Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roto Spike Bale Unroller

• 21-11-2011 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Back problems, forcing me to reconsider how I unravel silage from the bales. Currently stand on end in centre of passage, and use a mandrolic fork (grape) to dish it out.
    I am considering purchasing a Roto Spike from Bridgeway Engineering.
    Does anybody have one, and would you recommend?

http://www.youtube.com/user/BRIDGEWAYOffaly?blend=2&ob=5#p/u/0/TtzWzq2usMs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

just looked at the video of it working and it does not put the silage in front of the cows so you will still be useing the fork,what about the quad x bale unwinder its puts it infront of the cows or the bale hustler was another i think .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Back problems, forcing me to reconsider how I unravel silage from the bales. Currently stand on end in centre of passage, and use a mandrolic fork (grape) to dish it out.

looks a very handy product, have never seen one in the flesh though. dont think they are over expensive either, think i saw one for 1200 euros in journal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

leg wax wrote: »
    just looked at the video of it working and it does not put the silage in front of the cows so you will still be useing the fork,what about the quad x bale unwinder its puts it infront of the cows or the bale hustler was another i think .

It's not much bother for me to fork it, once its dragged off the bale.
    Some times, breaking up a bale manually can be a bitch. Other times it's not much bother at all.

Also, price. Can get the Bridgeway for €1,100.

The Quad X seems by comparrison way over engineered, and price is I believe nearer to €5k:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

In the video, was that silage chopped? it didnt look like it was.
    I wonder what it would be like with chopped silage?

Would you consider a bale chopper that cuts the bale in 2? there cheaper that €1,100
    I dont have one but they look a handy tool

In the video, was that silage chopped? it didnt look like it was.

Would you consider a bale chopper that cuts the bale in 2? there cheaper that €1,100
    I dont have one but they look a handy tool

Bale in the video, certainly did not looked to have been chopped.
    I do wonder, how a chopped bale would work. I'd be afraid, it would possible fall off in a heap, after the first roll of the spike:confused:

Thing is, my bales are not usually chopped, but to be honest, that tends to depend as much on how many cans of Bulmers the driver had previous night as on anything else:eek: You never know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I finally made a worth while point :D. who said farming is hard :rolleyes:.

Bale in the video, certainly did not looked to have been chopped.
    I do wonder, how a chopped bale would work. I'd be afraid, it would possible fall off in a heap, after the first roll of the spike:confused:

Thing is, my bales are not usually chopped, but to be honest, that tends to depend as much on how many cans of Bulmers the driver had previous night as on anything else:eek: You never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

I was going to suggest a Hustler SL-350 feeder http://www.iam.ie/ but at 5,750 excluting vat, they aint cheap

Peter T wrote: »
    I was going to suggest a Hustler SL-350 feeder http://www.iam.ie/ but at 5,750 excluting vat, they aint cheap

Crazy price:(

I'm either getting the Roto Spike or a McHale bale splitter. Similar price at €1,100
    The Roto Spike, I think would do a better job for me, but not sure of it is ok, on chopped bales so was hoping to hear from somebody on here, ho has one, to give an opinion based on experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

what kind if set up do you have?,
    do you have a loader, tractor with front end loader?
    how wide is your pad?
    there may be other options apart from £1000 on an implement that has only one use, a lot of the time these things work well until it's a wet bale or a bale out of shape

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Useless, you can't take the net off chopped bales without them falling apart

• Advertisement

yog1 wrote: »
    what kind if set up do you have?,
    do you have a loader, tractor with front end loader?
    how wide is your pad?
    there may be other options apart from £1000 on an implement that has only one use, a lot of the time these things work well until it's a wet bale or a bale out of shape

Two bay slatted house. 15 foot passage. No front loader. Bog standard tractor. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If its cost that's bothering you, get yourself one of these:

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11289

Its a silage knife. I can split a bale with mine in 30 seconds. It cost about £20 25 years ago. I recently bought a new blade for mine costing €25.

Who needs a fancy bale splitter when you can DIY ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

I think the OP wants to save his back;) For me, I'd look into putting a loader on the tractor, way more useful all round and will feed and push up bales easily.

reilig wrote: »
    If its cost that's bothering you, get yourself one of these:

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=11289

Its a silage knife. I can split a bale with mine in 30 seconds. It cost about £20 25 years ago. I recently bought a new blade for mine costing €25.

Who needs a fancy bale splitter when you can DIY ;)

What age are you? Have you ever had back surgery? :confused:

What age are you? Have you ever had back surgery? :confused:

I'm in my mid 30's. Why?

You never said that you had back surgery?? :rolleyes:

My old man is near 70, had several discs in his back repaired in th 80's and 90's. He's well able to use it. It saves him forking the silage from the bale which is hard on the back.

Doctors who perform back surgery recommend exercise. Otherwise your problems will only get worse. I've been to enough case conferences over the years!!

I'm in my mid 30's. Why?

You never said that you had back surgery?? :rolleyes:

My old man is near 70, had several discs in his back repaired in th 80's and 90's. He's well able to use it. It saves him forking the silage from the bale which is hard on the back.

Doctors who perform back surgery recommend exercise. Otherwise your problems will only get worse. I've been to enough case conferences over the years!!

Didn't mention surgery, BUT, I did say about my back!

You are now in your mid thirties, and you bought your silage knife 25 years ago. So you cashed in the auld communion money when you were 10, cycled into town, came home with a silage knife, and laid claim to the auld place:rolleyes:

Didn't mention surgery, BUT, I did say about my back!

You are now in your mid thirties, and you bought your silage knife 25 years ago. So you cashed in the auld communion money when you were 10, cycled into town, came home with a silage knife, and laid claim to the auld place:rolleyes:

There's no need to get snotty.

You were the one to mention back surgery:
    Originally Posted by Atilathehun
    Have you ever had back surgery?

I did not say that I bought the silage knife. I said that I recently bought a blade for it - and so what if I went on my bike for it. Exercise is good for the back :)

You seem to be having a go just for the sake of it.

The silage knife that i pictured would save a great deal of effort and stress on your back. Split bales are much easier to fork out. It does the same job as any of the fancy Mchale splitters, but used the power of your foot and cost a fraction of them.

There's no need to get snotty.

You were the one to mention back surgery:

I did not say that I bought the silage knife. I said that I recently bought a blade for it - and so what if I went on my bike for it. Exercise is good for the back :)

You seem to be having a go just for the sake of it.

The silage knife that i pictured would save a great deal of effort and stress on your back. Split bales are much easier to fork out. It does the same job as any of the fancy Mchale splitters, but used the power of your foot and cost a fraction of them.

Ok. Not wanting to have a go. Just thought I asked a concise question, and gave my reason for it, and so didn't see the point of your reply.

Anyway, I am the proud owner of one of those knives, and have given it plenty muscle over the years.
    These days, I suffer a fair bit of back problems, and so was just asking about the effectiveness or otherwise of the Roto Spike in different conditions etc,. There can come a time when, you cannot do what you always used to do unfortunately.

PS: I also have a bike. Got it on the bike to work scheme. Only thing I ever got off the Greens, other than grief:cool:
    Back pain or not I still get to use it a bit. However the exertion of the silage knife gives more of a drag to the back than the bike.

With a 2-bay slatted house (I presume its a double), you probably use 5 to 7 bales per week. Is it worth putting €1000 to €1200 into something that only does one job for 4 to 5 months per year?

With a 2-bay slatted house (I presume its a double), you probably use 5 to 7 bales per week. Is it worth putting €1000 to €1200 into something that only does one job for 4 to 5 months per year?

It's not the number of bales or cattle etc, thats the issue.

It's soley and only a health and safety issue for myself, if you know what I mean. The back has seen better days I'm afraid.
    Looking at the video of the Roto Spike, it seems to offer a solution which would be of great benefit to my back. However, I'm the kind that likes to hear from a fella or two who have used a given piece of equipment, to get the good honest opinion of the good and bad points.

• Advertisement

It's not the number of bales or cattle etc, thats the issue.

It's soley and only a health and safety issue for myself, if you know what I mean. The back has seen better days I'm afraid.
    Looking at the video of the Roto Spike, it seems to offer a solution which would be of great benefit to my back. However, I'm the kind that likes to hear from a fella or two who have used a given piece of equipment, to get the good honest opinion of the good and bad points.

I know someone who uses it to unroll bales into a diet feeder. It works very well for the purpose.

I'd prefer bales split for my own sheds. There would be less forking.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Maybe try contacting the company to see if they can put you on to customers that have bought and use their product. Its worth an email or phone call anyway

Two bay slatted house. 15 foot passage. No front loader. Bog standard tractor. :o

what kind of tractor, how many bales do you use in a week,

I think the OP wants to save his back;) For me, I'd look into putting a loader on the tractor, way more useful all round and will feed and push up bales easily.

+1, front end loader is a life saver, it's one of those things that until you get it you don't know how useful it is, we got ours 2yr ago and wouldn't be without it now, if your going to spend 1000 you wouldn't need much more to buy and fit a loader,
    what with you having a 15ft pad your set to make the most use of a loader, our pad's are 10ft and 12 ft wide, 2ft is a big difference,
    a lot of people are going to disagree with me but i find that if i put the bale to the cows head they eat the same amount as if i were to grape it in, i actually think they eat less if they never run out of silage and it's there 24hr 6.5day, (need half a day to tighten them up to eat it all,)

the way we work is, we have a bale spike on the front end with 3 tines (the heavy one's off a stone rake), they are about 18" apart and we use it like a buckrake,
    have often thought of modifying a buckrake but i dont think the tines would be strong enough, also the way we open the bales wouldn't suit,
    when were taking the wrap off, we set the bale down like the way they come out of the baler and have the spike driven in at the bottom of the flat side and the bale held up with the loader, then cut the other flat face off the bale, run the knife up the two sides of the bale and pull the plastic back over the loader, then this leaves only the net on the bale, we just find the end of it and unroll it off the bale, with the plastic pull back out of the way if any silage falls off it doesn't trap any of the plastic,
    we then drive them in 3/4 of the way up the bale on the flat side again and lift, the bale should split, then set it down on top of it's self then drive the spike in half way down and lift half the bale again, we then take that half and set it in front of another pen, it sounds messy but when you get used to it it's not messy at all,

yog1 wrote: »
    what kind of tractor, how many bales do you use in a week,

+1, front end loader is a life saver, it's one of those things that until you get it you don't know how useful it is, we got ours 2yr ago and wouldn't be without it now, if your going to spend 1000 you wouldn't need much more to buy and fit a loader,

You wouldn't get much of a loader for anywhere near €1k:o Loader, plus brackets, plus hydraulic kit, plus fitting, plus attachment for handling the bale. €3k minimum I'd say. If I had to spend that I would change the tractor altogether, which I thought about a while back. But in the end myself and the tractor go back a long way, and the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

why do you have to drag it out,can you not just put in a bale infront of each pen and push in with tractor every day ,i feed all mine like that dont need anything fancey or a sprong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Atilathehun

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73046981

Sure only a few weeks ago you were cutting silage 'like a dream' with a hay knife ?

Whats happened to you ? :pac:

Also, price. Can get the Bridgeway for €1,100.

:
    You wouldn't get much of a loader for anywhere near €1k:o Loader, plus brackets, plus hydraulic kit, plus fitting, plus attachment for handling the bale. €3k minimum I'd say. If I had to spend that I would change the tractor altogether, which I thought about a while back. But in the end myself and the tractor go back a long way, and the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!:)

is that 1100+vat, if so works out at about 1300, nearly half way to your 3k loader, a loader would be of more use, could do more work with it,
    price has a lot to do with the tractor you'd be putting it on

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/machinery/2698236

or

http://www.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/machinery/2738230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

i would be thinking your back would take a bit of a battering spronging silage after that yoke lets it off ,defo wouldnt work with chopped bales, would your tractor be able for a backend shear grab ,you could chop the bale in half with it and the bale wouldnt be shaken up to bad so wouldnt go off as quick , knew a fella that fed pitsilage to about 350 cattle every winter and it was on a 135 with weights up front,they can be bought for a little over 1000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

leg wax wrote: »
    why do you have to drag it out,can you not just put in a bale infront of each pen and push in with tractor every day ,i feed all mine like that dont need anything fancey or a sprong.

+1 to this. When cattle are in a slatted shed they dont need to all feed at the same time. So just open the bale and land it in front of them in one piece. They will all get their share during the day with out the backache of piking silage. Really thought piking silage (especially bale silage) was a thing of the past. Pulling silage from a bale with a pike is probably one of the worst things you could do for your back. As well as not having to pike out the silage, it wont go off as fast if it left as a full bale.
    Ps . . . only use a pike, shovel etc when absolutely necessary and to lean on!! :D Otherwise leave it by the wall!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

I have a two bay shed with and open front. I just reverse in a bale to the centre pillar,, couple of forks left, couple of forks right.. and then leave them at it.. It saves the cows pucking each other. After a while they all take their fill.

Shove it in with the tractor when they eat it way from the front.I like machines and innovation, but no need to automate this.

I use one bale at atime as they don't eat 'hayledge' too quickly.

JOAT wrote: »
    +1 to this. When cattle are in a slatted shed they dont need to all feed at the same time. So just open the bale and land it in front of them in one piece. They will all get their share during the day with out the backache of piking silage. Really thought piking silage (especially bale silage) was a thing of the past. Pulling silage from a bale with a pike is probably one of the worst things you could do for your back. As well as not having to pike out the silage, it wont go off as fast if it left as a full bale.
    Ps . . . only use a pike, shovel etc when absolutely necessary and to lean on!! :D Otherwise leave it by the wall!

polod wrote: »
    Atilathehun

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73046981

Sure only a few weeks ago you were cutting silage 'like a dream' with a hay knife ?

Whats happened to you ? :pac:

Correct. Been forking the silage same way for years, despite having had disc op, 15 years ago.
    Just pulled the back again, about a fortnight ago, and in fair bit of difficulty right now.
    To hell with it, I'm going to get the Roto Spike, to help make my work load lighter. 90% of my bales are unchopped in any case.
    It's ordered. I'll have it by Friday.

Correct. Been forking the silage same way for years, despite having had disc op, 15 years ago.
    Just pulled the back again, about a fortnight ago, and in fair bit of difficulty right now.
    To hell with it, I'm going to get the Roto Spike, to help make my work load lighter. 90% of my bales are unchopped in any case.
    It's ordered. I'll have it by Friday.

back or no back if it makes life a bit easier then its a good thing, let us know how it works out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

So are you telling us that your father, who's near 70 and has had back problems, can climb up on a bale, balance on one foot in wellies while hopping up and down on a silage knife????? ..... :eek:

When's the next circus coming to leitrim?! People pay good money you know to see acrobatics like that! :p

Muckit wrote: »
    So are you telling us that your father, who's near 70 and has had back problems, can climb up on a bale, balance on one foot in wellies while hopping up and down on a silage knife????? ..... :eek:

When's the next circus coming to leitrim?! People pay good money you know to see acrobatics like that! :p

What's to stop my father from climbing on bales and splitting them? Just because he's near 70 and has had back problems in the past, doesn't mean that he's in a wheelchair. He had 3 discs rebuilt in his back. 2 in 1985 and 1 in 1990. He also had a disc removed in 1990. Exercise and light work is why he has overcome his back problems and isn't a cripple today!! Dad can back in a bale with the spike, pull out half way, and use the spike to bridge the height and can split bales at ease. Attillathehun's doctors too will recommend that he gets exercise in order to improve his back.

Back problems aren't for life if you get them treated properly!!

Reilig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I think you know your own mind. This machine will solve alot of your bale handling problems Atilathehun and at sensible money.

Some lads might say sure just roll the bale out yourself, but you can't do that with your back.

You would have alot of forking also with the bale splitter option.

Feed them little and often with the rotospike. Don't pile in 2 or 3 days worth as it won't suit you to be forking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Feeding 800 bales a year and the sprong is hardly ever used

Front loader is the key - and i see no reason in the world why the silage needs to be spread out like that video showed. That to me is a complete mess. You'd need a front loader after it to push it in. why on earth would anybody want to spread the silage from a bale out like that. Simply throw a bale down in each span. If you want to spread it a bit then take the first few layers off with the grab and distribute it throughout the span

I think a front loader - even if it 2 or 3 times the price - would be a way way better investment

Muckit wrote: »
    I think you know your own mind. This machine will solve alot of your bale handling problems Atilathehun and at sensible money.

Some lads might say sure just roll the bale out yourself, but you can't do that with your back.

You would have alot of forking also with the bale splitter option.

Feed them little and often with the rotospike. Don't pile in 2 or 3 days worth as it won't suit you to be forking.

Exactly my plan. It's probably just me, but opening a rake of bales at one time, and jamming up the passage with them, would drive me nuts. I like to open what can be eaten in two days max and preferrably one day. And with November temperatures up around 16 degrees, I think that's enough time to have silage open to atmosphere. Forking loose silage is no problem for me, and is nothing more than exercise. Trying to untangle the silage from the bale is a nightmare though.

But doctors differ and patients die. Seems on here that most lads, prefer to put a bale up to every pen, and let them at it.

I'll see how it goes, and report back in a few weeks, warts and all:confused:

Exactly my plan. It's probably just me, but opening a rake of bales at one time, and jamming up the passage with them, would drive me nuts. I like to open what can be eaten in two days max and preferrably one day. And with November temperatures up around 16 degrees, I think that's enough time to have silage open to atmosphere. Forking loose silage is no problem for me, and is nothing more than exercise. Trying to untangle the silage from the bale is a nightmare though.

But doctors differ and patients die. Seems on here that most lads, prefer to put a bale up to every pen, and let them at it.

I'll see how it goes, and report back in a few weeks, warts and all:confused:

How many animals and what type would you have in a pen?

Or how long would you expect a bale to last 1 pen of animals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭iano93

Could you not have gotton demo roto spike first to see if its worth the investmrnt?
    +1 on loader option too , we bought a loader a few years ago and it was the best thing that ever came round the place..couldn't imagine us ever not having one now...Extremely useful for almost anything

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Feeding 800 bales a year and the sprong is hardly ever used

Front loader is the key - and i see no reason in the world why the silage needs to be spread out like that video showed. That to me is a complete mess. You'd need a front loader after it to push it in. why on earth would anybody want to spread the silage from a bale out like that. Simply throw a bale down in each span. If you want to spread it a bit then take the first few layers off with the grab and distribute it throughout the span

I think a front loader - even if it 2 or 3 times the price - would be a way way better investment

hey Tipp man, would they eat the whole bale before you drop in another or do you just drop in a new bale everyday regardless. I find cows are always looking for fresh silage and are inclined to leave older stuff after them if they get a sniff of fresher stuff

• Advertisement

hey Tipp man, would they eat the whole bale before you drop in another or do you just drop in a new bale everyday regardless. I find cows are always looking for fresh silage and are inclined to leave older stuff after them if they get a sniff of fresher stuff

Your dead right the feckers would want new silage every couple of hours if they got it

We put in enough bales to last 2 days generally. If on the third day its not all gone then we throw in what's left (usually very little and usually because they can't reach it) and let them clean it up. We don't put in any new bales until its cleaned up - even if that means waiting till evening to feed them.

We find the silage will take much longer to go off if you don't go breaking the bale up to much - which is exactly what that video showed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I saw this advertised on the Journal this week. Company is Agri-Spread in Ballyhaunis Co Mayo.

http://www.agrispread.com/bale_feeder.html

Same video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq1GD4dYrV4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

pakalasa wrote: »
    I saw this advertised on the Journal this week. Company is Agri-Spread in Ballyhaunis Co Mayo.

http://www.agrispread.com/bale_feeder.html

Same video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq1GD4dYrV4

It looks the business :) only thing i think it needs a shoot like a tub/diet feeder.

Id imagine its crazy money though :eek:

Edit: just seen the quad x video seems a better one, one tractor is only needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

Did you ever buy that rotospike after that? and if you did how is it working out?

limo_100 wrote: »
    Did you ever buy that rotospike after that? and if you did how is it working out?

Yes, I got one. Very satisfied with it. Cut plasic when bale lying on side. Back in, pick bale, lift, manually unwind the netting. Drive forward, roll either clockwise or anticlockwise. Silage falls neatly along either barrier. Now only open enough bales for one day. Zero spoilage, in the mild weather we have been having. :cool:

Yes, I got one. Very satisfied with it. Cut plasic when bale lying on side. Back in, pick bale, lift, manually unwind the netting. Drive forward, roll either clockwise or anticlockwise. Silage falls neatly along either barrier. Now only open enough bales for one day. Zero spoilage, in the mild weather we have been having. :cool:
    good result so

Advertisement