Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukelele - Buying one

Options
  • 21-11-2011 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm considering buying a Ukulele as an xmas present for b/f who already plays various instruments. I have no idea about Ukuleles so has anyone any advice? Do they come in different sizes? (I saw Soprano / Concert sizes mentioned). So for a man what size is the right one? Have been looking on Thomann website. Don't want to spend too much (as not sure he'll stick with playing it) but also don't want to buy a piece of crap!! So how much would you recommend I spend and what size/type should I get? Do I need to buy anything else with it (that's needed for playing it etc.) All ADVICE very welcome!!

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

All you need to know.....

http://ukulelehunt.com/

Beware, Ukeleles are Addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Very interesting programme on BBC last night about George Formby and his UKE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Cheap ukuleles have a nasty tendency to sound....cheap. If your BF is musical he will quickly fall out of love with a nasty uke. Definitely dont spend less than €50 but 80 to 100 would be more like it. Where in the country are you? The Dublin Guitar Centre is good, or Powells in galway or Allegro Music in Cork. Or online there is www.strings.ie in Mayo

Oh aye re size. Soprano is the original uke size and in the eyes of many is the real deal. concert is a good size also but once you go to tenor and larger you may as well just play guitar. Im biased but i say soprano!

Advertisement