarms. Depending on where you did cut the cables it may be able to fix the system up and reprogram the bell cut out for 15 minutes to prevent this happening again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement