Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caherdavin (Limerick) 10 Miler - 26/12/11

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any confirmed details on this one yet?

Have missed this the last couple of years due to frost and Xmas committments but, wife and weather permitting, I'll be on the start line this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Its nearly always on at 11am from Caherdavin Community Centre. Its 200m from home so i do it every year and am doing it this year. €10 for the 10 mile and €5 for the 6 mile the last few years and your entered into a raffle afterwards. One of the highlights of xmas for me this race. Its the Limerick County 10 mile champs so it draw a good field.

Course was slightly long last year, but with the frost we were lucky it was on at all.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/61296681

I'll post any more info on this when i hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Its nearly always on at 11am from Caherdavin Community Centre. Its 200m from home so i do it every year and am doing it this year. €10 for the 10 mile and €5 for the 6 mile the last few years and your entered into a raffle afterwards. One of the highlights of xmas for me this race. Its the Limerick County 10 mile champs so it draw a good field.

Course was slightly long last year, but with the frost we were lucky it was on at all.

I'll post any more info on this when i hear it.

Brian is the 6 a subset of the 10 miler? Weather permitting I might pop in and do the 6. €5 is brilliant value but will I need a stab-proof vest :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Brian is the 6 a subset of the 10 miler? Weather permitting I might pop in and do the 6. €5 is brilliant value but will I need a stab-proof vest :D

Most of the race is in Co. Clare smartass :D

A good few do the 6 miler yeah, both races start together. Would you not HTFU and do the 10 miler :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Wow. A stab city "joke". Haven't seen one of those in a while.

Thanks for the info Brian...looks like a fast enough course

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

This a smashing race, ran the 10m last year for the 1st time as we were in the wife's parents for the festivities. I'll miss it this year as we'll be driving down this year on Stephen's Day. I never actually got an official time last year. Does anyone know where the results are posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hey is there mile markers, or any other distances, marked out on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Wow. A stab city "joke". Haven't seen one of those in a while.

I know Brian so taking the proverbial out of him knowing he would tell me race is in Clare (where I'm from). All in good fun...

I know Brian so taking the proverbial out of him knowing he would tell me race is in Clare (where I'm from). All in good fun...

Aha...that explains a lot :)

Have been living in Limerick for over 10 years now & the S*** City thing has bugged me from day one.

Anyway, really hope the milder weather keeps up. Managed to set an unofficial 10 mile PB the other night in training so looking forward to a race

Aha...that explains a lot

Have been living in Limerick for over 10 years now & the S*** City thing has bugged me from day one.

Nobody mentions stab city to me in London, it's great :P

YFlyer wrote: »
    Hey is there mile markers, or any other distances, marked out on the course?

They were painted onto the road 3 or 4 years ago but I didnt see them last year or the year before. The turn around at Cratloe is just after half way.

I'll ask around and see what the story is for this year and i'll post the info when i get it.

They were painted onto the road 3 or 4 years ago but I didnt see them last year or the year before. The turn around at Cratloe is just after half way.

I'll ask around and see what the story is for this year and i'll post the info when i get it.

Thanks Brian, I just looked at the route on the garmin site. Have an idea now what the course is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Sorry to hijack this thread but I saw in an news paper article today that there is also a 5 miler from the country club on the Old Cratloe Road on New Years day.

Does anyone have a start time or any info for this ? I ran this course during the Limerick run series this summer and it was pretty good.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I saw in an news paper article today that there is also a 5 miler from the country club on the Old Cratloe Road on New Years day.

Does anyone have a start time or any info for this ? I ran this course during the Limerick run series this summer and it was pretty good.

Thats the course i set my 5 mile pb on back in 2006. i've done the NYD one only once. It goes out the old cratloe road and right after a mile towards Woodcock hill turns sharp right after 2.25 mls, then downhill for a mile and then back towards the old cratloe road and the last mile is the reverse of the first. 2nd mile is quite hilly but not extreme. Think it started at midday when i did it, it seems to be on every year yeah.

Yes, it's a great course. It's challenging to start but the downhill section makes up for it.
    I got an email address from the Limerick AC website so I'll contact them. I'll post any info I get on here if that's ok.

I think the St Stephens day run may not suit me this year so I might give it a miss. I won't know for certain until the morning of.

On another note the Hunt Museum run goes off at 10.30am (I think) Christmas morning. This heads out to Annacotty afaik. It could be a good appetite worker upper before dinner.

On another note the Hunt Museum run goes off at 10.30am (I think) Christmas morning. This heads out to Annacotty afaik. It could be a good appetite worker upper before dinner.

Has this run been changed to another date, and start from UL? This is the same race/run that Paddy O'Connell organise?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Has this run been changed to another date, and start from UL? This is the same race/run that Paddy O'Connell organise?

I'm not sure to be honest I found these on google - >

http://www.limerickcitysports.ie/programmes-activities.html

http://www.shannonheritage.com/media/Media,10542,en.pdf

Ah ok. Looks like there is two runs to the Daughters of Charity then.

Can't open the PDF on this PC.

PDF is more or less same info as Limerick City Sports page.

I should get one of them if not two ran over the week.

PDF is more or less same info as Limerick City Sports page.

I should get one of them if not two ran over the week.

I'll have the National Novice on the 11th, The races on the 18th, 26th and New Years Day.

There is usually a turkey trot on the Sunday before xmas. It has been on the Dock Road in the past but its been in UL more recently. Mini marathon route was used 3-4 years ago. Different route the last time i ran it 2 years ago. It went down over the new bridge in UL and back over the steel footbridge and was 3.5 mls or 4 mls IIRC. HQ was the sports bar in UL. Big raffle afterwards, a lot of people do it for charity. I was usually in the top 5 and its winnable if you're any good.

I had a bit of correspondence with a very helpful official from Limerick AC.
    The St. Stephens Day road race is 5miles and a 10miles, starting at 11am from the Community Centre in Caherdavin.
    Just as a matter of interest, Limerick Athletic Club have a 6 KM fun run, walk, fancy dress on Sunday 18th. December from the University of Limerick Arena at 10.30 sharp. Prizes for the first Man and first Woman, draw for other prizes. All proceeds go to the Daughters of Charity Lisnagry. No entry fee, large and small donations accepted.

On Christmas Day there is the annual run / walk to the Daughters of Charity Lisnagry from Rutland Street, Limerick also at 10.30 am.
    Details on www.limerickac.ie

I'll definitely make the St Stephens Day run. Not sure about the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Pixie Girl

Cheers for that overthebridge because the website doesnt actually say what distance any of the runs are.

Will definitely be doing the St. Stephen's day run and might do the 6km fun run this Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Trudyshoes

Hi there just wondering if anyone has a little more info on the caherdavin road race on st Stephens day..... What time does it start, do you just pay on the day?? Any other info on new years day 5 mile run from country club??? Thanks!!!

Trudyshoes wrote: »
    Hi there just wondering if anyone has a little more info on the caherdavin road race on st Stephens day..... What time does it start, do you just pay on the day?? Any other info on new years day 5 mile run from country club??? Thanks!!!

Most of the info on the Stephen's day race is in Overthebridge's post above. 11am start (although it rarely goes off on time). Yeah you just pay on the day. Walk into the main hall in the community centre and pay at the registration table.

The new year's day course is this (fairly hilly as you can see). Midday start IIRC but i havent done it in years.

Will there be much difference from the above route this year?

Great turnout for this race this morning. I reckon 150 +
    Fair play to everyone for getting out and doing it.
    (although it rarely goes off on time). .

You were spot on here. It was 15-20 mins late. But it didn't take from the event at all.

It's a choice between the Country Club 5 miler and the Shannon 10k next. :D

Great turnout alright - notably lots of men avoiding the tyranny of THE SALES ;)

After almost 10 years of running and dozens of races, today, for the first time ever, I finally got my racing strategy right. Sub 70 mins was the ultimate goal today but would have been more than happy with 72 mins, taking the turkey hangover into account/

Ran the first 5 miles in a comfortable 35 mins (the hills were mildly challenging but not a problem) and finished very strongly in just over 68 mins. A new PB by almost 6 mins (!).

I normally blow up in the final third (of 10k's & half-marathons) but had plenty in the tank for the last 5k or so. It was nice to be passing people out for a change in the closing stages.

Well organised and marshalled event; the last mile did feel a little long but always prefer a race to be a little long rather than a little short.

There were a few people grumbling about the lack of water stations but imho these are not really all that necessary for < half marathons, and presumably add hassle & expense for the organisers.

All in all, great value for €10 and will be back again.

Ran the first 5 miles in a comfortable 35 mins (the hills were mildly challenging but not a problem) and finished very strongly in just over 68 mins. A new PB by almost 6 mins (!).

No way! I did it in 68:10. Was that u that I was trying to catch at the end in the sprint?

I doubt it...I was using the term 'just over' a bit liberally in my previous post :D
    'Just under' 69 mins might be more accurate.

Anyone know when/where the results might be available?

I doubt it...I was using the term 'just over' a bit liberally in my previous post :D
    'Just under' 69 mins might be more accurate.

Anyone know when/where the results might be available?

I say you were gaining on me.

My 1st 5 miles were much quicker. Tried to hang onto Tom Turner when he passed me at around the 7 mile mark.

I need more long runs.

• Advertisement

69:57 training run for me. Just kept to 6:50-6:52 per mile pace (sub 3 hr pace) the whole way. 10.2 miles again just like last year but i expected it. 6th time doing this race and will continue to be an annual fixture. Hope they have more safety pins next year :) (had to run up home to get some beforehand)

Advertisement