Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Ending

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

In your opinion, Which Star Trek Series had the best ending and why?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

mister_h wrote: »
    In your opinion, Which Star Trek Series had the best ending and why?

TNG had a great ending, very optimistic & complete.
    DS9 also had a great one, though bittersweet seeing the crew go their seperate ways & Sisko gone.
    VOY was poor to middling.
    ENT was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mister_h

I'm very happy to agree with you that ENT was poor from start to finish.

DS9 was probably my favourite though, even though i hated that whole "Vic Fontaine" thing they had going on, it ended as realisically as it could. Characters went there seperate ways because their outlooks were affected by war while at the same time remaining close. I always loved the O'Brien/Bashir Bromance and they ended that well.

Voyagers ending should have taken longer it was a bit too neat and i would have liked to see what happened to the crew after they got back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DS9's ending was far too rushed IMO. The Dominion arc should have been resolved much sooner, like the end of the previous season. Then again I always felt the outbreak of hostilities between the Federation and the Dominion was a mistake. It should have remained a "cold" war until the end imo. I'm probably alone in thinking this though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

TOS, underwhelming, if you limit yourself to the series ended with a rather camp and bad episode. If you regard the films as a natural extension of the show, which I do, then the ending of TUC was Shakespearen and genius, it tied up the whole fed/klingon conflict which imo was a hallmark of the series and resolved it with an enlightened message of peace and optimism.

TNG: Best ending out of all Star Trek shows, a conclusion that philosophical with dialogue between philosopher characters who don't go into emotional displays would never be allowed in the media today, such as it is concerned with pandering to emotions and in your face messages (Nolan's Batman a prime example although its a film).

DS9: First half, good for anyone who was into that whole Dominion war thing which was overrated, second half utter utter utter complete utter crap.

VOY: You felt like you had completed an arduous marathon by the time they finally got home. That's how much I wanted it to end. It was a painful physical exertion to keep watching it. And Neelix getting the pompous send off, fck that. Worst Star Trek show ever.

Ent: Strangely enough I thought the ending was so bad it was kinda good. It was funny to see an overweight Riker stroll around the enterprise. And because I didn't care much for the show I didn't really care if it was an affront to the expectations of star trek fans, who cares, the whole show was boring and crap so it doesn't matter if they recapped what would have been another few years of tedious Trek history in a single episode, they were doing you all a favour by wrapping it up quickly, by saying "and yadda yadday, they lived happily ever after, DONE!"

TOS, underwhelming, if you limit yourself to the series ended with a rather camp and bad episode. If you regard the films as a natural extension of the show, which I do, then the ending of TUC was Shakespearen and genius, it tied up the whole fed/klingon conflict which imo was a hallmark of the series and resolved it with an enlightened message of peace and optimism.

TNG: Best ending out of all Star Trek shows, a conclusion that philosophical with dialogue between philosopher characters who don't go into emotional displays would never be allowed in the media today, such as it is concerned with pandering to emotions and in your face messages (Nolan's Batman a prime example although its a film).

DS9: First half, good for anyone who was into that whole Dominion war thing which was overrated, second half utter utter utter complete utter crap.

VOY: You felt like you had completed an arduous marathon by the time they finally got home. That's how much I wanted it to end. It was a painful physical exertion to keep watching it. And Neelix getting the pompous send off, fck that. Worst Star Trek show ever.

Ent: Strangely enough I thought the ending was so bad it was kinda good. It was funny to see an overweight Riker stroll around the enterprise. And because I didn't care much for the show I didn't really care if it was an affront to the expectations of star trek fans, who cares, the whole show was boring and crap so it doesn't matter if they recapped what would have been another few years of tedious Trek history in a single episode, they were doing you all a favour by wrapping it up quickly, by saying "and yadda yadday, they lived happily ever after, DONE!"

You don't like Trek much really do you :)

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH... Second Degree Plasma Burn!!!:D

haha, well I like TOS and TNG, but the others aren't great and I have the sneaking suspicion that a lot of trek fans force themselves to like DS9 because they need at least 3 of the trek series to be good, otherwise they'd have to admit that the majority of trek is dross except for the first two series and some of the movies.

I have the sneaking suspicion that a lot of trek fans force themselves to like DS9 because they need at least 3 of the trek series to be good, otherwise they'd have to admit that the majority of trek is dross except for the first two series and some of the movies.

I would disagree with this. With the Addition of DS9 running parrallel to TNG for a while, it gave a sense of scale to the trek universe and took the spotlight off the Starship Enterprise. It showed that things were happening in the Federation Elsewhere and made this fictional verse that much richer for it. Plus the fact that it was set on a station meant that they could not be so episodic with there storylines and an element of continuity was present that didn't show up in TNG until the borg stories.

I would disagree with this. With the Addition of DS9 running parrallel to TNG for a while, it gave a sense of scale to the trek universe and took the spotlight off the Starship Enterprise. It showed that things were happening in the Federation Elsewhere and made this fictional verse that much richer for it. Plus the fact that it was set on a station meant that they could not be so episodic with there storylines and an element of continuity was present that didn't show up in TNG until the borg stories.

Yeah but I remember me and my friends of the time having a parody of DS9 involving people sitting at their stations with everything running smoothly and no drama or action anywhere in the vicinity. DS9 could be pretty much summed up as that, or Sisko talking endlessly about baseball or Quark and Rom providing unnecessary and wrong comic relief. Its like a tired sigh on an overcast Sunday afternoon. That pretty much describes it, even the war scenes were beige, nothing really changed, it was about as far as sanitized vanilla trek would go into gritty darkness, they didn't have armour, there was no gore or swearing or rock music, it was just 4 of them against 4 Jem Hadar in those formal uniforms with phaser rifles. Actually forget that early comparison to a Sunday afternoon, its more like vanilla Morrowind without all the mods.

I Was recently told that Ronald D. Moore did BattleStar Galactica because of creative disagreements on Voyager.

The claustrophobic enviroment and constant drinking and "Frakking" that was going on was originally meant to happen on Voyager, Moore said that this is a more believable outcome when you hurl a Ship across the Galaxy with little to no hope of getting home in any realisitic time frame.

Wow that would have been fun to watch.

• Advertisement

I Was recently told that Ronald D. Moore did BattleStar Galactica because of creative disagreements on Voyager.

The claustrophobic enviroment and constant drinking and "Frakking" that was going on was originally meant to happen on Voyager, Moore said that this is a more believable outcome when you hurl a Ship across the Galaxy with little to no hope of getting home in any realisitic time frame.

That would have been awesome. There could have been a mutiny, Janeway would get killed or demoted and become a background character, Chakotay would also get bumped off. That Suther psychopath dude would have made a great tyrannical nut case, Neelix would have been sent flying on a photon torpedo, the Doctor would be one of the only "good" characters perhaps similar to the dwarf in Game of Thrones. Seven of Nine would be an evil dominatrix. Paris would have struggled between his good and criminal tendencies as the reluctant right hand man of Suther.

That would have been awesome. There could have been a mutiny, Janeway would get killed or demoted and become a background character, Chakotay would also get bumped off. That Suther psychopath dude would have made a great tyrannical nut case, Neelix would have been sent flying on a photon torpedo, the Doctor would be one of the only "good" characters perhaps similar to the dwarf in Game of Thrones. Seven of Nine would be an evil dominatrix. Paris would have struggled between his good and criminal tendencies as the reluctant right hand man of Suther.

Yeah, if Roddenberry were still alive I can see him green-lighting that as its fits so snug in with his vision of the future.

In all seriousness, there should have been much more tension & uncertainty in VOY. Along the lines of Stargate Universe etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Daith

"All Good Things..." is the best episode.

However I think "What You Leave Behind" is the better finale if that make sense? There was some issues alright (Dukat/Sisko final, the amount of recycled space battle footage). Yet I still think it's a perfect bookend to the show and practically the only one that shows how much change happened to the station and her crew.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah but I remember me and my friends of the time having a parody of DS9 involving people sitting at their stations with everything running smoothly and no drama or action anywhere in the vicinity. DS9 could be pretty much summed up as that, or Sisko talking endlessly about baseball or Quark and Rom providing unnecessary and wrong comic relief.
    Did you actually watch DS9?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

I remember reading that somewhere and when watching Battlestar it kept entering my head...if this was VOY that would have been so cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

TNG's "All Good Things..." by a country mile. Great episode.

DS9 was a good series overall. I'd agree it's overrated and the Dominion War was boring. Seasons 3 to 5 were pretty solid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

"So, five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit..."

How can you improve on perfection?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

two janeways in one episode
    that's how

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

two janeways in one episode
    that's how

Ha, there were 285,000+ Picards in Parallels :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

TURNABOUT INTRUDER

Season three was pretty poor I know
    but a wonderful final episode on TOS.

A great turn by The Shat.

Shatner was great as The Captain but if Jeffrey Hunter
    hadn't died so early would he'd have been the great Kirk?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I always consider All Good things to be the end of TNG but Star Trek 6 to be the end of TOS. Different rules for different shows! :)

Ent was the worst tho. A pointless mess of a show that borrowed nearly anything good it had from the other shows and almost fittingly had its own ending hijacked by TNG for no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Yea, TNG really had the best ending without a doubt. It managed to look back over the years and also look forwards and felt really special while closing the pilot episode theme of the Q coming to judge humans.

DS9 and Enterprise felt like they had endings that can only be described as exercises in tying-up loose-ends. By the time DS9 ended I was so worn out watching the same giant space battle in every other episode that I was just glad it was over. It was exciting to see the first time they did it in Way of the Warrior but by the final episode it had become tiresome and meh. It was as though they had found the one thing they were good at and just kept hitting repeat as a substitute for decent storytelling. As for the Pah Wraiths, the less said about those graduates from the Hogwarts School of How-To-Write-Good-Sci-Fi the better. In generally, the war should have been wrapped up earlier and the scope of the final episode should have been maybe a bit less grandiose.

The same point can be made about Voyager; maybe they could have got home a few episodes earlier instead of fitting that biggie into the final episode. And they could have dispensed with destroying the Borg altogether because they had really gone to town enough on this species throughout the rest of the show. I would have preferred to see the ending being a tie-in to the first episode where we find out the fate of the Ocampa or more about the Caretaker's species. It would have been nice to see the ship that the Caretaker's people were travelling in show up in Federation space and for the ending to put a new twist on the plot in the pilot episode.

The unconvincing Seven and Chakotay love story they desperately tried to weave into the final few episodes was obviously an attempt to address the lack of character development amongst most of the main characters throughout the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

AngryLips wrote: »
    The unconvincing Seven and Chakotay love story they desperately tried to weave into the final few episodes was obviously an attempt to address the lack of character development amongst most of the main characters throughout the series.

They alluded to this earlier when she created a Chakotay hologram to "practice" with and I quite liked the route they were taking with it. But you are right, it was heavily rushed and they just shoved it into the last episode to give Janeway a reason to "want" to change things. Not like the 40 crew members she lost along the way would matter or anything.........:p

As a finale though, it was good. DS9's and TNG were both excellent in my opinion. Enterprises was truly, truly awful. It was pointless, killed characters for no reason and gave no closure. But that was to be expected from the show as it was not good overall......which was a shame as it has some really great episodes. "Twilight" in season 3 sticks out as a very memorable episode. "Through a mirror darkly" was also brilliant. I would recommend any trek fan watch them.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Yea, TNG really had the best ending without a doubt. It managed to look back over the years and also look forwards and felt really special while closing the pilot episode theme of the Q coming to judge humans.

DS9 and Enterprise felt like they had endings that can only be described as exercises in tying-up loose-ends. By the time DS9 ended I was so worn out watching the same giant space battle in every other episode that I was just glad it was over. It was exciting to see the first time they did it in Way of the Warrior but by the final episode it had become tiresome and meh. It was as though they had found the one thing they were good at and just kept hitting repeat as a substitute for decent storytelling. As for the Pah Wraiths, the less said about those graduates from the Hogwarts School of How-To-Write-Good-Sci-Fi the better. In generally, the war should have been wrapped up earlier and the scope of the final episode should have been maybe a bit less grandiose.

The same point can be made about Voyager; maybe they could have got home a few episodes earlier instead of fitting that biggie into the final episode. And they could have dispensed with destroying the Borg altogether because they had really gone to town enough on this species throughout the rest of the show. I would have preferred to see the ending being a tie-in to the first episode where we find out the fate of the Ocampa or more about the Caretaker's species. It would have been nice to see the ship that the Caretaker's people were travelling in show up in Federation space and for the ending to put a new twist on the plot in the pilot episode.

All of the season endings with the exception of TNG just felt like the series going through the motions. DS9 was boring, standard big battle piece, by the numbers, epic whatever. But not original. Voy was insulting with the easy defeat of the Borg, the ship doing a sommersault when it should have been in bits by the end of the show, Ent was a farce, so pitiful that I actually feel sorry for it, TOS's finale was just a stock episode with added sexism. Although I count TUC as its real ending, which was a masterpiece, poignant and tieing up 20 plus years of trek history in a powerful message about peace and diplomacy (Kirk overcoming his well justified hatred of Klingons etc). TNG AGT was the best series ending hands down.

Although I count TUC as its real ending, which was a masterpiece, poignant and tieing up 20 plus years of trek history in a powerful message about peace and diplomacy (Kirk overcoming his well justified hatred of Klingons etc). TNG AGT was the best series ending hands down.

Hard to argue with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Underdraft wrote: »
    I always consider All Good things to be the end of TNG but Star Trek 6 to be the end of TOS.

I agree, love the ending of the undiscovered country, gives it one last hurrah. A mission where you wonder what adventures a geriatric, world weary crew will get up to before coming back.

Kirk: I think its about time we got underway ourselves. [sits on captain's
    chair]
    Commander Nyota Uhura: Captain, I have orders from Starfleet Command. We're to put back to Spacedock immediately...to be decommissioned. [long pause as Kirk contemplates the order]
    Spock: If I were human, I believe my response would be...go to Hell. [Kirk looks at Spock] If I were human.
    Chekov: Course heading, Captain?
    Kirk: Second star to the right... and straight on till morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I suppose "All Good Things" was my favourite ending. DS9 was my favourite Trek series and while I liked the ending, finding it quite a satisfying ending to the characters, I always hoped that DS9 would have ended on a downer. I've said it in another thread but I always thought that, since Paramount were already working on another Trek spinoff (Enterprise) that they should have ended DS9 on a downer: The Federation well and truly beaten and the Dominion taking over the Alpha Quadrant and that the next series should have been set about 100 years later with a battered and beaten (and a lot less smug) Federation trying to rebuild in, essentially, occupied territory. DS9 was the one show that had the balls to do it and when Enterprise was announced I was pretty disappointed.
    Thankfully a couple of years later we got Battlestar

I suppose "All Good Things" was my favourite ending. DS9 was my favourite Trek series and while I liked the ending, finding it quite a satisfying ending to the characters, I always hoped that DS9 would have ended on a downer. I've said it in another thread but I always thought that, since Paramount were already working on another Trek spinoff (Enterprise) that they should have ended DS9 on a downer: The Federation well and truly beaten and the Dominion taking over the Alpha Quadrant and that the next series should have been set about 100 years later with a battered and beaten (and a lot less smug) Federation trying to rebuild in, essentially, occupied territory. DS9 was the one show that had the balls to do it and when Enterprise was announced I was pretty disappointed.
    Thankfully a couple of years later we got Battlestar

Yeah a downer ending would have been great, the defeat of the dominion was a little bit too contrived.

Yeah a downer ending would have been great, the defeat of the dominion was a little bit too contrived.

I dunno, had the Cardassians not turned, it could have gone either way. I kinda liked the whole Cardassian rebellion part, the oppressor becomes the oppressed etc. Then an almost Maquis-esque struggle on their part, ultimately turning the tide of the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I dunno, had the Cardassians not turned, it could have gone either way. I kinda liked the whole Cardassian rebellion part, the oppressor becomes the oppressed etc. Then an almost Maquis-esque struggle on their part, ultimately turning the tide of the war.

Oh yes, I loved the Cardassian thing too but only DS9 would have had the balls to do a downer ending. That was my biggest problem with Enterprise: It was bland-on-bland with some bland on the side (Can't even remember the name of the translator or navigator and couldn't be ar*ed TBH)

Advertisement