Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genuine Question ... not trolling...

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Blatter wrote: »
    Context is everything, it can be very subjective.

Bull crap. So if I walked up to a black guy that I know and say 'sup n***a'. The context is the same as fiddy would do in a music video yet that deemed as ok.

To me that's the biggest problem with the PC / Anti Racism brigade. Nobody actually has any idea what is racism these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Western Oriental Gentleman

Term used in the Raj ( IIRC )

Interestingly you don't hear it at all now

Always thought it came from Golliwog..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

iregk wrote: »
    Bull crap. So if I walked up to a black guy that I know and say 'sup n***a'. The context is the same as fiddy would do in a music video yet that deemed as ok.

To me that's the biggest problem with the PC / Anti Racism brigade. Nobody actually has any idea what is racism these days.

As a white person you can never call a black person a nigg*r.Ever.

It is acceptable in certain social circles for a black person to call another black person a nigg*r.

Most black people diagree with the use of the word full stop.

Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

According to the rubber bandits it's black man. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Blatter wrote: »
    As a white person you can never call a black person a nigg*r.Ever.

It is acceptable in certain social circles for a black person to call another black person a nigg*r.

Most black people diagree with the use of the word full stop.

Simple.

Is that you Sepp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Nodin wrote: »
    Wog, I'd imagine.

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Naggers.

iregk wrote: »
    W = WOG?

I'm interested to find your thoughts on rappers then using the 'N' word? Surely racism is either racist or it's not, it can't be selective?

I never said anything about rappers did I? FWIW I do not agree with the use of the word in ANY context. You'll find a lot of black people who think the same way.

We have enough negativity going around without the same crap coming from people of the same race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

White people are actually the coloured ones......

White people go pink in the sun
    White people go red with embarrassment
    White people go blue in the cold
    White people go pale when sick

And I think you'll find 'Black' people pretty much stay the same colour all the time!

earpiece wrote: »
    White people are actually the coloured ones......

White people go pink in the sun
    White people go red with embarrassment
    White people go blue in the cold
    White people go pale when sick

And I think you'll find 'Black' people pretty much stay the same colour all the time!

Erm - NO!! We tan, the same as everyone else. We can look sick, and we bruise which can also show up on the skin. Just like any other folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Erm - NO!! We tan, the same as everyone else. We can look sick, and we bruise which can also show up on the skin. Just like any other folk.

Ahh here. Next you'll be saying ye've red blood and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Ahhhhhh, bubble burster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

realies wrote: »
    And what about all the rap songs & singers that constantly refer to each other in the N word .motherfcuker:cool:

Never understood that. Wonder do Irish rappers call each other pasty, potato eating bastids?

Nodin wrote: »
    Ahh here. Next you'll be saying ye've red blood and stuff.

You read my mind...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

I never said anything about rappers did I? FWIW I do not agree with the use of the word in ANY context. You'll find a lot of black people who think the same way.

We have enough negativity going around without the same crap coming from people of the same race.

exactly this.

black friend of mine was talking to a friend of his on the phone one day and i overheard him call him "homeboy", i inquired about it and he explained that the whole "N" word thing in music is just marketing, aimed at white people who think that rap IS black music, and the whole "bad boy taboo" stereotype image.

i've been to house parties with these guys and they listen to carribbean and jamaican rhythms and upbeat "positive"? music, no sign of "2pac", (opressed, repressed), or "fiddy cent", (whores, bitches, pimps, glocks, etc) in their music collections or MTV on the tv, all i can say is it was a bit of an eye opener against the stereotype! :D

No you didn't mention it which is why I was asking. Good response though and I fully agree with your final point.

Take it from the legend that is Richard Prior, talking about a trip he had to Africa:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Backronym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

JohnnyTodd wrote: »
    What's wrong with using the word negro?

In Spanish, no problemo.

But what's wrong with good old black, assuming you are using English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Saying a black man or black woman is fine, its on most official documents e.g. the Census.

The thing I dont understand is why people need to emphasise the fact that someone is black. I was working in Dunnes a fewyears ago and we got a new employee. ''Ah were ya talking to the new black one?'' I cant get my head around this. Can they not just ask ''were ya talking to Kelly?'' or ''were ya talking to the new girl?''

Same thing a few nights ago. A friend was telling me he saw a man having an argumement with a black bus driver. Why do they need to mention the colour at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Kingpin187

If I get called white, when Im technically not, then I can say black, even though blacks are not technically black. Aiight?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Omackeral wrote: »
    Saying a black man or black woman is fine, its on most official documents e.g. the Census.

The thing I dont understand is why people need to emphasise the fact that someone is black. I was working in Dunnes a fewyears ago and we got a new employee. ''Ah were ya talking to the new black one?'' I cant get my head around this. Can they not just ask ''were ya talking to Kelly?'' or ''were ya talking to the new girl?''

Same thing a few nights ago. A friend was telling me he saw a man having an argumement with a black bus driver. Why do they need to mention the colour at all?

Completely agree, no need at all, but there are times when you need to refer to colour and if a time like that comes up I'd like to know what I was doing was ok and not derogatory / inflammatory in any way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

yep exactly.

Case in point (on topic!) a sports player in england has been charged with racism against another. The charge pertains to the accussed calling the victim a negrito (which is spanish for black). the defenders of this accused say that negrito just means black and in south american culture it is normal to call black people a negrito. But why was the accussed repeatedly refering to his opposition by the colour of his skin? that is the point. It's all in the context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

In the UK is the black man not usually referred to as West Indian well in the 1980s anyway, meaning either Caribbean, Jamaican or Trinidad and Tobago. Nowadays there is more of a mix, but to refer to someone as just African, theres a load of countries in Africa, Ghana, Egypt, Somalia etc And its not as if you can generalise Africans either, as some contrast completely from other cultures.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I beleive it was in fact Wily Oriental Gentlemen and probably refered to Arabs originally. (or should I say A-rabs?)

To me there are just two types of people (with a bit of fudging of the boundaries in between ..) Decent People and Scumbags.

I don't really care where they come from or what they look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

In South Africa everyone I knew would say black or white, or coloured to described mixed race people. It wasn't seen as racist it was just describing them.

Of course for years as a kid, I always thought "white" people were actually pure white in colour and I kept wondering why I never saw any white people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I actually know several black-skinned persons quite well and they have no problem with being called Black.:) A couple of them are from the USA, but others from various parts of Africa, so Afro-American doesn't really cut it.

I think the term "coloured" is very silly. Everyone is coloured. I'm mostly a sort of off-white with beige and brownish spots, blue eyes, white hair and a red neck. Is that coloured enough?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Originally Posted by Davidth88 viewpost.gif

Backronym.

Blackronym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

First world translucent people problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

OneArt wrote: »
    In South Africa everyone I knew would say black or white, or coloured to described mixed race people. It wasn't seen as racist it was just describing them.

Of course for years as a kid, I always thought "white" people were actually pure white in colour and I kept wondering why I never saw any white people.

Apartheid wasn't racist then? OK struggling with that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I loath the term ' African American ' .

I have a South African friend ( white ) who confused the hell out of people in the US because he ticked ' African ' in an employment thingie.... they told him he couldn't be African because he wasn't black !!!

Mad isn't it .

I stand corrected on the term WOG by the way thanks Corktina .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭maiden

When I first moved into my estate it had mostly Africans living here, and my kids used to play outside and were known as 'whitey' I would hear the African kids say 'kick the ball whitey' etc I never had a problem with it.

BUT if it was the other way around??

maiden wrote: »
    BUT if it was the other way around??

True. He could be throwing the ball!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

The Rook wrote: »
    Completely agree, no need at all, but there are times when you need to refer to colour and if a time like that comes up I'd like to know what I was doing was ok and not derogatory / inflammatory in any way at all.

I can never understand peoples problems with this. This is completely normal and understandable.

Its called describing the person simply so the other person has a more accurate image in his head. Its completely and utterly natural and there is no malice intended.

People will always point out the obvious difference in someone when describing that person to someone else. If I was over in china and started work in a place where I was the only white Irish guy, of course the people there in conversations will clarify when talking about me among themselves as "the white guy" or "the Irish guy". Otherwise they'll picture an average joe Chinese guy when I'm being described to them.

Its not racist , its logical. Next thing you know people will be so PC as to complain when people describe someone by their gender. "Why couldn't you just say person , or human you sexist monster."

In the UK is the black man not usually referred to as West Indian well in the 1980s anyway, meaning either Caribbean, Jamaican or Trinidad and Tobago. Nowadays there is more of a mix, but to refer to someone as just African, theres a load of countries in Africa, Ghana, Egypt, Somalia etc And its not as if you can generalise Africans either, as some contrast completely from other cultures.

In the UK, people of West Indian descent (including Jamaican, Trini, Barbadian :)) are referred to as Afro-Caribbean. On Census forms, etc., you can specify your exact racial origin; e.g. Afro-Caribbean/Mixed, African/Mixed, Asian/Mixed and so on.

I just put 'Other' just to be awkward! :D.

Advertisement