Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what would you have done

• 21-11-2011 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

An acquaintance of mine went shopping for an item of furniture on saturday,They picked out what they wanted in the shop which was over 600 euro and where going to put a deposit down when the shop assistant pulled them aside and suggested that he could get that item of furniture a lot cheaper himself straight from the factory for cash which would mean cutting out the shop where he works.They would make a saving of over 200 euro.They took up the offer.Just wondering what you think, right or wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

For s 200 euro saving? Make sweet love on a display bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Taken his advice and save myself €200. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

realies wrote: »
    An acquaintance of mine went shopping for an item of furniture on saturday,They picked out what they wanted in the shop which was over 600 euro and where going to put a deposit down when the shop assistant pulled them aside and suggested that he could get that item of furniture a lot cheaper himself straight from the factory for cash which would mean cutting out the shop where he works.They would make a saving of over 200 euro.They took up the offer.Just wondering what you think, right or wrong.

What's the dilemma, Nelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I'd have paid the guy €200 as a thanks for his advice, and then bought it from the expensive shop.
    When I'd get the furniture home, I'd stuff it with money and burn it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

"Mr, give me 300 off, or I'll tell your boss what you're doing"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Snakeblood wrote: »
    What's the dilemma, Nelly?

;) The dilemma is its obvious the assistant is getting paid to sell furniture but in reality is taking orders for himself so where does that leave the shop owner as in if we all start doing this where will it end.Looking after oneself and fcuk everyone else :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I'd have gone to the owner and informed on the snivelling little ungrateful **** of an employee. Then we'd see how long his/hers grubby little profit would have lasted when he/she was sacked and out of a job. The employer should also be allowed to tell social welfare EXACTLY why this numpty was sacked. How do they sleep at night behaving like that?
    I have had experience of prats doing this kinda of thing here. I don't mind somebody doing the odd nixer but by jesus do some people think this world owes them something for nothing!
    Do the decent thing and let the owner know what is going on. And there is only one decent thing to do here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Clever girl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The shop assistant is a gobsh1te of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Well if you're looking at it from a purely selfish point of view €200 off is nice.

But in the context of society at large, if everyone did this, VAT receipts would collapse (even further), shops would close creating (even more) unemployment and people like your friend would probably ring Joe Duffy demanding that something be done to sort out the issues, all the while remaining oblivious that they had contributed towards the problem.

So in short, yes, take the €200 saving and fcuk everyone else - because that's what we're good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Buy the cheaper furniture THEN tell the owner. Then you save 200 and the little shit gets fired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would guess that this is not being bought by the dude direct from the factory but rather stolen.

The question is are you willing to be an accomplice to a theft ?

If you answer yes ,you are a criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

id probably not have shouted in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

recyclebin wrote: »
    Buy the cheaper furniture THEN tell the owner. Then you save 200 and the little shit gets fired

Exactly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

OP - I'd say that that Sales Assistant will be collecting his P45 fairly soon. He obviously isn't getting paid commission from the store, perhaps he is receiving commission everytime he makes a referral direct to the factory though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Not a very loyal employee, the factory should not be selling to the public.
    While the shop worker is wrong the factory is worse, I would report them to his bosses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

phasers wrote: »
    For s 200 euro saving? Make sweet love on a display bed.

are you capable of making sweet love to another human in RL I mean you give the most sarcastic snide comments in the world its just my mind goes all foggy with you saying those words :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

Happyman42 wrote: »
    How do they sleep at night behaving like that?
    QUOTE]

Like a log on a cheap bed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Take the €200 cheaper item, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

First world problems...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Manufacturers and distributors for shops don't tend to sell one off's to the general public. It would go against agreements they have with the shops and would end up costing them more as they're just not cut out for it.

This guy is more than likely not doing this just to see the smile on random strangers faces I'm guessing he's making money in there somewhere too. I can only assume he's planning to rob the place or knows someone offloading stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

I guess the guy is on the make..

BUT it COULD be that it's a genius scheme by the owner who has told his sales assistants to give customers the impression that they are getting an insane deal.

You never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I used to do that all the time!
    I'm not a very good sales person!
    But funnily enough, the customers would come back to me in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

ScumLord wrote: »
    This guy is more than likely not doing this just to see the smile on random strangers faces I'm guessing he's making money in there somewhere too. I can only assume he's planning to rob the place or knows someone offloading stolen goods.

Or his boss might be a complete dick and messing him around so much that he's getting his own back the only way he can.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Or his boss might be a complete dick and messing him around so much that he's getting his own back the only way he can.
    Maybe but it's a stupid way of getting back at him. Losing his job could be the least of his worries, he could be done for stealing, fraud, breach of contract and may have to pay the shops loss of earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd rat him out to the boss. Disgusting behaviour.
    He can open his own shop, pay rent, rates, insurance, electricity, wages etc if he wants to sell furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Now that's a fine example of lateral thinking :D

Maybe but it's a stupid way of getting back at him. Losing his job could be the least of his worries, he could be done for stealing, fraud, breach of contract and may have to pay the shops loss of earnings.

I can't really see how he'd be done for stealing or fraud. Unless I read the OP incorrectly all the guy did was tell the customer that he could buy the item cheaper elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

Have heard of this happening in London. It's usually when the shop closes, out the back door type thing... Usually bigger companies...re-order the stock, no-one really notices for a while/or take from stockroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I can't really see how he'd be done for stealing or fraud. Unless I read the OP incorrectly all the guy did was tell the customer that he could buy the item cheaper elsewhere.

He's doing his employer out of profit for his own benefit:confused:

Cian A wrote: »
    He's doing his employer out of profit for his own benefit:confused:

Who said it was for his own benefit? I think there are far too many assumptions here.

Just to clarify; I'm not saying he's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I cant see it, if the factory is supplying the shop there is no way they would sell to one of the shops employees,

god chance he is working along side someone in the factory, (hey bud I got a nudder 1 for you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps his employer's a robbing bastard who treats his employees like sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

mawk wrote: »
    id probably not have shouted in the title.

title fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I would guess that this is not being bought by the dude direct from the factory but rather stolen.

The question is are you willing to be an accomplice to a theft ?

If you answer yes ,you are a criminal

This is most certainly what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

OP: The store may be going out of business, like very soon, without exactly saying it to your friend...A one time huge Irish owned furniture company employee told me to try other places for what I was looking for, said I'd get the same for cheaper at such a place. Two weeks later it had closed down.

If it was something your pal wanted to put a deposit on or would have to wait for the item on order then it could well be the above. No business wants to announce an impending closure until it's written in stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Maybe the store manager is in on the whole racket ?

Maybe the sofa that the OP's (ahem ahem) "acquaintance" THINKS is worth €600 is actually a piece of poo thats worth less than half that.

Maybe they price it at €600 knowing that in reality only a total gobshyte would pay more than about three fiddy and then make this "offer" in order to make them think theyre getting a bargain.

Its the oldest trick in the book FFS

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Maybe the store manager is in on the whole racket ?

Maybe the sofa that the OP's (ahem ahem) "acquaintance" THINKS is worth €600 is actually a piece of poo that's worth less than half that.

Maybe they price it at €600 knowing that in reality only a total gobshyte would pay more than about three fiddy and then make this "offer" in order to make them think they're getting a bargain.

Its the oldest trick in the book FFS

Maybe ,maybe maybe. And whats the ahem ahem for, You implying thats its me. I already stated who it was.

If a store wants to sell furniture they don't/wouldn't go through all that cloak & dagger stuff to get people to buy it and wouldn't have an assistent giving his number for them to ring at another time and certainly wouldent be making it all hush hush. And as they were puting a deposit on the said item in the first place why give it to them cheaper, FFS read the op as were not all gobshytes.

Depends on what kind of employee contract he signed. If there are procedures in place and he went outside those procedures he could be liable for all sorts. If the shop has a contract with the supplier and ether one of them decides to sue it'll all come back on that employee too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I dont think I'd buy if off the lad -

Too dodgy - who'd risk their job for €400(basically a weeks wage) selling stuff to complete strangers -

• Advertisement

The Zohan wrote: »

Nope he got it for them and got it delivered (not from store van)and asked them today is there anything else there that there interested in and to give him a ring on friday.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd buy if off the lad -

Too dodgy - who'd risk their job for €400(basically a weeks wage) selling stuff to complete strangers -

Good question.

Nope he got it for them and got it delivered (not from store van)and asked them today is there anything else there that there interested in and to give him a ring on friday.

I did not realise he got it for them, they gave him the money, in this case the goods are stolen from the factory, most likely.

hondasam wrote: »
    I did not realise he got it for them, they gave him the money, in this case the goods are stolen from the factory, most likely.

Cash on delivery, and obvious to me anyway that there is someone in the factory who is supplying the orders.

Cash on delivery, and obvious to me anyway that there is someone in the factory who is supplying the orders.

Ya for sure but probably seconds anyway, factory is happy to get rid, this might not be the case.
    Shop worker is a sly prick imo.

hondasam wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far necessarily but the shop may have something set up with the factory or supplier that they would ship home delivery orders directly from the factory to save stocking time. The factory may think it's just carrying out normal deliveries but the shop just aren't hearing about it, at least until they do they're adding up at the end of the month. If it's not a legitimate sale there's no guarantee the shop won't come looking for the difference once yerman is found out.

Well that's dodgy. Sounds as if the guy from the shop is on a backhander from the factory at the very least. I wouldn't do business with him but I would ask the shop owner for the item at a discounted price and give him the heads up. Trouble is the way the economy is going you'd have no idea who is and who isn't involved.

I wouldn't do business with him but I would ask the shop owner for the item at a discounted price and give him the heads up.
    I'm sure he'd give you the discount for that bit of information.

I wouldn't go that far necessarily but the shop may have something set up with the factory or supplier that they would ship home delivery orders directly from the factory to save stocking time. The factory may think it's just carrying out normal deliveries but the shop just aren't hearing about it, at least until they do they're adding up at the end of the month. If it's not a legitimate sale there's no guarantee the shop won't come looking for the difference once yerman is found out.

Something dodgy is going on and someone is making money out of it but it's not the shop.

Advertisement