Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Recommendation (Need to get rid of this Zyxel)

• 21-11-2011 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all

I have broadband with eircom and they supplied me with a Zyxel modem. I really want to get rid of this and get a decent solution.

Can anyone recommend a high quality modem (with gigabit ports, wifi, adsl2+ etc.)
    Can anyone recommend where to buy the modem?

Finally, has anyone ever disabled the routing on the zyxel and bridged it with a decent router?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What's wrong with the Zyxel provided by Eircom !?
    Are you a business or home user account !?

Part of the buying process are the reviews online,then order online from a local supplier or well known sites !

I have bridged the Zyxel,working fine no issues so far !

In order to give you a proper advise...what type of budget are we talking here !??

rolion wrote: »

It's a piece of junk that constantly drops the connection. I'm also looking for a replacement. I've had nothing but problems since I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

It's a piece of junk that constantly drops the connection. I'm also looking for a replacement. I've had nothing but problems since I got it.

try changing your security setting to wep,it solved my connection problems.I'd still recommend replacing it though try a netgear, thats what I bought and its so much better.

Squaredude wrote: »
    try changing your security setting to wep,it solved my connection problems.I'd still recommend replacing it though try a netgear, thats what I bought and its so much better.

I've always used wep, still have constant problems. It's constantly losing dsl synch.

I've always used wep, still have constant problems. It's constantly losing dsl synch.

Ah I see,in that case may I suggest a sledgehammer.I was only getting 3.5mbs from my zyxel instead of the 7 i was paying for,eircom said there was a problem with my line and that i'd need to get a technician out.I replaced the router instead and my speed went straight to 7mbs.

• Advertisement

Ah I see,in that case may I suggest a sledgehammer.I was only getting 3.5mbs from my zyxel instead of the 7 i was paying for,eircom said there was a problem with my line and that i'd need to get a technician out.I replaced the router instead and my speed went straight to 7mbs.
    The sledge hammer option has crossed my mind more than once, I haven't been able to play a decent game of battlefield 3 in almost two weeks. The connection speed goes from the extremely occasional 12mbs to the all time low of 0.67mbs, when it works.
    Sorry for hijacking your thread OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Brother got an Asus for the parents, not an issue since.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pixelFX

I have to reset the modem at least twice a day. Last night for example, when i tried to load 192.168.1.254 the page wouldn't even load. So only manually plugging out the device would do. I rarely use wireless in the house, only when I turn on the work laptop.
    Are you a business or home user account !?

Part of the buying process are the reviews online,then order online from a local supplier or well known sites !

I have bridged the Zyxel,working fine no issues so far !

In order to give you a proper advise...what type of budget are we talking here !??

I've been trawling reviews for 2 weeks now and no sooner do I settle on a Modem/Router than I find another review which highlights major issues with the device.

So I thought it would be best to find out what others would recommend and where they would recommend buying it.

I am willing to spend up to €250 on the modem, it must be dual band and it must be gigabit.

Alternatively I am willing to spend €100 on a modem (put it into bridge mode) and buy a high quality router for €150 - €200

I will also be buying 2 x 8 Port Gigabit switches.

The house is fully wired (every room has at least 1 Cat6 connection)

So if anyone could recommend their modem/router It would really help, and if you could suggest where to get them

I am currently looking at getting:

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20042237/D_Link_Wireless_N_Router_DIR_635/DIR_635_E/default.aspx

&

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/Site/Catalog/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=20000107

&

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_04RAND/18_NETWORK/15_SWITCH/productdetails/20001746/NETGEAR_GS60/GS608_300PES/default.aspx

I'll try this when I get home tonight, what netgear did you buy?

Before jumpimg in spending big money,i will take these steps:

-upgrade to factory default settings
    -upgrade software / formware on the router,as per Eircom standard (is web based in the router menu).You may wanna check with Eircom latest fware available !
    -reset back to factory settings,after upgrade
    -check internal wiring in the house for any visual faults
    -check filters on the line and on the router
    -unplug ALL devices except your laptop and run few tests
    -depending on result,i will plug all devices,one by one,cable by cable
    -check results as well ,after each cable.

If the connections still drops ,i will log a call with Eircom on 1890 260 260 and ask them to check the line for noise.
    If my physical line is OK,i will ask them to tell me if my router is flipping the connection,i mean if the router log on /log off from the ADSL line.They can tell you if the router is logging on/off due to line or hardware issues.

ONLY after i get the line OKed from Eircom AND still having problems i will investigate in buying another router.
    IF you buy another router,€300,and the line is noisy or faulty or overloaded...is pointless !

Good luck...

pixelFX wrote: »
    I'll try this when I get home tonight, what netgear did you buy?
    I bought a netgear dgn1000.Does the job for me.doesn't have great reviews online though,seems a lot of people had trouble with it,mines fine though.I wouldn't say its what your looking for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pixelFX

Before jumpimg in spending big money,i will take these steps:

-upgrade to factory default settings
    -upgrade software / formware on the router,as per Eircom standard (is web based in the router menu).You may wanna check with Eircom latest fware available !
    -reset back to factory settings,after upgrade
    -check internal wiring in the house for any visual faults
    -check filters on the line and on the router
    -unplug ALL devices except your laptop and run few tests
    -depending on result,i will plug all devices,one by one,cable by cable
    -check results as well ,after each cable.

If the connections still drops ,i will log a call with Eircom on 1890 260 260 and ask them to check the line for noise.
    If my physical line is OK,i will ask them to tell me if my router is flipping the connection,i mean if the router log on /log off from the ADSL line.They can tell you if the router is logging on/off due to line or hardware issues.

ONLY after i get the line OKed from Eircom AND still having problems i will investigate in buying another router.
    IF you buy another router,€300,and the line is noisy or faulty or overloaded...is pointless !

Good luck...

I'll check the mode tonight for firmware updates and reset factory defaults.
    I'll call Eircom tonight and have them check the line etc.

How would I go about testing the wiring in the house?
    I bought a netgear dgn1000.Does the job for me.doesn't have great reviews online though,seems a lot of people had trouble with it,mines fine though.I wouldn't say its what your looking for though.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Eircom replaced my Netopia with a black Zyxel Modem. I used it had no problems, the contention was higher on the settings of this modem, but the reason i changed it just looked cheap to me.

I went away and bought a netgear one for 132 euros.

And i bet myself that ,after we spent hundreds on new "shiny", once you open the inside of these lovely branded ADSL modems,you'll find same chipset and/or routing equipment,with small variations in software !

The main thing in ADSL technology is the quality of the physical line... my opinion !

Regards

Advertisement